Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you been notified of £3.50 monthly increase on Virginmedia bill? Here’s how to cancel it..

(38 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Mon 25-Jan-21 22:39:41

Like many, I received a letter saying my Virginmedia bill would increase by £3.50 per month on March 1st. I read this tip this evening online and put it it to the test and it worked. No need to even speak to a caller as it’s automated.

From your Virgin landline dial 150. Select option 1 to confirm account. Then option 4. Then option 4 again to say you are thinking of leaving. Then you will hear “great news we are offering you a discount of £3.50 for 6 months which will not affect your current service or require a new contract”

I pressed 1 to accept the discount and it said my account would be updated with the £3.50 discount applied. The entire process took 5 mins.

Apparently they have been inundated with calls from customers asking to cancel their contract, which they must allow, prior to the annual increase. So they’ve set up an automated process to offer a discount equal to the proposed increase to discourage customers from leaving.

Lilypops Mon 25-Jan-21 23:19:19

Thankyou GNW. I had a letter from Virgin telling they were increasing by £3.50 per month, I will try this tomorrow, thanks for the tip,
I love the way companies say we are increasing your bill and you don’t need to do anything !! How nice of them !

Grannynannywanny Mon 25-Jan-21 23:29:22

Good luck Lilypops I hope it works for you.

Grannynannywanny Mon 25-Jan-21 23:35:07

PS ignore the suggestion at the beginning of the call to go to their website to deal with your query due to the large volume of calls. The automated service was simple and only took a few minutes.

Lilypops Tue 26-Jan-21 08:54:00

GNW. Thankyou , it worked I did exactly as you described. And they offered me a discount of £4.50 for 6 months ,
When the six months are up ,I will try it again. , Many thanks for telling us about it. X

Lolo81 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:22:25

Fantastic tip, thank you! I generally call them every year and have a moan anyway and they stick some discounts on my account so I don’t go to BT, so if you don’t also do this it’s definitely worth an hour or so of your day to save some more.

Nonnie Tue 26-Jan-21 10:40:24

Didn't work for us, they kept sending new contracts which were for a year and then the price nearly doubled! Please check your new contracts carefully.

Instead, we chose a new supplier and called Virgin to cancel, we now have a new contract with virgin at £9 a month cheaper than we were paying!

FindingNemo15 Tue 26-Jan-21 11:04:32

Just been notified that TalkTalk are increasing their prices too.

Grannynannywanny Tue 26-Jan-21 11:21:14

Delighted to see some of you are having success with the discount! This is out with the normal negotiating you would do at contract renewal time to try to avoid a price hike that they always want to add.

This discount is set up to cancel out the proposed increase from March 1st for all customers. They have to give customers the option to cancel their contract before Feb 28th if they were unhappy with the increase.

It seems their phone lines were jammed with customers phoning to complain so they’ve set up this automated discount which in effect cancels out the proposed increase.

They’ll be hoping most customers will just accept the increase. I was quite chuffed last night to sort it in a few mins just at the press of a button.

May7 Tue 26-Jan-21 11:27:17

Thanks for the tip. It worked for me too this morning smile

Teacheranne Tue 26-Jan-21 12:32:33

I’ve just tried this tip and all I get after dialling 150 is a message saying all lines are busy and try again later! I guess everyone is following this advice right now!

Grannynannywanny Tue 26-Jan-21 13:20:35

That’s annoying Teacheranne. Try again later. I did it at 10pm last night. It seems to be available out with their normal hours.

narg Tue 26-Jan-21 13:22:24

Thank you so much for the information. I have just managed to do it.

LoobbyLoo Tue 26-Jan-21 22:15:25

Just tried this and has worked for me also, thanks for the tip ???.

NannyDee Tue 26-Jan-21 22:47:33

It’s just worked for me too, many thanks for the tip. ???

Teacheranne Tue 26-Jan-21 23:58:14

I tried again this evening and got straight through, there must have been a lot of Gransnetters phoning!

Thanks for the tip

Grannynannywanny Wed 27-Jan-21 00:05:09

Great, I’m delighted to see many of you have secured the discount!

monk08 Wed 27-Jan-21 08:46:15

Thanks GNW have followed your instructions worked a treat thanks

LoobbyLoo Sun 23-Jan-22 15:30:58

Virgin media are at it again with an increse in prices, anyone got any tips for a discount like the original poster of 2021 actioned. I did try this in 2021 and it worked. Wondered if anyone has any tryed it again for this year 2022?

Dickens Sun 23-Jan-22 15:58:55

... did they say why they were increasing the bill in the first place?

I think GN'ers should form a Union and question ALL such price rises - ask them why and who will benefit!

... I doubt the front-line workers will get a pay rise out of it...

Caleo Sun 23-Jan-22 20:09:56

Thanks Grannynannywannny. I have just this minute done it and it seems to have worked.

Pepper59 Sun 23-Jan-22 20:44:31

Thank you very much. Followed the instructions and got the 6 month reduction. For anyone else it's worth a try and just ignore the part directing you to the website.

Grannynannywanny Sun 23-Jan-22 21:12:29

I started this thread a year ago and it threw me to see it active again! I’ll share with you my success in recent days to cancel out the £4.50 Virgin rise due in March. BT are also increasing their prices.

If you read the details in the Virgin letter informing of the £4.50 increase from March you’ll see you have the option to cancel without penalty and take your business elsewhere if you find a better deal. It gives you negotiating power as they don’t want to lose you.

I’ve been paying £36.50 for my package. I phoned 150, selected the thinking of leaving option and told call handler I wasn’t happy about the £4.50 increase. I quoted the £29.99 deal they are advertising for new customers for my package and asked them nicely to put me on that deal. She said at first I could have it for £35. I said I would like my years of loyalty rewarded by paying the same as a new customer. Hey presto, I’ve now got a new contract for £27 instead of the proposed £41 from March. That’s superfast broadband, tv package with tv360 box and landline with free weekend calls.

I think all the main providers are hiking their prices in March. They are hoping most folk will take it lying down. C’mon gransnetters don’t let them do it you!

Pepper59 Wed 26-Jan-22 20:17:29

Bumping this for another poster who asked about it.

bookwormbabe Thu 27-Jan-22 08:38:27

Thank you. We had the letter too, will try this later.