Gransnet forums

Chat

Excruciating ad

(41 Posts)
sodapop Fri 29-Jan-21 16:48:44

I've just seen Debbie McGee in a really dreadful ad for a funeral plan. Why do these very minor 'celebs' do this, its painful.

Lin663 Sat 30-Jan-21 10:23:32

Lol...I think they deliberately make ads annoying so that you will remember them and buy the products in spite of yourself! Though in my case it seems to have the opposite effect...there are ads that I hate so much I would never buy the products...anything with Claudia Winkelman, the Plantur woman, dentist girl, Rylan, the Go Compare guy etc, etc...

FindingNemo15 Sat 30-Jan-21 10:12:11

Debbie McGee is also in an ad for replacement kitchens. I am sure her's is much better!

Can't stand the British Gas one in the dirty student house!

kircubbin2000 Sat 30-Jan-21 09:08:56

That woman complaining that her husband died and she had to pay for the funeral.... have any of you watched Better call Saul?
She seems to have ripped off the speech of the lady in the nursing home who gets conned by Sauls plan.

kircubbin2000 Sat 30-Jan-21 09:05:45

Can't stand the smug man whose neighbour comes round and they talk about his over 50s plan.

CornflowerBlue Sat 30-Jan-21 06:49:51

..... and what gets me in the funeral plan ad, when they say that your children can spend it on the funeral or for something else if they'd rather. But that makes no sense, because if they spend it on something else, they still have to pay for the funeral! Ugh!!!

honeyrose Fri 29-Jan-21 23:57:16

I also dislike the advert for a toothpaste when a woman says “I know how to keep my body healthy, but how do I keep my MOUTH healthy?!” Had she never heard of a toothbrush and toothpaste? Then the dentist leans forward and recommends a certain toothpaste and confides “it’s actually the one I use myself”. Aaaaaagh!!

Lilypops Fri 29-Jan-21 23:46:41

The incontinence ad where one woman says. Whoosh. !!! I mean who goes whoosh. She would be standing ankle deep in her own wee if that happened ?

vampirequeen Fri 29-Jan-21 22:21:48

I hate the creepy guy in the funeral insurance ad. The voyeur who reckons he's a bird watcher or grows to many parsnips or washes a dozen tomatoes to make one cheese sandwich. I had my first death call on my 50th birthday.

I also hate the 'why not give us your house' mortgages. The ones where they encourage you to 'release the equity in your home' but fail to say that compound interest won't just reduce the amount you have to leave but will probably eat up the full value of your house. In effect you're selling them your house at a fraction of it's value. You may get to live in it but they'll get it in the end.

And whilst I'm on a roll I hate the adverts aimed at younger parents too. 'Well that will let my wife pay off the mortgage'....you will have mortgage insurance anyway!!! 'Dad left us well provided for and now it's my job to provide for my family' and I want to slap the 'nice hat dad' kid.

sodapop Fri 29-Jan-21 21:29:25

We would have nothing to gripe about then Grannynannywanny grin

Urmstongran Fri 29-Jan-21 20:56:14

Eurgh!
I tend to mute the ads.
?

FoghornLeghorn Fri 29-Jan-21 20:48:10

There was one recently for incontinence pads. They called their ‘leakage’ their trickle of joy. I can just imagine all these ridiculous ad men (and I bet it was a man) sitting in their meeting and suddenly thinking they’d had a great idea. ‘I know! Let’s call the incontinence a trickle of joy!’ Can you imagine it? I can’t imagine anything joyful about peeing yourself.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-Jan-21 20:08:14

There’s a lot to be said for recording programmes and fast forwarding the adverts.

Curlywhirly Fri 29-Jan-21 19:42:31

I can't bare the blonde lady advertising 'Plantur' shampoo; she says it's for ladies 'over 40' but whispers it, because it is obviously something to be ashamed of!

mamaa Fri 29-Jan-21 19:13:02

Another which annoys is the Jane MacDonald one advertising living in a ‘bungalow’ with others in similar builds of similar age, on a complex. I did wonder whether if she moved into one the ad would be more convincing...

tidyskatemum Fri 29-Jan-21 18:56:56

All the funeral plan ads are dreadful but the one that drives me up the wall is the one with the sour-faced woman whingeing that her husband had the temerity to die and leave her to pay for his funeral.

FannyCornforth Fri 29-Jan-21 18:55:56

Ha ha ha!!! (Evil laugh)
Wait until you see the Pure Wick advert! envy You have been warned! envy
You will be begging for Claudia and her scalp and Debbie McGee's financial problems!

BlueSky Fri 29-Jan-21 18:15:52

Well when you left your children money and property, I’m sure they can squeeze enough for a basic funeral!

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-Jan-21 18:08:02

lemongrove ?

Billybob4491 Fri 29-Jan-21 18:00:35

Couldnt think of her name Merlot, my attention is very limited when it comes to adverts. Just thought of another one though, Christmas Savings Club plan, all very tedious.

merlotgran Fri 29-Jan-21 17:48:00

Billybob4491

What about the person with the big fringe who strokes a coconut, think its all about shampoo. Truly awful. She mentions that she is not flirting! I mean really!!!

I don't think Claudia Winkleman ever expects to be taken seriously.

honeyrose Fri 29-Jan-21 17:45:55

I’ve not seen the Debbie McGee advert, but I do remember some other funeral plan adverts - the worst acting EVER! I’ve just received a letter from a company asking me to invest in a funeral plan - that’s what happens when you reach a certain age. The tv advert that annoys me (and I don’t even know what’s its for, but it’s food of some sort) is where a family are all suddenly at home for dinner as their various activities have been cancelled (not through Covid either). The husband says to his wife, “how was your film night?” And she says “classic!” Somehow this really grates in me, I don’t know why. And the bladder leakage pad ads - excruciating!

Billybob4491 Fri 29-Jan-21 17:41:21

What about the person with the big fringe who strokes a coconut, think its all about shampoo. Truly awful. She mentions that she is not flirting! I mean really!!!

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 17:32:02

X posts sodapop

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 17:30:59

Grannynannywanny

That’s when you know the acting and presenting jobs have dried up, when they turn up in the afternoon advertising funeral plans, life insurance, equity release and foot massagers.

For me the most excruciating ad ever is the one that’s usually on during breaks in Jeremy Vine Show. For the very snug men’s boxer shorts with the superglide inner leg panels to prevent chafing.

?See that ad left an impression on you though....so it worked.

The funeral plan ads are cringeworthy, particularly the one where a woman ( neighbour) brings round post about funeral plans to a man who seems thrilled and tells her all the details.

As regards Debbie McGee, perhaps she needs the money?

sodapop Fri 29-Jan-21 17:30:46

How desperate is the magician's assistant for cash Galaxy shades of Mrs Merton.