Gransnet forums

Chat

When Are You ‘Elderly’?

(170 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 02-Feb-21 13:05:02

My cousin, just 68, had her car broken into at home, but luckily not stolen.

She reported the incident to the police, and was pleased but surprised when a police officer visited her.

She said she didn’t know whether to laugh or cry when he said he was sent out because she was ‘elderly’.

M0nica Mon 08-Feb-21 21:05:34

My father lived to 92. When his short last illness struck, he was still an active member of the committees of 3 societies in th village and the outings organiser for 1. He was major-domo at his church, for all services, like funerals or weddings where organising was required and he still drove 100 miles or more on motorways to visit my sister and I. He lived alone and independently for 10 years after our mothers death; cooking. including for parties, eating well and busy organising things.

Even at 92, to describe him as vulnerable was laughable, when someone referred to him as 'that elderly gentleman' I didn't, at first recognise the word as applying to him.

I have every intention of following in his footsteps.

AlisonKF Sun 07-Feb-21 22:09:16

Think back ladies, to the time when being over 25 and pregnant qualified you as an "elderly prima gravida". Ten years from now I shall be 93. I fully expect to make it and see my fourth grandchild reach double figures.

Witzend Sat 06-Feb-21 13:58:41

I’m not keen on ‘senior citizen’ though admittedly it’s preferable to OAP or ‘poor old thing’.

I think I shall be an unashamed OF. (Old Fartette).

hollysteers Sat 06-Feb-21 13:50:54

My mother, late 70s, walked everywhere and always had something young about her. She hated it when her neighbour commented that she “wasn’t getting any younger’ when she arrived home laden with shopping. In Rome, she left my brother behind as she bounded round the sights. Some people just are never “elderly”, just mature.
And I am not an old age pensioner or vulnerable, I’m a senior citizen.

V3ra Sat 06-Feb-21 13:07:58

Witzend I had a passport photo of me in school uniform that followed me into my 20s.
Didn't think that one through did I? ?‍♀️
I got loads of amused comments from passport control officers ?

Susie42 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:03:23

I agree

Witzend Sat 06-Feb-21 12:14:32

Actually I know I’m going to feel very elderly soon - dh is on at me to get a new passport - it runs out in June - ‘in case’ - and that means some ghastly wizened old hag is going to be staring back at me from the Asda’s photo booth pics!!

Dh has just sent off for a new passport, his photos were grim, too, but he doesn’t care.

Witzend Sat 06-Feb-21 11:11:45

I dare say I shall feel ‘elderly’ when I can no longer run upstairs any more, even when I’m not tired.
(I know I’m very lucky to still be able to do this at all at 72).

Mollygo Sat 06-Feb-21 09:25:59

Elderly -when you go to bed earlier than you used to go out.

Rosiebee Thu 04-Feb-21 09:12:15

Elderly when getting out of bed at 8 o'clock, middle aged after shower and getting dressed. Actual age 69.

Hawera1 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:25:22

Ashcombe that really made my day. It was so funny.

ALANaV Wed 03-Feb-21 23:15:36

You are as old as you feel.....trouble is in my case often young people leap up and offer me their seat on the train.bus......I gratefully accept but secretly think OMG must be I look older than I feel ....but I thank them for being kind .......just think of them getting home and saying 'I gave my seat up to an old lady today ......' AND there is a little white haired old lady who keeps following me ...she is in shop windows when I cross the road, often in the mirror in a fitting room (when they were open !) and she even gets behind me somehow indoors .....wish she would stop following me !

minxie Wed 03-Feb-21 21:42:45

I was classed as a geriatric Mother to be at 30. I was not impressed

Elrel Wed 03-Feb-21 21:37:13

I well remember when I first realised ‘elderly’ had advantages! Tired teacher, somewhere in my 60s, plodding along the pavement from the bus, saw the way ahead blocked by large, loud teenage boys paying football. As I got closer the roughest looking boy grabbed the football and yelled to his mates ‘Make way for the elderly!’ My spirits lifted, I thanked them and laughed the rest of the way home with a new spring in my step.
Never judge a book by the cover!

chrissyh Wed 03-Feb-21 19:53:33

According to a friend, it's when you stop falling over and you have a fall.

varian Wed 03-Feb-21 19:37:41

Sorry

varian Wed 03-Feb-21 19:37:11

I had my first child at 24 and just escaped being described as an "elderly primagravida" by a matter of months.

varian Wed 03-Feb-21 19:35:24

I had my first child when I was 24 and just escaped being described as an "elderly primagravida" by a matter of months.

Applegran Wed 03-Feb-21 19:23:37

When I had my first baby in my 30s I was classified as 'an elderly primagravida'! Now, 'elderly' is 10 years ahead of wherever I am. I may have to re-callibrate when I am 100!

Grandmama Wed 03-Feb-21 19:17:45

I might be getting old but I'm not elderly!

Blossoming Wed 03-Feb-21 19:11:01

I have thought about this over the last few days and I have co e to the following conclusion.

I am elderly whenever it gets me a discounf

Scrappydo Wed 03-Feb-21 19:06:01

I had my COVID jab today and I am only 60. I’m grateful but it made me feel old.

Blinko Wed 03-Feb-21 18:47:05

I read somewhere that in 1914 King George V sent just 24 Congratulations cards to centenarians. In 2014, HM sent well in excess of 7,000. So 'elderly' is moving up the age scale, it seems to me.

(Notwithstanding the NHS who probably still refer to some young pregnant mums as 'elderly' primagravidas.)

cassandra264 Wed 03-Feb-21 17:56:45

Twenty years ago I worked for a while in social services. 65 was 'younger elderly'; 75 was 'elderly' and 85 was officially ancient.

Never mind the quality, see the width!

Yammy Wed 03-Feb-21 16:47:57

Me to elderly primigravida at 27. It was not explained what it meant no chance to ask, remembered the primo part when telling my husband and said they were calling me something about a monkey!!!!!