Gransnet forums

Chat

Which type of home do you prefer!

(133 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:40:37

Just that really! Myself having lived in terraced house, detached, semi, I am interested as what others prefer! I’ve never lived in a bungalow, quite fancy a detached bungalow though,

Scottydog6857 Fri 29-Jan-21 20:28:26

There is no way I would consider living in any other house than a detached one! I have had lifelong issues with sensitivity to noise, and discovered in 2004 that I have Asperger's Syndrome - this came about after my son, who was then a child, was diagnosed with the same condition! Also, I am not a very sociable person, and I absolutely hate the noise that other people make when they have visitors or parties! I have spent my whole life being socially distant from others because of my problems and have always done my level best to avoid all social events where there is likely to be consumption of alcohol and therefore, noise! I used to go out and walk the streets when my parents had visitors! These days, I go out in my car, often for hours and have even stayed out overnight!
My mother once said when I was a child that only a house in a field would suit me - she wasn't wrong!
In the last couple of years, I have had the misfortune to have to be admitted to hospital, and on both occasions, I was forced to discharge myself, as the other patients and the noise drove me off my trolley!
These days, with Covid, it's much easier to keep myself socially distant from others, which suits me just fine! I enjoy the company of my dog and 2 cats far more than the company of most people! I am nearly 64 now, so not much chance of me changing! I never got any help or support after I was diagnosed, unlike my son who has had lots of help over the years! However, my son doesn't like noisy social events either, but he does have much better coping skills than I do!

tanith Fri 29-Jan-21 21:05:42

I really don’t mind as long as I have a manageable garden. I’ve lived in mostly semis but always had lovely neighbours which is important.

Grammaretto Fri 29-Jan-21 21:26:24

Having lived in a huge detached house for 40 years, if I decide to move now it would probably be to a flat. I would like a good view and sunshine streaming in. A garden is optional as long as I could have an allotment or a plot in a community garden.

We began married life in a top floor flat, moved to a 3 story town house, followed by a semi detached bungalow and then here.
Its position is perfect and I like the town and the people in it, but it's just too big now I am on my own..
I have been reading the thread with interest and was sad to see that some make mistakes and don't realise it until it's too late.

f77ms Sat 30-Jan-21 09:05:58

I live in a semi which backs on to a beautiful park. I dont mind neighbours or a bit of noise and have been here since 76. It is far too much for me to manage now, the garden is huge but i just can't bare the thought of leaving here.

Sunlover Sat 30-Jan-21 09:51:29

We lived in various semi detached houses for 38 years moving to bigger ones as the family grew and we could afford a bigger house. Moved 4 years ago to a brand new 2nd floor 3 bedroom apartment. Love living on one floor we have a lift and a large balcony. No noise from other residents.
We are in very easy walking distance of the underground,buses, shops, pubs, restaurants and open green spaces.
Flat is easy to maintain and have no regrets.

Shropshirelass Sat 30-Jan-21 10:16:50

We are detached in the middle of nowhere surrounded by our own land.. lovely and quiet and a little bit cushioned from all the chaos and restrictions at the moment. Recently retired I am now going to be able to enjoy it properly after years of working all hours and having very little time at home. It is my haven, maybe I will have to move one day but not until I can’t manage any more.

Serendipity22 Sun 31-Jan-21 19:17:24

I now live in my childhood home ( Dormer Bungalow) and it means everything to me, I cant put it into words, it isnt the layout, or the fact it has beautiful garden, it's just being "home", a feeling of completeness.

So I guess, it could be a mansion or a back-to-back, it's the inner contentment you feel.....