Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you been notified of £3.50 monthly increase on Virginmedia bill? Here’s how to cancel it..

(39 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Mon 25-Jan-21 22:39:41

Like many, I received a letter saying my Virginmedia bill would increase by £3.50 per month on March 1st. I read this tip this evening online and put it it to the test and it worked. No need to even speak to a caller as it’s automated.

From your Virgin landline dial 150. Select option 1 to confirm account. Then option 4. Then option 4 again to say you are thinking of leaving. Then you will hear “great news we are offering you a discount of £3.50 for 6 months which will not affect your current service or require a new contract”

I pressed 1 to accept the discount and it said my account would be updated with the £3.50 discount applied. The entire process took 5 mins.

Apparently they have been inundated with calls from customers asking to cancel their contract, which they must allow, prior to the annual increase. So they’ve set up an automated process to offer a discount equal to the proposed increase to discourage customers from leaving.

Pepper59 Fri 04-Feb-22 23:56:27

Bump

glammanana Fri 28-Jan-22 10:20:37

Bump in case anyone missed it 1st time

Grannynannywanny Thu 27-Jan-22 18:38:25

That’s a great discount glammanana, well done for finding and sharing it.

glammanana Thu 27-Jan-22 18:10:13

GNW After reading your post about Virgin increase I read Martin Lewis's report about the other Companies increasing their charges in March he stated that BT who I am with has a new section for people who claim Pension Credit,its called Home Essential Package and it gives discounts to people who receive Guaranteed Pension Credit it can be done even if you are half way through a specified contract.
Today I had my BB & Landline reduced to £20.00 from £43.00 the service started in December 2021 and is not offered you have to apply for it either on line or telephone.
I hope this helps some GNers is some way.

Grannynannywanny Thu 27-Jan-22 10:44:37

If you’re phoning them Fanny jot down some current prices first that you want them to match. They know that you can leave without penalty due to the price increase. I quoted a new customer £29.99 deal they were advertising for the package I’ve been paying £36.50 on my contract. After a few minutes of polite haggling they gave me it for £27 instead of increasing to £41. If you can see better deals with their competitors quote them.

FannyCornforth Thu 27-Jan-22 10:29:25

Oh brilliant! grin
Thank you GNW for this threadthanks
I will try it later, if I can face contacting the thieving varmints again wink

Grannynannywanny Thu 27-Jan-22 10:21:54

Oh. I didn’t realise that this was an old thread.
Does the advice that GNW give still work?

Yes Fanny the thread was activated again last week by someone when the Virgin letters started to arrive with the March price hike. My friend had similar from BT. Looks like they’re all at it.

They’ve set up an automated reply again this year for anyone phoning to accept a discount to cancel the increase for 6 months. I’d recommend ignoring that first and select “thinking of leaving” option. My bill has been reduced by £9 for the next 18 months. Now on £27 instead of proposed £41 for superfast broadband, tv package and landline with weekend calls. Maybe I was just lucky but I secured that deal with minimal haggling with someone on the cancellations team.

Jane43 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:07:56

They will always offer a lower price if you contact them. It is the same with Now tv, when you cancel your pass they will offer you a lower price. The full price of the entertainment pass is £9.99 a month but I have never paid that much, I had a free trial then paid £3.99 for 6 months, when that came to an end I cancelled it and was offered a further 6 months for £3.99 a month.

FannyCornforth Thu 27-Jan-22 10:03:33

Oh. I didn’t realise that this was an old thread sad
Does the advice that GNW give still work?

FannyCornforth Thu 27-Jan-22 09:59:18

GNW I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of Virgin.

I started a thread about them a while ago.

I spent 2 hours trying to sort out a better deal to absolutely no avail.

I actually believe that it was impossible at the time because I head the (final) call handler talking to her supervisor trying to get something for me.
It was definitely a case of ‘computer says no’.

Anyway, I arranged to swap to Sky (which wasn’t ideal as I’d lose my email address).

When I rang to properly, finally cancel with Virgin, they managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

I’m annoyed with myself for sticking with them, but the email thing is what keeps me shackled to the robbing b******s. angry

Pepper59 Thu 27-Jan-22 09:54:36

Bump

Lilypops Thu 27-Jan-22 09:28:32

I have been with Virgin media for a few years now, I had a letter informing me of an increase of £8.50 a month ,
I took Grannywannys advice just now , and I have been offered the £8.50 discount for six months,
I think they just try this on, and expect people to just take it ,
It’s a ready recorded message so they must expect some complaints.
When the six months is up I will do the same again ,

Esspee Thu 27-Jan-22 08:51:16

Recently I received notice that my TalkTalk bill was going up by a substantial amount. Being retired I persevered with their customer retentions team and after a very long call where I kept telling them I wanted to cancel unless they brought my bill back to the level I was currently paying and included free U.K. calls I eventually settled on paying just £1 a month more on an 18 month contract.
My memory is awful so the details are fuzzy but it is around the £22 a month mark for landline with inclusive calls to U.K. landlines and mobiles, and super fast fibre broadband.
If you are paying more get on the phone and tell them you are moving to another supplier.

bookwormbabe Thu 27-Jan-22 08:38:27

Thank you. We had the letter too, will try this later.

Pepper59 Wed 26-Jan-22 20:17:29

Bumping this for another poster who asked about it.

Grannynannywanny Sun 23-Jan-22 21:12:29

I started this thread a year ago and it threw me to see it active again! I’ll share with you my success in recent days to cancel out the £4.50 Virgin rise due in March. BT are also increasing their prices.

If you read the details in the Virgin letter informing of the £4.50 increase from March you’ll see you have the option to cancel without penalty and take your business elsewhere if you find a better deal. It gives you negotiating power as they don’t want to lose you.

I’ve been paying £36.50 for my package. I phoned 150, selected the thinking of leaving option and told call handler I wasn’t happy about the £4.50 increase. I quoted the £29.99 deal they are advertising for new customers for my package and asked them nicely to put me on that deal. She said at first I could have it for £35. I said I would like my years of loyalty rewarded by paying the same as a new customer. Hey presto, I’ve now got a new contract for £27 instead of the proposed £41 from March. That’s superfast broadband, tv package with tv360 box and landline with free weekend calls.

I think all the main providers are hiking their prices in March. They are hoping most folk will take it lying down. C’mon gransnetters don’t let them do it you!

Pepper59 Sun 23-Jan-22 20:44:31

Thank you very much. Followed the instructions and got the 6 month reduction. For anyone else it's worth a try and just ignore the part directing you to the website.

Caleo Sun 23-Jan-22 20:09:56

Thanks Grannynannywannny. I have just this minute done it and it seems to have worked.

Dickens Sun 23-Jan-22 15:58:55

... did they say why they were increasing the bill in the first place?

I think GN'ers should form a Union and question ALL such price rises - ask them why and who will benefit!

... I doubt the front-line workers will get a pay rise out of it...

LoobbyLoo Sun 23-Jan-22 15:30:58

Virgin media are at it again with an increse in prices, anyone got any tips for a discount like the original poster of 2021 actioned. I did try this in 2021 and it worked. Wondered if anyone has any tryed it again for this year 2022?

monk08 Wed 27-Jan-21 08:46:15

Thanks GNW have followed your instructions worked a treat thanks

Grannynannywanny Wed 27-Jan-21 00:05:09

Great, I’m delighted to see many of you have secured the discount!

Teacheranne Tue 26-Jan-21 23:58:14

I tried again this evening and got straight through, there must have been a lot of Gransnetters phoning!

Thanks for the tip

NannyDee Tue 26-Jan-21 22:47:33

It’s just worked for me too, many thanks for the tip. ???

LoobbyLoo Tue 26-Jan-21 22:15:25

Just tried this and has worked for me also, thanks for the tip ???.