Gransnet forums

Chat

What song do you not like as it brings back unhappy memories?

(135 Posts)
polomint Mon 01-Feb-21 23:38:23

The song I dont like is "eleanor Rigby " by the Beatles. I was 8 months married and 3 months pregnant and living in a condemned tenement building. We had no phone,an outside toilet and my husband and i werethe only inhabitants in our close. I moved to my husbands town and had no friends and he was at work all day every time that so g came on the radio I burst into tears as I felt so lonely just like the eleanor in the song. Thankfully my life is so much happier now but still cant stand the song!

widgeon3 Tue 02-Feb-21 16:30:27

A slightly different tack
My slightly younger brother spent a year, paralysed, in hospital in the 1940s
The Teddy Bears' Picnic was heard fairly frequently on the radio at that time Shortly after his return home, he heard the track and burst out into screams and sobs ( He was probably 5 or 6 at the time)

What I learnt later was that it was played often in the hospital too, I assume now it was to drown the cries of the children who were undergoing painful investigative techniques
Some 5 years later he would stll hide behind my mother whimpering , if he saw someone wearing a white coat in the street

Rosy2 Tue 02-Feb-21 16:35:51

Fix you by Coldplay. I love this song but it has such sad connotations for me when my grandson was very ill and we were told he may not make it. He did and 6 years later is a great teenager but when it comes on the radio I am in floods of tears so perhaps better if I don’t hear it.

Tea3 Tue 02-Feb-21 16:46:26

widgeon3 I remember having to dance to The Teddy Bear’s picnic at primary school in some sort of Music and Movement class. I found it frightening! All that stuff about not going down to the woods today sung in a growly voice.

kittypaws49 Tue 02-Feb-21 17:00:31

The Sun Ain't going to shine Any More, and Go Now ( Moody Blues ) in fact a lot of songs from that era which remind me of my first love, who didn't feel the same. But I listen to them sometimes, just to have a little wallow !

Grandma11 Tue 02-Feb-21 17:04:28

My Daughters ex husband sent her a link to a video clip of the Millennium Dancing Fountains Las Vegas, set to the Theme of 'Time to Say Goodbye', they had been married for 12 years, and this was his way of confessing that he had been having an affair with a work Collegue of his, and he was leaving her and their two Children to move in with this woman. It broke my Daughters heart, but she was glad to get rid of him in the long term, he was very selfish, and always put his needs first before anyone elses. She's happily settled with a new partner now, and they have just bought a house together, they have no plans to Marry anytime soon, mainly down to my Daughters hesitation due to her previous experiences with her Ex.

TwiceAsNice Tue 02-Feb-21 17:22:50

No New Years Day can’t think who sang it but it was in the top of the charts in January 1985. My son had died the week before Christmas and the lyrics were all about what you’d never do again and I thought about all the things he’d never do, and I’d never do with him and I was undone. Can’t bear it even now and always turn it off the radio

Jaxjacky Tue 02-Feb-21 17:28:30

I’ll stand by you - The Pretenders, it doesn’t matter now, but did at the time and for a while afterwards.

Grandiflora Tue 02-Feb-21 17:28:40

The theme music to the tv medical drama Dr Kildare. I don't have unhappy memories but it made me cry, even though I was only 3 at the time. My mum used to watch the programme and I was just so moved by the music!

moggie57 Tue 02-Feb-21 17:51:16

what becomes of the broken hearted by jimmy ruffin , was when my dad died (sucide in new cross hospital) was meant to go see him that evening ,but didnt have enough money for train fare .my mum wouldnt lend me it .that evening he committed suicide in the toilet. no nurses on the ward either .i felt guilty for years , had i gone to see him ,he might still be here.and that song was played over and over again on the radio .

Lettice Tue 02-Feb-21 18:18:33

MamaB, much love to you. I think you brought most of us to tears.
The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore, in memory of my darling girl, who brought light to many people's lives before she died aged 32, after a shortish illness - aggressive cancer. I don't think her husband will ever recover, so that's two lives.

clareken Tue 02-Feb-21 18:24:57

Weirdly enough Nellie the Elephant. Youth hostel disco, a friend asked me to play this. He was involved in a car accident the next day, and they turned his life support off the day after. He was 17. My children (when they came along) were deprived of this, as I couldn't bear to hear it.

kissngate Tue 02-Feb-21 18:32:13

Love is all around by Wet Wet Wet. For lots of reasons I cant stand listening to it and it so happens to be my OHs favourite song.

squirrel5 Tue 02-Feb-21 19:18:11

My first husband and I broke up when A little time by Beautiful South,was often played on the radio,it summed up the whole scenario,...but after time I met the most lovely huggy teddy bear of a man,and could not be happier,we married 16 yrs ago,but something still niggles when I hear that song

Juneandarchie1 Tue 02-Feb-21 19:18:23

Your Song by Elton John. My ex husband used to sing it to me before he left me after 40 + years married. I thought we were forever but got that wrong ?

Blinko Tue 02-Feb-21 19:19:39

Sorry, MamaB247 I got your numbers wrong...

Onwardsandupwards Tue 02-Feb-21 19:33:01

‘O holy night’ played in the hospital ward, Christmas Day morning 1990, I was with my beloved mum, in a side room, holding her in my arms as she died.. This carol features on the film ‘Home Alone’.. And I have to mute it every time.. ?

Granelly Tue 02-Feb-21 19:48:21

Softly as I leave you, by Matt Munro. I was 11 when my Dad died, he used to sing it to my sisters and I, even when he was just going to work! After he died I couldn't bear to listen to it anymore. Even now, when I'm 58, it breaks my heart just to hear the opening bars.

grannybuy Tue 02-Feb-21 20:02:17

No one particular song, but when DH died a few weeks ago, looking at photographs of him made me smile, but listening to his favourite music really upset me.

Jellybean345 Tue 02-Feb-21 20:24:56

Oh Mama B247
Whitney Houston ?♥️Says it’s all .
Mine is Empty Rooms by Gary Moore just reminds me how unhappy we used to be and how happy we are now .?Hugs to you .

MissAdventure Tue 02-Feb-21 20:27:50

Granelly

Softly as I leave you, by Matt Munro. I was 11 when my Dad died, he used to sing it to my sisters and I, even when he was just going to work! After he died I couldn't bear to listen to it anymore. Even now, when I'm 58, it breaks my heart just to hear the opening bars.

That's made me cry to read.
I love that song.

Happy or sad these days, I find a lot of songs stir up tears.

nexus63 Tue 02-Feb-21 20:38:04

flying without wings by westlife still makes me cry, my husband was in hospital for 8 months, i walked into the ward one night and he was crying, i thought it must be very bad news....he had a brain tumor that was a viral mass so could not be removed, just controlled, he had been listening to this song and kept saying how sorry he was for not telling me how much i meant to him, born in the 50s he was told men kept things like that to themselves, he made me promise to play it at his funeral, i sat at his bedside 14 years later as he took his last breath. it was not played at his funeral as his sister who was a minister said it was not appropriate.
i still cry when i hear that and the one he used to sing to me was young girl ...he was 18 years older than..lol

Jennyluck Tue 02-Feb-21 20:43:53

Callum Scott- dancing on my own. This was played a lot when my son became estranged from me. It just sums up how I felt.

Nonnapg Tue 02-Feb-21 21:33:58

“You Were Always on my Mind” by Willie Nelson. It reminds me of my father who loved Country music and it has such poignant lyrics that could be true for many a relationship.

Scentia Tue 02-Feb-21 22:25:36

Heal the World -MJ
I sat at my parents dining table listening to this waiting for the car to arrive to take us to my nieces funeral. I will never forget how sick I felt that morning, I was 7 months pregnant with my first child. My sister looked a shadow of her true self to be burying her child?

GrannyBeek Tue 02-Feb-21 23:01:39

Let it go from Frozen. My DS had a long-term relationship with a girl who had two very young daughters. They hardly saw their dad or his parents. We were Granny and Grandad, and DS really brought them up. The girls loved Frozen. They used to act it out and sing all the words. My heart broke when they split up and her new boyfriend stopped DS from seeing the girls. I still tear up when I hear this song.