Gransnet forums

Chat

Its Burns Night tonight!

(58 Posts)
Alegrias1 Mon 25-Jan-21 10:17:40

I hope you'll be having a fine haggis tonight and a wee dram to toast the Immortal Memory wink

And since we can't travel anywhere just now......

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here
My heart's in the Highlands, a-chasing the deer,
A-chasing the wild deer, and following the roe
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go

Daddima Wed 27-Jan-21 12:34:50

Greyduster

I have no association with Burns night, but my son sent me a joke today.
“A couple of my friends are having a joint party for Chinese New Year and Burns Night. They are calling it Chinese-Burns Night. I didn’t want to go, but they twisted my arm!”

???

Greyduster Tue 26-Jan-21 21:43:40

I have no association with Burns night, but my son sent me a joke today.
“A couple of my friends are having a joint party for Chinese New Year and Burns Night. They are calling it Chinese-Burns Night. I didn’t want to go, but they twisted my arm!”

Marydoll Tue 26-Jan-21 21:35:49

Is it a doughnut or am I wrang? ( am I wrong?)

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jan-21 20:53:56

Marydoll I’m still repeating it ....
?

Marydoll Tue 26-Jan-21 19:44:41

It took me a minute to get that! DH came in and I was saying it over and over to myself, before it clicked!! I'm losing my touch. grin

grannypiper Tue 26-Jan-21 18:14:16

Daddima loved it, nearly as good as Aman walked into the bakers and asked "is that a doughnut or a meringue Naw yer right enough replied the baker.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 19:26:36

Daddima, I remember it well! I spent six weeks in high dependancy there, just after I got married! sad

It's long gone now.

Daddima Mon 25-Jan-21 19:23:13

Marydoll this one might only work for Glaswegians-

The wee fellow collapsed and woke up in hospital. When he looked, John Wayne was in the bed next to him. He looked on the other side, and Clint Eastwood was in that bed.
“ Where am I?” he asked the nurse.
“ You’re in the Western”, was the reply.

I’ll get my coat.

Jaxjacky Mon 25-Jan-21 19:09:32

I left it too late to get a haggis ? but my daughter posted this vegetarian haggis with a whisky sauce.

Grammaretto Mon 25-Jan-21 19:05:31

You can get a season ticket for Celtic Connections on-line .
for £40 and watch the recorded shows for up to a week afterwards. I am even tempted myself grin
I have seen one concert so far and it was brill.
www.celticconnections.com/

Grammaretto Mon 25-Jan-21 19:02:28

Ah Marydoll that Burns unit joke always makes me laugh. grin
Thank you xx

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 18:47:17

A wee joke.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 18:40:15

This was sent to me.

EllanVannin Mon 25-Jan-21 18:12:29

Sadly I couldn't get a haggis from M&S today---all gone sad so I've made do with Chinese ribs ( luscious ) and it looks like a coroners inquest on my plate now !

Alegrias1 Mon 25-Jan-21 17:50:53

I like "Hermless"! I'm missing Celtic Connections too, we always travel through to see some of the shows. Are you watching any of it online paddyanne? I can recommend Rhiannon Giddens.

paddyanne Mon 25-Jan-21 17:47:17

Alegrias I love Michael Marra we've seen him live 8 times.Love Mother Glasgow its one of my favourite songs .Miss Celtic Connections this year ,it always keeps us amused and busy during a long January .

grannypiper Mon 25-Jan-21 17:36:36

We drove past Tam O'Shanter's cottage today in Kirkoswald and then walked around Alloway , past Burns cottage to the bridge and toasted Rabbie with Scotland's other national drink, Irn Bru. There was no haggis in this house just tatties, neeps and mince.
My Father has never been a fan of Burn's, he never understood why he never understood why he wrote about every woman in his life except his Mother

May7 Mon 25-Jan-21 16:41:00

Thank you paddyanne Eddie Reader sings that beautifully. In fact all the songs on that album are gorgeous. smile

Urmstongran Mon 25-Jan-21 16:38:59

One of the most beautiful songs every written. Superbly performed here. Thanks for the link paddyanne.
?

Alegrias1 Mon 25-Jan-21 16:33:14

Speaking of Michael Marra...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-n-WIcj_M

I was there in the Concert Hall, listening to him sing this. Just fabulous.

Her prentice han' she tried on man, and then she made the lassies O

Daddima Mon 25-Jan-21 16:26:53

Paddyanne this is the ONLY acceptable version of the song!

youtu.be/cDfigq_OMLM

paddyanne Mon 25-Jan-21 16:22:34

I did consider Michael Marras version of this but thought his accent might be "difficult" to understand

paddyanne Mon 25-Jan-21 16:21:38

youtu.be/RMmtBgMaF5I

merlotgran Mon 25-Jan-21 14:46:11

Actually, I just found some frozen pork and mozzarella burgers that I made for a cancelled barbecue in the summer. We may have those tonight.

Burns Night is taking on a slightly weird slant. grin

kittylester Mon 25-Jan-21 14:39:27

Kangaroo steaks, Merlot.

GF black pudding is prohibitive too.

Actually, I just found some frozen pork and mozzarella burgers that I made for a cancelled barbecue in the summer. We may have those tonight.