Gransnet forums

Chat

What happened to simple kindness?

(54 Posts)
Casdon Thu 28-Jan-21 22:43:08

That’s really hard for you, sorry you had such a bad experience.
I can never remember my mobile phone number either, one little tip I picked up is to put my own number in the Contacts list for the phone - I’ve called mine A1 so it comes up as the first number when I press the Contacts button, which saves hassle.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Jan-21 22:42:03

What a horrible experience for you Luckygirl at that front desk. She was unkind and insensitive. Sadly, some people are. Fortunately the majority of people ARE nice and kind. You drew a short straw today.
?

Jane10 Thu 28-Jan-21 22:37:25

That's rotten Luckygirl no excuse for this rudeness far less lack of kindness. I hope all went well otherwise at the clinic. thanks

Luckygirl Thu 28-Jan-21 22:34:26

Today I had to go to the breast clinic at the local hospital - I was a bit wary about it because it is a small hospital and they have lots of covid cases - and it wasn't helped by a porter strolling about with his mask over his mouth only.

But what really upset me was one of the clerks behind the desk - she was taking details and asked for my next of kin - knee-jerk reaction I started to say my OH's name (he died in February) and I was taken aback by a wave of grief. I swallowed and pulled myself together, explained to her that I needed to change my next of kin and why. I gave her DD3's name and then realised that I actually do not know her address - I go round all the time, but almost never have to address anything to her. So I suggested DD2 - clerk was by this time in tight-lipped eye-rolling mode. Got through that eventually.

She then wanted my mobile number, and I said that I did not know it off the top of my head, but that she had got my landline number. She insisted that I give her my mobile number and that I should look in my phone and find it. I tried that - not there that I could see. (I almost never use my mobile as a phone - I just whatsapp friends) Then she said: while you are sitting in the waiting room you must put your mobile number in your phone. I refrained from telling her that (in the absence of the number) it was not possible, but was sorely tempted to tell her not to be such a patronising cow.

She could see that I was upset by my initial mistake about my OH and that this had flustered me. I cannot understand why she could not be pleasant and kind. I tried to tell myself that she might be feeling anxious in a patient-facing role during a pandemic but it was not a nice experience.