Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you/ are you planning to ‘downsize’

(105 Posts)
Pittcity Mon 01-Feb-21 08:32:51

We are moving from a 4 bed detached to a 3 bed semi any day now. Downsizing from 3 bathrooms to one will make a lot of difference to me in terms of keeping things clean! We will also be in the town centre so not isolated.
My parents moved from a 3 bed house to a one bed ground floor flat and soon began to find stairs hard going. A case of use it or lose it.

Gingster Mon 01-Feb-21 08:31:13

We downsized 15 yrs ago. Went from a biggish 4 bedroom , Victorian ,high maintenance , family house with a very large garden,to a 2 bedroom house with no garage, a small shed and tiny garden. We had to be brutal with our possessions and we threw a lot away or gave it away, We have very little storage room here so have to be careful not to clutter. The downstairs is open plan and we have a conservatory tacked on at the back, so plenty of room for the family , when they all visit together. Fairly maintenance free, and have never regretted it.

Kim19 Mon 01-Feb-21 08:24:47

Every winter I think I should move out of this lovely old barn of a house where I rattle around and every Spring I meander into the garden and am decidedly happy to still be here.

NotSpaghetti Mon 01-Feb-21 08:21:29

I would need to get rid of tons of stuff. We also fill all our house so not in a rush.

nanna8 Mon 01-Feb-21 08:15:43

Lots of our friends have either gone into a smaller property or a retirement village but we like our house and find a use for the 4 bedrooms so we are staying put for now. There are some things which might become more difficult as we get older (stairs for one, big garden ) but we love our outdoor area and the privacy we have here.