Gransnet forums

Chat

When Are You ‘Elderly’?

(169 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 02-Feb-21 13:05:02

My cousin, just 68, had her car broken into at home, but luckily not stolen.

She reported the incident to the police, and was pleased but surprised when a police officer visited her.

She said she didn’t know whether to laugh or cry when he said he was sent out because she was ‘elderly’.

GagaJo Tue 02-Feb-21 13:09:26

Apparently now (55) Calendargirl. Someone at work thought I might be in line for my vaccination. Currently (even here) only over 70s are getting them.

Blinko Tue 02-Feb-21 13:11:48

In my book, 'elderly' is at least ten years older than me - at any given age.

janeainsworth Tue 02-Feb-21 13:14:35

I felt similarly when reporting a power cut and was assured that we would be dealt with as a priority because we were on the ‘vulnerable’ list because of our age ( late 60’s early 70’s at the time).

How they were going to restore our power supply more quickly than that of our non-vulnerable neighbours remained a mystery ?

Ro60 Tue 02-Feb-21 13:18:06

Me? Never - I've stuck @ 35! lol. - until I put my glasses on & look in the mirror.

I reckon when I can't do the things I want to do either because of strength, mental ability - although the amount of help I have from my DDs with technology makes me feel old & rules & regulations ie working beyond retirement because companies cannot get you insured.

Mamardoit Tue 02-Feb-21 13:29:25

janeainsworth

I felt similarly when reporting a power cut and was assured that we would be dealt with as a priority because we were on the ‘vulnerable’ list because of our age ( late 60’s early 70’s at the time).

How they were going to restore our power supply more quickly than that of our non-vulnerable neighbours remained a mystery ?

They weren't but you may have been put on a generator.

Kim19 Tue 02-Feb-21 13:32:39

Unfortunately, my mirror suggests I might be on the verges whereas my heart and head indicate a definite no. Think a huge contributor to this must be health. I watched a family member age before my eyes when she moved into a chronic pain arena. Happily somewhat improved now but I've never forgotten that.

Kandinsky Tue 02-Feb-21 13:35:50

75+

EllanVannin Tue 02-Feb-21 13:38:07

The word makes me cringe. I'd rather be told I'm not as young as I was. Not old/ aged or elderly.

Ashcombe Tue 02-Feb-21 13:43:10

My GP referred to me as elderly when I was home alone (DH in France) with the 'flu.

"If your symptoms, don't improve you'll be admitted to hospital as you're living alone and elderly!"

That speeded up my recovery! At the time I was 65.

grandMattie Tue 02-Feb-21 13:43:25

We are in our 70s and are very glad to be considered old and vulnerable by our plumber when the heating conks out! We could cope, but it’s jolly nice to be seen to the same day or early the next!
Personally? Any older than me...

Ashcombe Tue 02-Feb-21 13:43:54

Sorry about misplaced comma! Grrh!!

grandMattie Tue 02-Feb-21 13:44:19

Oh, and talking to a doctor friend, she said that for drugs etc., 60 was the watershed between adult and old!

beverly10 Tue 02-Feb-21 13:46:18

When I chose to be grin

LilyJ Tue 02-Feb-21 13:47:46

The vulnerable list is a helpful indicator to electrical/gas and water companies. Should the company’s receive a call regarding loss of supply or an issue in providing it, the call will be flagged up if the householder is on the vulnerable list.
This will ensure a speedy response and urgency to fix the issue as soon as possible and as a priority.
People can either apply themselves to be put on the list or will be referred by family members, carers, personnel from NHS or SS....(but generally I had thought with the permission of the homeowner.)

Marydoll Tue 02-Feb-21 13:52:48

When I was in hospital the Coronary Care unit, a couple of years ago, I questioned a new tablet. Oh we give that to all our elderly patients. I was 63 years old. ?

EllanVannin Tue 02-Feb-21 13:55:38

My problem is that I can't accept being turned 80 ! And did wonder what all the fuss was about when the medical staff kept on at me to get my vaccination as my train of thought was that there were far more vulnerable people than myself if they did but know it.

I just have to thank the Good Lord that I've come this far fairly unscathed.

Esspee Tue 02-Feb-21 13:58:35

Blinko’s definition is perfect.

Oldbat1 Tue 02-Feb-21 13:58:39

I was classed “elderly” giving birth aged 28!!! Now I’m nearly 70 and central heating broke a week ago and we are still awaiting the replacement part. Husband on chemo so really feels the cold.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Feb-21 14:00:29

And so say all of us EV
?

Esspee Tue 02-Feb-21 14:02:11

Oldbat1. I was an elderly primagravid at 28 too. So sorry to hear about your husband. Get on the phone and see if you can find someone to accelerate the repair for you. Best wishes.

SueDonim Tue 02-Feb-21 14:06:03

In the hospital where my daughter trained they only admitted patients to the geriatric wards if they were over 85yo and even then, only if the geriatric unit could offer something other wards couldn’t. I found that very cheering.

kittylester Tue 02-Feb-21 14:14:45

When it suits me!!

WW010 Tue 02-Feb-21 14:20:15

My mum is 98 now and has finally admitted she’s elderly ?. It’s not that long ago she was letting people go in front of her at the post office because they were ‘old’. ?‍♀️

Sara1954 Tue 02-Feb-21 14:24:25

When my grandad was taken into hospital for the first time at 86, he was mortified to be put in the geriatric ward.