Gransnet forums

Chat

Excruciating ad

(40 Posts)
sodapop Fri 29-Jan-21 16:48:44

I've just seen Debbie McGee in a really dreadful ad for a funeral plan. Why do these very minor 'celebs' do this, its painful.

Galaxy Fri 29-Jan-21 16:50:50

For money.

AGAA4 Fri 29-Jan-21 16:53:06

I really dislike those adverts for funeral plans. They all make me cringe.

lemsip Fri 29-Jan-21 16:55:16

Oh me too, hate it... Debbie Mcgee's ad is particularly nauseating.

crazyH Fri 29-Jan-21 16:57:57

I had someone call me and ask me if I would like to set up a funeral plan..........?

EllanVannin Fri 29-Jan-21 16:57:58

Good job these people don't here my language when such adverts appear grin I feel better for it though !

EllanVannin Fri 29-Jan-21 16:58:21

hear

Bellanonna Fri 29-Jan-21 17:04:07

What a cheek CrazyH. I hope you gave them a good answer. Someone rang me recently about my “accident”. I had a lot of fun asking which one as I’d had so many. Told them I shouldn’t really be driving, They put the phone down. I then felt remorseful because they probably get paid a pittance.

CornflowerBlue Fri 29-Jan-21 17:05:29

I watched daytime TV for the first time the other day (I still work, so don't really put the tv on on the odd day I'm home in the daytime) and is was excruciating! I don't mean the programmes - they were fine! But every ad break was full of funeral ads, sometimes three at a time! No wonder people get depressed when they are stuck at home all the time, with ads like that going on and on at you! Occasionally you also got life insurance ads and will writing ads too! So depressing!

Bellanonna Fri 29-Jan-21 17:06:03

I can’t stand the woman with the long black hair and long fringe who says someone would give their spleen for her hair. It’s dreadful.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-Jan-21 17:07:29

That’s when you know the acting and presenting jobs have dried up, when they turn up in the afternoon advertising funeral plans, life insurance, equity release and foot massagers.

For me the most excruciating ad ever is the one that’s usually on during breaks in Jeremy Vine Show. For the very snug men’s boxer shorts with the superglide inner leg panels to prevent chafing.

Bellanonna Fri 29-Jan-21 17:08:29

Cant stand the one where adults talk in childish voices either. I spend so much time feeling irritated by it that I’ve no idea what the ad is for. That’s on the rare occasion I haven’t muted them (when DH has the remote).

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 17:20:38

“I m so glad we ve had this little talk aren’t you” she simpers dreadful dreadful advert, I can’t stand it

Parky Fri 29-Jan-21 17:21:56

The ones that revolt me are the bladder leakage ones, for goodness sake leave it to the chemist aisles. Agree the funeral plans are awful, no I never think about who's going to pay...won't be me smile

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 17:22:02

I also do t like the charities that ring and ask me if I d like to leave something in my will talk about wishing us gone

sodapop Fri 29-Jan-21 17:30:46

How desperate is the magician's assistant for cash Galaxy shades of Mrs Merton.

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 17:30:59

Grannynannywanny

That’s when you know the acting and presenting jobs have dried up, when they turn up in the afternoon advertising funeral plans, life insurance, equity release and foot massagers.

For me the most excruciating ad ever is the one that’s usually on during breaks in Jeremy Vine Show. For the very snug men’s boxer shorts with the superglide inner leg panels to prevent chafing.

?See that ad left an impression on you though....so it worked.

The funeral plan ads are cringeworthy, particularly the one where a woman ( neighbour) brings round post about funeral plans to a man who seems thrilled and tells her all the details.

As regards Debbie McGee, perhaps she needs the money?

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 17:32:02

X posts sodapop

Billybob4491 Fri 29-Jan-21 17:41:21

What about the person with the big fringe who strokes a coconut, think its all about shampoo. Truly awful. She mentions that she is not flirting! I mean really!!!

honeyrose Fri 29-Jan-21 17:45:55

I’ve not seen the Debbie McGee advert, but I do remember some other funeral plan adverts - the worst acting EVER! I’ve just received a letter from a company asking me to invest in a funeral plan - that’s what happens when you reach a certain age. The tv advert that annoys me (and I don’t even know what’s its for, but it’s food of some sort) is where a family are all suddenly at home for dinner as their various activities have been cancelled (not through Covid either). The husband says to his wife, “how was your film night?” And she says “classic!” Somehow this really grates in me, I don’t know why. And the bladder leakage pad ads - excruciating!

merlotgran Fri 29-Jan-21 17:48:00

Billybob4491

What about the person with the big fringe who strokes a coconut, think its all about shampoo. Truly awful. She mentions that she is not flirting! I mean really!!!

I don't think Claudia Winkleman ever expects to be taken seriously.

Billybob4491 Fri 29-Jan-21 18:00:35

Couldnt think of her name Merlot, my attention is very limited when it comes to adverts. Just thought of another one though, Christmas Savings Club plan, all very tedious.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-Jan-21 18:08:02

lemongrove ?

BlueSky Fri 29-Jan-21 18:15:52

Well when you left your children money and property, I’m sure they can squeeze enough for a basic funeral!

FannyCornforth Fri 29-Jan-21 18:55:56

Ha ha ha!!! (Evil laugh)
Wait until you see the Pure Wick advert! envy You have been warned! envy
You will be begging for Claudia and her scalp and Debbie McGee's financial problems!