Gransnet forums

Chat

Which type of home do you prefer!

(133 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:40:37

Just that really! Myself having lived in terraced house, detached, semi, I am interested as what others prefer! I’ve never lived in a bungalow, quite fancy a detached bungalow though,

Calendargirl Thu 28-Jan-21 16:17:17

We live in a detached bungalow, which I love.

Before that, it was an end terrace.

We now have a garden and a garage.

maydonoz Thu 28-Jan-21 16:23:24

We have lived in many different types of homes from flats in apartment blocks but we usually chose up to the third floor, neither myself or DH like heights very much. We also lived in semi-detached houses a few times which we enjoyed.
However one of the flats we lived in we had very noisy neighbours, as in family quarrels which all the neighbours heard. Most of us were tolerant towards the family as the lady concerned was disabled with bilateral below knee amputations, so it was probably due to frustration. They were perfectly civil to neighbours and when we were moving the lady apologised to us for being "rotten neighbours"
Where we live now is a semi-detached house in a quiet cul-de-sac with lovely neighbours. We have an excellent bus service and are close to a village, GP Surgery and local shops. Although the house was quite rundown when we bought it, walked the feel of it a d haven't looked back. Now two and half years on we've got it to a reasonable state and are very happy here.

maydonoz Thu 28-Jan-21 16:24:59

We liked not walked

Riverwalk Thu 28-Jan-21 17:01:22

I love reading about everyone's houses.

In an ideal world we'd all live in a detached house with no noisy neighbours!

But for me location is everything - I live in the thick of things with all the amenities, and the aggravations that go with it! smile

GagaJo Thu 28-Jan-21 17:13:00

I've liked different things in different homes. I've had detached, semi, terraced, flats of my own, flats in a school boarding house, and a flat right in the middle of the business part of a school.

For me, as long as the neighbours are quiet, being attached to others isn't an issue as I am very quiet myself. I have had a flat where a neighbour used to sing, badly and loudly, which was irritating. Where I am now, the student upstairs has at times SKATEBOARDED over my head. She doesn't do it anymore. ? ? ?

The thing I have LOVED most of all in all the places I have lived is being up high enough to have a view and having an upstairs, curtainless sitting room. I loved that and if I move again, will look for a house with an upstairs sitting room, possibly with a study and dining room downstairs.

I would also really like a 3rd floor, loft conversion bedroom for myself. My desired next/final location is in a tiny Northumbrian hamlet, only 3 streets, next to the sea. I want to convert the attic to have an attic bedroom overlooking the sea.

LadyGracie Thu 28-Jan-21 17:19:14

We lived in a detached house for 20 years and now live in a detached bungalow, I would never go back to a semi or terraced or even a flat, we lived in a few of those too.

sodapop Thu 28-Jan-21 17:25:10

We live in an old detached village house, we have to drive to the shops or any amenities. As we get older I do worry about maintaining the house and being able to get to the shops. We enjoy living here but ideally I would like to go back to the coast.

BlueSky Thu 28-Jan-21 17:25:33

Detached bungalow is now our dream. There’s a lot to be said for bungalows at our age! Otherwise apartment in a complex for the ‘Elderly and Beautiful ‘! wink

PECS Thu 28-Jan-21 17:33:18

I have enjoyed living in all my homes, from a terraced maisonette to our current detached. It is who shares the space that makes it a home.
Though I guess neighbours can make or break a home or if the surrounding changes..i.e a quiet side road becomes a busy bus route or HS2 changes local environment.

harrigran Thu 28-Jan-21 17:35:17

I have lived in a terraced cottage, a top floor flat and in a semi detached house which I love.
The present house is the last semi at the top of the street, it had enough space for us to almost double the size of the house. We are 100 yards from a bus stop and half a mile from two supermarkets.

Framilode Thu 28-Jan-21 17:44:47

We live in a stone detached 3 bed house that someone had built in the 1970's. We are in a small village.

crazyH Thu 28-Jan-21 17:46:38

I would love a detached bungalow, with a very small paved area, on which I could put plant pots

Framilode Thu 28-Jan-21 17:47:44

Posted too soon. The house I loved best was our villa in Spain with beautiful views over the mountains and valleys but, funnily enough, the house I always dream about was our first home. It was a terraced house that cost us £1,500.

grannypiper Thu 28-Jan-21 18:23:56

I have lived in detached, semi, terraced, bungalow and apartment. I have lived in the middle of town, lived on many estates and have lived in small and large villages. At the moment we are rural/coastal detached but i already have my eye on a 2 bed apartment in a converted Victorian mansion with a small walled garden backing on to the beach, town, library and Doctors are within a 5 minute walk. Good neighbours and location matter more than the style of building.

avitorl Thu 28-Jan-21 18:44:11

I live in a detached chalet bungalow with 1 upstairs bedroom with it's own bathroom which is perfect for guests.All other rooms are downstairs and are bright with large windows and views of my small,easily managed garden.
I am within easy walking distance to a very frequent bus service into Town so it is perfect for me and my life as it is now.

BBbevan Thu 28-Jan-21 18:53:23

We used to live in a semi detached in a busy street. Noise from all angles. Now we are rural and detached . Absolutely lovely. Peace and quiet.

Curlywhirly Thu 28-Jan-21 19:06:55

Started married life in a small semi-detached bungalow, and 3 years later moved to a large 1930s semi, which we still live in. Hated living in the bungalow, it felt like living in a flat and I missed going upstairs to bed. If we ever move, I wouldn't mind downsizing, but I couldn't live in a flat as I love to have an outside area; a small garden or even a yard would do, just somewhere to hang out my washing and room enough to sit in the sun or have a BBQ. It would ideally be an older house; within walking distance of a few shops and on a bus route in case driving was no longer an option for me. One of our sons lives in a lovely Victorian terraced house, it has a small front garden and a back yard and is in the heart of a lovely village; I could quite happily retire to something similar.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Jan-21 19:24:59

We downsized 10 years ago. We now have two small apartments. One in South Manchester and one on a residential road in Malaga. Both places have shops, chemists, bars and restaurants on the doorsteps. We just lock up and go!

Minimal upkeep, no fence panels to creosote, no guttering to paint or clear of leaves, which means less to spend on utility bills and decorating so on a modest income (enough for our needs in retirement) it means our disposable incomes can be spent on FUN! Leisure activities, eating out whenever we fancy, flights to and fro. The tail no longer wags the dog!

I ❤️ our lifestyle with two tiny abodes.

FlexibleFriend Thu 28-Jan-21 19:32:28

I've never lived in a detached property or a bungalow, other than that I've lived in a variety of dwellings. Always in London but have never had noisy neighbours. I currently live in a large semi detached on a busyish road, it's not a main road just a busy cut through. The lounge is at the rear of the property so traffic noise is never a problem, plus we have a large drive so the house is set back from the road. I like my house and have no plans to downsize and think I'd rather have a stairlift than move. I think good neighbours are more important than the style of the house. I've spent the last 20 something years altering my house to suit me so would be reluctant to move but if I did the only thing I would rule out would be a flat. I need outside space to potter about and will probably always have a dog and they need outdoor space too.

Witzend Thu 28-Jan-21 19:32:59

I’ve lived in just about everything, inc. 13 years of ‘bungalows’ aka single storey prefabs on construction camps in the Middle East.

I wouldn’t choose a bungalow now - at least not while I’m still reasonably fit and mobile. My folks downsized to one in their late 60s, not because they particularly wanted one, but because it was all they could find in their chosen area.

Roll on 3 years and they decided they didn’t like the area after all, and moved again - to a house. And found that the lack of stairs had really affected their level of fitness. It came back of course, but I think it gave them quite a shock that whereas they’d never even thought about stairs before, they’d become an effort.

Charleygirl5 Thu 28-Jan-21 19:38:50

I live in an end terrace of three in a small cul de sac. Heathrow is not that far away but we are not on the flight path so it is so quiet living here. The 3 bedroom house was 8 years old when I bought it around 20 years ago. I love red brick houses. It is less than 10 minutes walk from a good bus service and central London is a bus and one tube away.

I quite fancy Urmston's way of life!

Urmstongran Thu 28-Jan-21 19:42:14

charleygirl5 ?

Casdon Thu 28-Jan-21 19:42:52

I’m not a bungalow fan, I really don’t like the idea of sleeping downstairs. My parent still live in the house I was brought up in, they are in their nineties now and have refused to move - it’s an old three storey house, and they still have their bedroom on the top floor, I think it does keep them fit going up and down.
My favourite house for the house itself was actually a flat in a massive old Victorian house in The Park in Nottingham, it was stunning, very quiet but within walking distance of the city. I think I’ve got delusions of grandeur.

biba70 Thu 28-Jan-21 19:46:46

My youngest just loved her aparment in the Park too.

I love old houses with tons of history- our house dates from 1587.

Casdon Thu 28-Jan-21 19:51:21

biba70 it really is a lovely place to live, and there are so many beautiful and unique house styles there.

I like older houses too,, my parents house is Georgian with lots of character - although they are money pits.