Gransnet forums

Chat

Debenhams buy out

(27 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 25-Jan-21 10:42:06

I see that Boohoo are buying Debenhams and are not planning to reopen the stores, just continuing with the online business. This is going to leave a big hole in a lot of high streets. I used to make a point of looking at one stage, but they have lost a lot of shine over the years. Apparently the online shop attracts 300 million hits a year. I don't really like the online offering either, so I guess that I'm not their target audience any more. I wonder what state the high street will be in when this is over?

Ellianne Mon 25-Jan-21 10:45:48

Another one bites the dust. Shame.
Debenhams shops on the high street are usually pretty huge. Who is going to want to take them over?

Tangerine Mon 25-Jan-21 10:48:09

I find Debenhams very good and am sorry they are closing. It is terrible news for all the staff.

Even though I am capable of shopping online, I do like to go into shops. It is a trip out and you often bump into someone you know - I realise, with Covid, things are different but I am talking in general terms.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 10:51:16

I've never heard of Boohoo

What a pity, but must say that some Debenhams stores seemed to have lost their way a few years ago and were untidy, messy and not an appealing place to shop.

BigBertha1 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:07:13

DH is bereft. Where will he get his knickers and socks now he asks?

Ellianne Mon 25-Jan-21 11:10:37

Knickers?! grin

Daisymae Mon 25-Jan-21 11:43:14

Boohoo are high fashion week aimed at the younger market. Maybe they are looking to diversify?

MawBe Mon 25-Jan-21 11:52:57

Don’t forget Boohoo’s links with Leicester sweatshops hmm

EllanVannin Mon 25-Jan-21 12:00:37

Most of the big old shops have gone now. I shudder to think what they'll be replaced with but things won't be the same again.
I was devastated when Lewis's closed, then Beattie's with the rest of the decent shops following.

It rather looks as though they will have the younger market in their sights.

JaneJudge Mon 25-Jan-21 12:03:29

there will be nothing left in my nearest big town and there doesn't seem to be any plans 'moving forward' either. An independent department store closed, BHS has gone, then M&S, then next, now Debenhams

Candelle Mon 25-Jan-21 12:14:34

Boohoo has bought the Debenhams name but not the stores.

The shops will not reopen under the Debenhams name but could possibly be bought by another company. However, running high street shops, particularly those as large as Debenhams, is an extremely costly business.

I wonder if they will be transformed into housing...?

This is partly our fault as we have taken to online shopping in a major way....

JaneJudge Mon 25-Jan-21 12:19:31

I hope it is repurposed as housing or SOMETHING it is depressing

Blossoming Mon 25-Jan-21 12:19:41

Boohoo sell a lot of cheap tat, it’s fast fashion aimed at the young. I’m looking at more sustainable shopping these days.

nanna8 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:20:29

I used to buy Debenhams online, wonder if they will still have that ?

sodapop Mon 25-Jan-21 12:21:31

I don't think this is Covid related in the main, Debenhams lost their way many years ago. A bit like M &S they didn't know what customer groups they were aiming for. Latterly many of their shops resembled jumble sales and the staff appeared to have lost interest. I suppose there were pockets of excellence but few and far between. Sadly the day of the department store seems to have gone.

Daisymae Mon 25-Jan-21 12:24:26

If you look at our nearest High Street I would say that extortionate car parking fees and difficult one way systems don't help. In the most convenient car park it's £10 if you go over 2 hours.

Charleygirl5 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:54:04

My local Debenhams is not on the main road so I am certain it will be blocks of flats. My council also think people should walk or ride a bike so no car park spaces are being provided.

Kim19 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:56:40

I've been told my nearest D is currently being converted into flats.

Kamiso Mon 25-Jan-21 12:59:22

The department store locally is being turned into student accommodation. It’s an enormous building with quirky level and twists and turns.

We’ve still got an M&S but it seems to be a dumping ground for all unsold items and seconds.

Galaxy Mon 25-Jan-21 12:59:32

I think that's a good thing to be honest. I am just not sure there is any call for those type of department stores anymore. I quite liked debenhams online so will have a look what boohoo does with it.

chelseababy Mon 25-Jan-21 13:07:42

JaneJudge are you near Bedford by any chance? Debenhams closing will be a big loss to the town and a huge square footage. At the moment the high street is being converted to a single lane to allow more shoppers and browsing and a "cafe culture" Fat chance.

lemongrove Mon 25-Jan-21 13:09:35

I won’t be buying anything from Boohoo, owned by billionaires who have some ( maybe quite a lot?)of their garments made in Asian sweatshops in Leicester.Remember the £5 dress?

Debenhams stores could well be made into apartments, as many younger couples like to live in the city.

Gwyneth Mon 25-Jan-21 13:14:47

Very sad to hear about Debenhams shops closing and feel very sorry for the staff. From what I’ve heard Boohoo is mainly targeted at young people and the quality is poor. Haven’t bought anything myself though.

JaneJudge Mon 25-Jan-21 13:21:21

chelseababy

JaneJudge are you near Bedford by any chance? Debenhams closing will be a big loss to the town and a huge square footage. At the moment the high street is being converted to a single lane to allow more shoppers and browsing and a "cafe culture" Fat chance.

yep sad all that stuff they have built by the river too, it is all going to be empty after covid. They really need to think about what is going to happen to keep the remaining spaces at capacity.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 13:30:59

MawBe

Don’t forget Boohoo’s links with Leicester sweatshops hmm

Yes, I realise now I have heard of Boohoo.
That's where I read about them.

Surely cheap, disposable goods and clothes made by exploited workers in dreadful conditions here and overseas is not the way to go?
It's very depressing.