Gransnet forums

Chat

Lockdown. In the words of Thumper, if you can’t say anything nice, say nothing at all’

(50 Posts)
Marmight Sat 23-Jan-21 12:24:42

During this on going lockdown many of us are coping and many of us are not & many turn to GN for support for all kinds of reasons, which there is in abundance. However, there are also a number of posters who appear to jump down people’s throats, are always right, always know better, are far wiser, have been there and done that and don’t seem to consider the possible vulnerability of those they are addressing. There are ways & means of conveying our opinions. I think many of us have a list of those we avoid on GN and, more than likely, IRL they are probably very pleasant people. I know quite a few GNers who have stopped posting or even left because of the attitude of others. I’m all for a bit of cut & thrust and exchange of views and obviously we all have vastly different opinions on just about everything, but in these trying times let us all think & consider before putting the proverbial pen to paper ?

Chewbacca Sat 23-Jan-21 22:16:10

That argument sketch is a classic!

And never more relevant! grin

Jane10 Sat 23-Jan-21 21:30:09

MissAdventure and Chewbacca FYI I found a treasure trove of Monty Python on Netflix. That argument sketch is a classic!

lemsip Sat 23-Jan-21 21:21:38

oh dear, here we go again!

Summerlove Sat 23-Jan-21 21:04:15

Kim19

Thank you, Marmight. You echo my thoughts but perhaps far more articulately. However, I simply move on when the going gets rough and head to another topic of interest. I've no doubt the anonymity gives people the feeling of power. Maybe they're frustrated in real life? What would I know?! Happily there are many gentle sites on here too. I never feel the need to withdraw my interest completely. Not at all.

On a thread asking for kindness....you choose to be snide about other posters.

Maybe think about that?

lemsip Sat 23-Jan-21 20:56:27

im reposting this.
I don't think comments should be personalised to another 'name' Just comment. . Gransnet is an open forum for all posters to have a 'voice'. Never a need to be aggressive to another. still put what you think though.
Think twice before 'biting back'.
never miss a good chance to Shut Up. as Dr Phil says.

Oldwoman70 Sat 23-Jan-21 17:11:38

It is true there have been several similar threads on here, but nothing changes. I know several people who whilst still logging in to GN no longer post. They didn't make a big fuss saying they were leaving (hoping everyone would beg them to stay) just stopped leaving comments.

Doodledog Sat 23-Jan-21 16:56:47

There are so many of these threads, but I never know what or who they are about, and they make me feel completely out of the loop.

In my experience, people who should take notice of digs and implications like these are the ones who assume that it's not about them, and the ones who worry that they have caused offence are the ones who really haven't. These ones often stop posting, which is such a shame.

A lot of the time I think it is just that people have different styles. Some enjoy a good debate, and others prefer to keep things light and breezy, hating what they see as 'sniping'. The world 'argument' can mean either a reasoned (or heated) discussion, or a slanging match, and there is a huge difference.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Jan-21 16:55:03

Well, I'm glad it made someone smile! smile

Chewbacca Sat 23-Jan-21 16:52:26

Good heaven's MissA I remember that Monty Python sketch from its original showing! grin Wish they'd do a rerun of the full series.

kircubbin2000 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:45:52

Names.

kircubbin2000 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:45:23

I haven't seen these posts but I think making a list is a great idea, perhaps with a note e.g. likes animals, lives abroad, had invalid hubby. I still have no image of these posters and dont know na es. Perhaps its just me as the rest of you who post more often all seem to know each other. I wonder who will be on my nasty list.?

nadateturbe Sat 23-Jan-21 16:39:20

Funny sketch but I see nothing pleasant in arguing.

Toadinthehole Sat 23-Jan-21 16:37:56

I was wondering whether it would be possible to have some threads...particularly those which have the potential to be contentious, where we simply don’t use our user names. It’s easy enough to quote what someone has said, and then respond to it. Sometimes, I think a username can invoke hostility. Also, you still get ‘ to know ‘ people by their username, and then this can open up the doors for nastiness to happen. We could still build up relationships with people on the general threads. We would have the choice. Just a thought.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Jan-21 16:28:04

youtu.be/ohDB5gbtaEQ

nadateturbe Sat 23-Jan-21 16:22:50

Marmight your reply to Lucca "here's another one. No need to comment"
You were saying people should be nice to each other. I can't see how it was appropriate then to answer Lucca in this way. And I do think you were making a good point on your thread. ?

Blondiescot Sat 23-Jan-21 15:23:38

timetogo2016

Oh lord.
We all have opinions be it right or wrong from other peoples point of view.
But it`s your opinion that matters.

Absolutely - if you don't like it, scroll past! That's the easiest way to avoid getting "offended" by something.

timetogo2016 Sat 23-Jan-21 15:14:13

Oh lord.
We all have opinions be it right or wrong from other peoples point of view.
But it`s your opinion that matters.

Ellianne Sat 23-Jan-21 15:11:05

I don't think I need a thread to express what I feel about any feisty (unkind) comments because I try to tackle them at the time. Then move on. I sense there is one poster who if I said it were cold today would say it is hot, but nevermind!
Funny you say that cornishpasty, I wonder if you're thinking about the after dark poster, since disappeared, who was unpleasant to some lovely people on here.

Blossoming Sat 23-Jan-21 15:03:17

I have had only one person be seriously unpleasant to me in here, and it was a bit surprising as it’s someone you wouldn’t expect it from. I didn’t respond or retaliate, just made a mental note. I’ve no idea why they did it but I won’t give them a chance to do it again! This is generally a pretty good place, I have administered a forum for people with brain injuries and believe me when you throw cognitive deficits into the mix it’s like being the safety officer in a firework factory where all the employees are heavy smokers.

Callistemon Sat 23-Jan-21 14:57:32

I think Marmight meant well.
I have never found her to be unkind or provocative so if anyone was provoked I'm sure it was unintentional.

Sadly, such threads often do end in acrimony. Ironically!

25Avalon Sat 23-Jan-21 14:50:37

???

sodapop Sat 23-Jan-21 14:44:30

Sometimes though I just want to say 'for goodness sake get a grip' and have to move quickly to another thread before I actually type in the words.

cornishpatsy Sat 23-Jan-21 13:45:00

I wonder if there are people that live alone but are angry and want an argument so try to start one on here.

I have suspected that there was a poster who used to start a thread knowing it was going to cause unpleasantness even commenting on it with her other identity. Maybe too much wine.

Could have been just my suspicious mind but I did look back at previous posts by both of them, yes I was that bored, and their style and phrases were too similar to be a coincidence.

I do not understand why people concentrate on the one negative comment and ignore all the positive ones in a thread, ignoring what the thread is about and just replying to the negative comment.

Chewbacca Sat 23-Jan-21 13:15:14

I think some threads degenerate into unpleasantness when posters allow their personal enmity between them, and another poster, to get the better of them by conducting a series of personal jibes. It makes for uncomfortable reading for everyone else, especially when you can see that it goes from thread to thread.

Marmight Sat 23-Jan-21 13:10:21

Really Nadate? I thought it appropriate under the circumstances I’ll not post another word on the subject other than to follow Thumper’s fine example.
??