Gransnet forums

Chat

Losing my friend because of vaccine, Feeling very guilty

(54 Posts)
JeannieB44 Tue 26-Jan-21 12:52:10

My husband is 74 with ill health and I am 66 with health problems. Last week my husband was offered the vaccine and as his unofficial carer (we do not claim carers allowance) they offered me the vaccine too, I did not ask for it and was very surprised to be offered. I realise how very fortunate we are and that others may not be happy that we had had it. I told my supposed best friend who proceeded to tell me how unfair the system was the general assumption being I should have refused the vaccine, not even sure she was happy my husband had had it. One of her children had it because their job is connected to the health service but she mainly works from home and I was pleased for her. If the position had been reversed I know without any doubt I would have been happy for her to have had it. I felt undecided what to do and now feel really guilty. I honestly feel I will lose a friend over this.

welbeck Wed 27-Jan-21 17:57:06

well that's unanimous ! how rare on here.
OP, you would not be able to claim carer's allowance as you are of pensionable age.
however, your husband could probably claim attendance allowance, and should do so if not already.

Madgran77 Wed 27-Jan-21 18:40:31

The principle is to vaccinate the most vulnerable first ...BURT the vaccines have limited life once opened and it is FAR better that they are used rather than chucked in the bin, Your friend is being unkind, illogical, envious and needs to get over herself. Sorry - I know that sounds harsh but I have absolutely no sympathy for her!

rafichagran Wed 27-Jan-21 18:59:16

Your friend is being unking, but this horrible virus is bringing out the worst in people.