Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you die of boredom

(41 Posts)
Biscuitmuncher Tue 02-Feb-21 20:25:28

I never thought of myself as a shallow person, but seems like going shopping and the cinema were a lot more important to me than I thought

GillT57 Tue 02-Feb-21 23:42:23

I was doing ok until the post Christmas dip which I always find deadening anyway. No foreign trip to look forward to and plan for. I achieve very little, then feel guilty about it and know that I will be cross with myself for not having cleared the loft/sorted the paperwork/painted the wall in the kitchen......I wake in the early hours, thinking what I could or should do the next day and know that I will do none of it and will hate myself even more. I do the laundry, tend the house plants, shove the vacuum around but that is the total of my efforts and reading of other people's achievements just makes me hate myself even more.

polomint Tue 02-Feb-21 23:47:24

Try not to worry over that gillt57. We are all different. Some are wee busy bees that cant sit still and some are wee lazy sods but most of us are somewhere in between. Our body tells us to chill out and we should, but it's our minds who put us on the guilt trip comparing ourselves to others

Biscuitmuncher Tue 02-Feb-21 23:49:40

I've still got my kids at home two are working ones at school. Some days I wish I could just stay in bed

NellG Tue 02-Feb-21 23:50:46

GillT57 - and what exactly is it we're all supposed to be achieving in the middle of the worst crisis most of us have ever lived through? I'd say getting through a day moderately sane by the end of it is a pretty good achievement. This is hard beyond hard - nobody had a crib sheet. At least your plants are surviving, mine take one look at me and wither on sight! You are doing just fine, please don't hate yourself - you're surviving in a global pandemic, there really is no shame to be had. Hate the situation, hate the limitations, but please don't hate yourself.

polomint Tue 02-Feb-21 23:56:46

Very true nellG. It's hard on us all at different levels and we dont know everyone else's personal problems over and above this virus going around. Best not to dwell on the news too often. I've managed to fall into a routine of sorts which keeps boredom at bay. Just a small routine gives a sense of order and control

Ro60 Tue 02-Feb-21 23:57:52

Polomint - so I guess I'm just a little sod ?

sodapop Wed 03-Feb-21 08:58:53

I have felt a bit guilty as well when I read about all the new skills and hobbies people are taking up. I just seem to be plodding on doing what is necessary. I have read more, done more word puzzles. Just keep on plodding I suppose.

Alexa Wed 03-Feb-21 09:17:30

Pathological boredom is usually called ennui and is a symptom of clinical depression. So yes you can die of it by suicide if it is a bad enough neurosis.

Alexa Wed 03-Feb-21 09:18:30

PS none of the replies on this thread indicate clinical neurosis.

PamelaJ1 Wed 03-Feb-21 09:22:59

I was happy to hear that a vaccination centre has opened in a theatre 20 miles away.
I don’t expect that we will be sent there but I would love a drive out so ?
That will be a nice outing, take up a morning or afternoon, give me something to look forward to.
Otherwise all is done in the house, can’t bake because then we’d eat it and get fat.
I can’t be bothered to start taking up hobbies that have never interested me before.
My sister has taken up painting by numbers. There are companies that print your photos onto canvas and you paint them.
Whoever knew that?
Can’t think of anything much more boring than spending hours painting something you don’t want when you’ve finished it.

Chewbacca Wed 03-Feb-21 09:25:47

I'm bored of walking the same walks day, after day, after day. Different routes, different times of the day, but effectively the same walks, the same scenery, passing the same people doing their same walks. And because everyone else is walking the same routes, the footpaths have become muddy and eroded and difficult to keep upright on. Oh for a change of scenery.

downtoearth Wed 03-Feb-21 09:33:35

Just wondering which wall to climb up today.

I try to keep upbeat and positive, but it is getting harder by the day.

Spilt blueberries over the floor yesterday, which caused me to scream, shout,and throw nearest thing to hand in frustration, and the tears followed.

lemongrove Wed 03-Feb-21 09:41:57

NellG

GillT57 - and what exactly is it we're all supposed to be achieving in the middle of the worst crisis most of us have ever lived through? I'd say getting through a day moderately sane by the end of it is a pretty good achievement. This is hard beyond hard - nobody had a crib sheet. At least your plants are surviving, mine take one look at me and wither on sight! You are doing just fine, please don't hate yourself - you're surviving in a global pandemic, there really is no shame to be had. Hate the situation, hate the limitations, but please don't hate yourself.

Good post???

I think most people are feeling the same way Gill as this second lockdown is so much harder than the first one was.
It’s all gone on for so very long now.
We don’t need to do anything ‘improving’ just to do ( or not do) whatever gets us through the day.
At least there’s some hope now, and Spring and warmer weather to come.

midgey Wed 03-Feb-21 09:48:05

Trouble is that we have got Februayitis on top of nothing to do!

WW010 Wed 03-Feb-21 10:06:31

There was a good article in the Saturday Times this week about how the lack of stimulation is switching our brains off. Because we’re doing the same thing day after day our brains are no longer ‘noticing’ what happens. People are finding they are very forgetful (more than usual and at all ages). Apparently it will come back when we get going again. Fingers crossed!!! I loved walking around our area last Spring but agree it’s now boring and yes very muddy on the paths. I read someone said Hampstead Heath was like the Somme it was so churned up and muddy ? I don’t think the weather helps of course. Just have to find bits to do and keep chins up. Not always easy though but accepting bad days will happen seems to help. Good luck out there ?