Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you talk to yourself?

(52 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 02-Feb-21 14:27:58

I think I’ve always done it to a certain extent but now I find when I’m at home on my own I am doing it nearly all the time, when I am doing housework or some other task,not so much when I’m sat down in the evening ..... then I find I talk to the tv!!! ....?

GagaJo Wed 03-Feb-21 06:16:17

Oooo my mother talks to herself. She always has done. The problem is, she isn't quiet about it AND she mutters away about things that others have done to annoy her. Because she is talking to herself, she can get really nasty. Many times, myself or other family members have overheard her muttering, only to find out she is b*tching about US! My daughter, in particular, gets really annoyed by granny being nasty about me. My mum DOES have reputation for being a vicious old bag. The nasty muttering only adds to it.

Knittynatter Wed 03-Feb-21 06:09:54

This is exactly why my guinea pig is called David the Lodger! I’m not talking to myself, I’m talking to the lodger ?

Scentia Wed 03-Feb-21 05:56:55

I have always done it. In fact I am not talking to myself at the minute as I had a bit of a row with me a few days ago, I really must say sorry and move on?
I think everyone does, some out loud and some in their head, nothing unusual in it.

Nannytopsy Wed 03-Feb-21 04:00:34

DH has long conversations with the cat, usually sweet nothings about his loveliness. Sadly the cat is stone deaf!

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 00:11:30

Of course I talk to myself. Sometimes it's the only chance I get to have an intelligent conversation.

Eloethan Tue 02-Feb-21 23:45:48

I'm doing it a lot these days!

MissAdventure Tue 02-Feb-21 19:28:03

flowers
Txquiltz

Txquiltz Tue 02-Feb-21 19:23:58

Since I am basically alone 99% of the time, I do. Helps me stay organized and a bit less lonely. I know it will be easier once distancing is up. I am married, but he is so involved in the iPad he has no time for anything else. He just returned from hospital after a near fatal pulmonary embolism, he is to avoid setting for any period of time, but the first thing he did was resume the iPad. I’m usually a positive person, but this is a rough patch.

farview Tue 02-Feb-21 19:13:09

moggie57 ?
....stupid phone!!

farview Tue 02-Feb-21 19:11:53

Maggie57 ?

bikergran Tue 02-Feb-21 18:16:57

When GS age 5 used to visit and stay, he would often say "who were you talking to in the kitchen"? there would only be myself and GS in the house. hmm

moggie57 Tue 02-Feb-21 17:59:38

i have always done it . it like i am missing a part of me..at least i dont get any back answers ..someone commented on it when i was working at charity shop ,told her i always done it .maybe it has something to do with that me and my brother had to be quiet because my dad was unwell(mental health as we now know it).i didnt actually talk till i was about 8 ,went to speech classes ,i stuttered and i still do.my brother usually spoke for me.when i was little .so talking to myself was my way of talking .i do it all the time now .being on my own 24/7 with no-one to talk to .

WW010 Tue 02-Feb-21 17:59:32

I used to rehash conversations to myself out loud. ?. Hoping for a better outcome probably ?. Here’s a thing though- people who talked to themselves in the street were always to be avoided. Now everyone does it - except then you see they’ve a discreet earbud in and are talking on their phones ??

Blossoming Tue 02-Feb-21 17:53:28

I do not talk to myself, I vocalise my thoughts ?

dragonfly46 Tue 02-Feb-21 17:47:48

All the time!

Lona Tue 02-Feb-21 17:44:51

The best part of Covid is wearing a mask in the supermarket, where I can talk to myself and no one knows!
I've always talked to my car as she's a wonderful support and has been with me a long time. ?

Beechnut Tue 02-Feb-21 17:40:07

I talk to myself all the time, at home, in the car, to the car (told him earlier he’d done 18 thousand miles ?) and I’ve even started yapping to myself while shopping.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Feb-21 17:30:10

Urmstongran I’ve had an argument with the wall and I am not ready to forgive just yet ?

TerriBull Tue 02-Feb-21 17:09:06

I do occasionally, I often said to my late mother as she aged, "you know you talk to yourself" to which she replied "I do! and a I get some very sensible replies, so it's worth doing" can't argue with that grin

Oldbat1 Tue 02-Feb-21 16:28:38

Always have I think. Certainly do when I’m food shopping. I always gave the children a running commentary as well as the dogs. I don’t like it when other people do it though.

grannypiper Tue 02-Feb-21 16:23:45

All day. I talk to the sheep, cows and hens. The Shetland ponies along the road know all the secrets and the gossip. I swear at the seagulls and the buggers answer back.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Feb-21 16:17:34

Reminds me of ‘Shirley Valentine’ there GG13
“Hello Wall”.
?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Feb-21 16:11:22

Why would I talk to myself when my I live with my good friends the Dishwasher, Washing Machine and The Range?

timetogo2016 Tue 02-Feb-21 16:09:35

Yes constantly.
I get the right answers that way.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Feb-21 16:05:32

Of course I talk to myself---I couldn't talk to anyone better grin