Gransnet forums

Chat

Good morning Sunday- O Michael, where art thou?

(66 Posts)
grandMattie Sun 31-Jan-21 06:36:45

Good morning from a dry E Kent. The moon is very bright in a cloudless sky again.
Hope Mick and everyone are ok today l
As expected, I finished my quilt. I am gobsmacked that it only took me 32 days, despite its 6’x 6’ size. I have already started cutting the pieces for DGS monochrome quilt.
Not a lot on today - virtual church, roast chicken... oh, and DH’s vaccine! How could I forget?
May those in sorrow, pain or distress have relief today. Stay safe.

mamaa Sun 31-Jan-21 15:13:38

mapleleaf snap! No sight or sound for the last hour and just as I’m 1 minute over I can hear them tweeting away in the trees. I’m sure the birds know too and hide until we’ve gone!?

hollysteers Sun 31-Jan-21 12:05:13

Scraping in with a Good morning to one and all from Cloudy Chambers, northwest coast. Hope Mick soon makes an appearance.
My heart is like a singing bird (as Christina Rossetti said) as my bubbled son comes today. I’ve had enough time to find myself and I’m fed up with what I’ve found?
I binge watched “Pretend it’s a City” with Fran Lebowitz on Netflix last night and loved it, funny and wise, rather like a female Woody Allen. Now I want to move to New York.
Going to something with a piece of chicken and try a new technique for my watercolours.
Keep well and thoughts to the worried.

EllanVannin Sun 31-Jan-21 11:52:15

Love the new board game Coronopoly, Urmston. That made me laugh. You can bet somebody will think of something.

Good to see the new " faces " that have joined this merry band.
Welcome both.

I'm hoping Mick's alright and just taking some time out.

You're looking well Elizabeth and pup. Keep up the good work on " your travels.

Thoughts to those who a taking a break xx

GrannyOwl5 Sun 31-Jan-21 11:51:31

Good morning everyone from the north Kent coast where it is sunny but chilly. Although now I look out of the window it’s getting cloudy.

Late again as DH and I went out early - for us - to get our walk in. Quite a few out and about but everyone bar one or two observed social distancing etiquette whilst exchanging good mornings.

DH had his vaccine yesterday and so far no reactions which is good. Getting mine tomorrow so have something to put in my diary - first entry of the year! ?

Welcome to our Newbies - glad Urmstongran asked the initiation question regarding house values! Hope there is good news about Marydoll’s friend’s grandaughter and baby.

Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe

Mapleleaf Sun 31-Jan-21 11:50:49

Sorry to read about your aunty, sheepandcattle.

Mapleleaf Sun 31-Jan-21 11:49:36

Good morning all,

It's another cold and frosty one here in South Yorkshire.

I've been trying to count the birds for the RSPB Big garden birdwatch, but I'm sure they know it's this last weekend in January, because, despite putting food out, the little loves are hiding! I see many more of them in the run up to BGB, but as soon as it's here, away they go. It's like this every year ?.

What a beautiful quilt, grandMattie. You are very talented.

The puppy is so sweet, Elizabeth1 .

Hope mick is ok, and will be back next week.

Well, I'd better check over my shopping list before going to the supermarket.

Take care everyone. ?

Taichinan Sun 31-Jan-21 11:34:41

Good morning all, and thank you Grandmattie for opening in Mick's absence. Your quilt is lovely and I can't believe you've been doing patchwork for such a short time! You are very accomplished.
It's the brighter shades of grey on the Angus coast today, but at least it's dry and calm. The hills are still covered in snow.
Lovely to meet you B9exchange and granfromafar. Do come back and post again - we really do need to know where you are and what the weather's like.
I do envy the posters talking about "banks of snowdrops" and "glimpses of yellow" in the garden from the daffodils. You must be well south of here! My clumps of snowdrops are now showing white, but the earliest I have ever recorded my first daffodil in bloom is 9th March after a very benign winter - so way to go, with more winter forecast this week. Still, at least we're heading for February now, which means my first daff may only be about six weeks away ??
As you will gather from my wittering, there's nothing to report from the blacksmith's cottage today. Although we did have an interesting illustrated exchange on our Family WhatsApp this morning concerning the likeness between Bernie Winters, Terry Wogan and my late DH. As you do. And that perfectly sums up Life in Lockdown!
On that note I will make good my escape, but not before sending caring and healing vibes to all who need them ( particularly to those sewing up pocket openings in garments?). ?☀️??

hulahoop Sun 31-Jan-21 11:31:07

Good morning from a very cold west/York's .Oh just finished cleaning cooker he's a good one ,I have been emptying pantry ready to paint the walls .hope all missing posters are ok .

HAZBEEN Sun 31-Jan-21 11:25:20

Good morning everyone, especially to Mick who we miss but thank you to GM for opening up.
The usual not a lot planned Sunday with OH cooking lunch (roast beef today). I will do a bit more knitting, the cardigan I started is coming along nicely!
Welcome to the newbies, as I was told dont lurk post we dont bite!
Stay safe all.

Jaxjacky Sun 31-Jan-21 11:18:43

Welcome b9exchange and granfromafar this is the bestest start to the day.

CherryCezzy Sun 31-Jan-21 11:12:30

Good morning everyone. It's snowing here in the Gower! Twice in one winter, most peculiar ?

A quiet day planned ?, what else would it be ?. My footie team play later - so perhaps it won't be that quite as I urge them on from the dis comfort of my sofa. A chicken dinner later today and jam roly-poly for after ?

I don't subscribe to Netflix but I watched an incredible, though deeply harrowing film on tv last night called A beautiful boy. Not an easy watch and based on a true story.

Great quilt grandMattie and to think you've made it in little over a month, brilliant ?. Thanks again for deputising for Mick, I do hope he alright.
Pleased that you are feeling a bit brighter in yourself today Sar ???
Good to hear that your DD and family are recovering Gagagran ?
So sorry to hear about your aunt Sheepandcattle ?
I hope you are feeling stronger Susan ? x
Great Matt cartoon today Urmstongran ?

Welcome B9exchange and granfromafar ?

Take care everyone, stay safe and be kind to yourselves. Spring is around the corner, there's evidence all around us. I hope everyone finds something to smile about today ❤️

Urmstongran Sun 31-Jan-21 10:45:04

Hello to you B9exhange and granfromafar ?
B9 it’s better to join us than ‘lurk’ and you’re very welcome. You forgot to tell us where you’re posting from & what the weather’s like where you are. Tomorrow perhaps? It helps us all get to know one another better really as an aide memoire I suppose.

And you BOTH forgot to tell us the value of your homes. Important stuff really as I’m sure you’ll both agree.
??

Dwmxwg Sun 31-Jan-21 10:43:16

Good morning all from a sunny north Surrey. Icy this morning, was glad to pass 2 gritting lorries on my journey home from work last night.
I am troubled with a sore throat and consequently slept badly, still had to be up at 6 to look after DGSs as DD on an early today. Their dad came later and took over as I am back at work this afternoon. Brought forward my home test by a day due to cold symptoms, it was as suspected negative, I don’t feel ill, just sore throat.
I have managed to fit in online Pilates and done DD’s ironing for her.
Sorry to hear so many with worries today, I would need to keep notes to remember them all but I do read all posts and send good wishes to you all.
Need to get my DBS paperwork sorted now and emailed to HR (or People Services as they now call themselves).
Last day of January. ?

Grammaretto Sun 31-Jan-21 10:29:11

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. It's bright and sunny but we had a new dusting of snow overnight.
I love your puppy Elizabeth1 and am also inspired by your journey back to health.
Great quilts too GrandMattie you clever lady.
I like the cartoon too Urms
I have been watching for birds for an hour but can hear them and not see them. Wrong time? Place? I think my neighbours lay on a feast for them.

5th and last Sunday of this long month. Sending my good wishes to all who need them.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 31-Jan-21 10:24:46

Good Morning all from bright but frosty Harrogate. Thank you grandMattie for opening up - if we did, as suggested, have to take in turns opening up you'd have to wait a long time for me!! The wifi in my bedroom is a bit erratic!

My Kenwood is now gleaming - it will be a shame to use it!! Must start on cleaning my collection of silver sugar tongs, they are looking quite manky in their little cabinet.

Hope to watch my church service after coffee, nothing else planned.

Come back Mick, Pantglas Gilly and all the others who are staying away!
Welcome to the Newbies
Stay well, stay safe

EllanVannin Sun 31-Jan-21 10:12:38

Good Morning All x.
Cold bright and dry is how I'd describe the morning but at least the days are getting noticeably longer thank goodness. Seems forever in darkness.

There's plenty I should be doing but it's Sunday---day of rest grin. Chicken for me today and a quick lemon sponge pud.

What a strange dream I had. In a market looking at some beautiful jumpers knitted with angora wool. Lovely patterns too with fair-isle necks. A rather large lady in a beige coat was sitting in a chair at the stall also looking at the jumpers. She appeared to be very pleasant until she whipped up a pair of white angora gloves that I'd had my eye on. grin
There's a message here---he who hesitates is lost. I wasn't quick enough.

I was hoping that I hadn't strangled the cat thinking about the soft feel of the angora wool grin
It's not often I remember my dreams but that may have had some significance.

Life on the farm seems to have quietened down for a short spell since the rush in the maternity department Sheepandcattle. It's still intense work though. Sad about your aunt and the fact that you couldn't see her beforehand. I'm surprised that the pigs are the " poor relations " of livestock as I'd have thought there'd be a rush on home-bred rather than the imports from Germany and Poland. Things might pick up for our farmers before long. Hope so.

Hope everyone's well and glad to see the back of this horrible month.
Before I forget, I'd told LauraNorder that Charley Boorman was on CH5 tonight---wrong ! It's BBC4 @ 9pm-10. Ireland to Australia overland. He'll be leaving Delhi in tonight's episode.

Take care everyone and stay safe. Have a peaceful day xx

Nannagarra Sun 31-Jan-21 10:10:52

Love the puppy, Elizabeth. Assume it’s a golden retriever. Had one when our boys were little. She was fabulous. DS has one now - miss her so much as he’s now working from home so we don’t have dog minding duties (‘DDD’ or daily dose of dog).

Blossoming Sun 31-Jan-21 10:10:15

Good morning from a cold dry Lancashire. I’m still in bed due to a bad night with tummy trouble. This hasn’t happened for a week or so and I had hoped it was finally getting better. I have a cup of tea and will have a shower when I have drunk it. Hoping for a walk later if it isn’t icy. Have a relaxing Sunday all.

Nannagarra Sun 31-Jan-21 10:05:35

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it is dry and comparatively warm. Your quilt is amazing, grandMattie - you’re so talented. Thanks for the heads up: I’m keeping a beady eye out for Ursula and guarding my loo rolls!
Hoping to replace my favourite, so very well worn, yellow leather gloves from JL, I sent off for an identical pair in the sales last week. Sadly the sizing isn’t true: only the thumbs fit perfectly, the fingers are too long.
Today I’m making Urm’s SOAP whilst DH uses DS’s charger to put some life in my car so it go for a service tomorrow. The apple and sage came from the local greengrocer’s which I tried for the first time on Friday. I texted in my requirements and name, then received a text telling me the cost and time when the goods were available. DH parked outside the shop (on double yellows) and opened the boot. I took up position on the pavement and waved, as I had been instructed, to attract the attention of an assistant. This had an unexpected consequence as a friend I haven’t seen throughout lockdown noticed me and came out to chat and a passerby on the pavement perceived me to be very friendly and tried to start a convo! Another assistant walked out to the car, placed the order in the boot and explained that as a thank you I’d been given two bunches of flowers. How lovely. She also gave me top marks for holding up a sheet with my name (to clarify and speed up the transaction) as if being met in an airport! I don’t think they’ll forget who I am now, do you?!!!
?for the expectant mum, ? to those with troubles and worries. Have the best day you can. x

BlueSapphire Sun 31-Jan-21 10:02:33

Just popped back in!

Lovely quilt GrandMattie, you are clever!

What an adorable puppy Elizabeth; if I hadn't already got the cats, I would have got a dog after DH died; they are good company, and make you get out for a walk.

Have now forgotten what others have mentioned this morning, and daren't go back to the first page to look, as I will lose this post. Oh, thank you to those who mentioned *The Dig*; was listening to a discussion about it on the radio this morning, and couldn't remember the name of the film.

Gelisajams Sun 31-Jan-21 09:56:35

Good morning from a frosty Morecambe Bay. It promises to be a reasonable day so we will walk later. Zoom church first.
GM I am impressed with your quilt but also how you managed to actually get so much sewing finished. I always start with enthusiasm, then it wanes until a few weeks or months later I have another few sessions on it. I really must my collage finished....
Welcome Granfromafar you must be very excited. Do let us know.
I’m not sure whether to do the bird watch. We do have quite a few birds in the hedge, a couple of robins, sparrows , various tits, blackbirds and occasionally a wren but we can’t feed them as there is a canal behind our hedge and we can get rats!
Love the pics and the cartoons! Anything to make me smile has to be good! Take care, stay safe everyone. ?

BlueSapphire Sun 31-Jan-21 09:44:07

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny ?Northampton. Am late again getting up so will read everyone's posts later. Hope Mick is ok.

Not a lot planned for today; will do myself brunch, then read the papers, do the puzzle pages,and carry on knitting. Will see what's on tv.

Went to start on my cardigan yesterday and realised I had completely the wrong wool for the pattern! Looked up on line, only to find out the recommended wool has been discontinued. Must have a search for a substitute as I really like the pattern. I then searched for a pattern to match the wool I actually had, found one that matched, and was able to download it. So was able to make a start.

Happy day yesterday, as I watched rugby in the afternoon, and my team, Northampton Saints won away, and in rotten weather too. Some good tries in the second half.

Finished my Agatha Christie yesterday, so now to decide what to read next. I suppose it had better be the next one for book club. Can't remember what it is at the moment; anyway, I know I haven't got it so it will be Amazon to the rescue again.

Hope the sun shines on all of us today.

granfromafar Sun 31-Jan-21 09:39:43

Good morning from a bright and sunny west Kent. Not posted on here before but have been lurking for a while! Hope that I am allowed to join in.
Had a sleepless night due to awaiting news of new grandchild's imminent birth. Checked phone every time I or DH got up for the bathroom but nothing to report. Will have to keep busy with baking and going for a walk to help pass the time. Good wishes to all.

grannysyb Sun 31-Jan-21 09:38:16

Good morning all from a bright and sunny Teddington, but a very hard frost last night. A walk this morning, and then our Sunday treat, bacon sandwiches! Still struggling with the coat that I'm making, managed to do a bit yesterday, so I think I will carry on. DH is going to bone out the pheasants that I got out of the freezer yesterday, we will eat the breasts and make stock for soup with the rest. Hope news from Marydolls Marydolls friend is better and that everyone has as good a day as possible.

Sparklefizz Sun 31-Jan-21 09:37:48

Morning GrandMattie and all GNs from sunny South Glos, and hoping that Mick is well. Thank you for the cartoon GM - brilliant - it started my day with an out-loud laugh. And what a beautiful quilt. You're so talented.

So sorry to hear the sad news about your aunt Sheepandcattle.

Sweet puppy Elizabeth. Glad you enjoyed "The Dig" Harrigran and NotaGran. I loved it. Can highly recommend.

Well, I had my jab yesterday and was most impressed with the efficiency and organisation at the vaccine hub. Felt on a high when I got home due to having had people to chat to and feeling ever-so-slightly normal instead of living in solitary confinement. My arm is painful, a bit like a pulled muscle, but certainly not a big deal. I feel tired, but then nothing new there as I have M.E. I am just utterly grateful to be one step closer to getting out and about.

Thinking of all those who are ill or anxious. Take care everyone. x