Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday, subbing for Michael

(99 Posts)
grandMattie Wed 03-Feb-21 06:18:21

Good morning all from an overcast E Kent.
Welcome all newbies, don’t forget that to join you need to answer Urmstongran’s questions ?
Yesterday, I treated myself to some lovely Pottery bowls made in Almeria apparently. They’re covered in fish. Fish are rather a love of mine. I love the shape. (I collect fish earrings - now have about 120 pairs...) and before you ask I am allergic to fish and am Aries, so no connection there!
I’m having my vax today - notice the cunning avoidance of the other word. It’s in a shutdown Debenhams, so will take hundreds of vaccinators. Be interesting.
Hope today is gentle with you all. Stay safe. X

Litterpicker Wed 03-Feb-21 23:34:16

Froglady thanks for suggestion. I did use it years ago when I lived in Norfolk and someone was touchingly grateful for years of “This England” magazine that my late DM had collected. It might be worth a try for some of the books.

It’s getting quite late for a “Good Morning” thread! Good night all ?

Callistemon Wed 03-Feb-21 23:23:53

What are Urms questions? Are they just where we are from and what the weather is like?

I've been on here for a while and only just found out!

Here goes:
"Callistemon, who is a tall statuesque blonde in her early thirties, stood outside her £5 million house and said 'don't be such a sticky-beak'"!

mokryna Wed 03-Feb-21 23:13:43

Yes Taichinan I remember there was something very weird that was suggested at the time.

Froglady Wed 03-Feb-21 22:03:37

Litterpicker - have you tried Freecycle? You join and give stuff away that you no longer want or need and it finds a new home. Freecycle where I live is still operating but you have to leave the stuff on the doorstep for example so there's no risk of infection. I've found homes for loads of things last year when I was decluttering. Good luck with it.

Blossoming Wed 03-Feb-21 18:07:11

Zoe2020 you don’t really have to answer Urmstongran’s questions (but don’t tell her I said so!).

They are whereabouts are you, what’s the weather like and what’s your house worth?

wink

Litterpicker Wed 03-Feb-21 17:16:25

LadyO thank you for your suggestion. I have sent a box to MusicMagpie (£6.49!) but many of the books are pre-ISBNs. Quite a few of the ‘newer’ ones are not wanted - ones like original Terry Waite and Mother Theresa biogs. I really need a recycler rather than a bookseller. I know the libraries and secondhand booksellers have links with recyclers but I can’t find any that will collect from individuals.
You did well with your boxes - obviously more saleable books!

Sparklefizz Wed 03-Feb-21 14:28:21

Haha! Love that story Happyme.
When I lived in a cottage in Shropshire surrounded by farmland, I came home to find a large cow in my garden.

The farmhand came running down the lane and told me to get out of my car and stand with my arms out blocking the cow's way while he tried to get it to go back into the field.

Whaaat? He had to be joking! I sat safely in my car for 10 minutes while he did the job himself.

Niochorio I can just picture that village in Crete. I had the DNA testing done as a birthday present from my kids. I am a hodge-podge of different nationalities, with some Viking, some Western Europe, plus Irish and a couple of other things thrown in.

I have researched my family history back to 1710 and all were English up until then, but links to Suffolk and Norfolk, places the Vikings did in fact land. Note to self: must do some more research on that.

Niochorio Wed 03-Feb-21 14:17:12

Thanks Sparklefizz. No I don’t have any Italian heritage that I know of although I would love to try that DNA testing kit to find out. Nio Chorio is the name of the small village in Crete where we have our other home. Hopefully, we will be able to return in the summer when we have had our vaccinations. Sending the warmest of wishes to all posters ( and lurkers) on this lovely thread.

Happyme Wed 03-Feb-21 13:50:36

Thank you sparklefizz smile. I love a drystone wall and we are lucky enough to be surrounded by them! Those cheeky cows managed to stretch over them and eat whatever was within reach, every so often one adventurous madam would actually climb over.......a cow in your garden is not a welcom sight. The farmer has now added some fencing so that put pay to their tricks.

LadyO Wed 03-Feb-21 13:31:03

Litterpicker if it helps you could see if any of your books could be sent to webuybooks.co.uk ... you have to scan in the bar codes and you get a YES/NO immediately, if they do want them they offer you some money, varies from £s to pence, and a courier will take them away free of charge. Just an idea, we made £57 from 2 boxes in January.

Bodach Wed 03-Feb-21 13:30:39

"Doubtless I shall have a whisky and coke!"
Whisky and coke? WHISKY AND COKE???
Oh, Urmstongran; how could you? Whisky and water is good; whisky and ginger ale is acceptable as part of a therapeutic warm toddy; whisky and lemonade is (sadly) common (in both senses of the word) in some circles - but whisky and coke is - and aways will be - an offence against Society, Tradition, Nature, History, Good Taste, the Free World, and Motherhood and Apple Pie.
Oh, go on then... Slainte Mhath!

Zoe2020 Wed 03-Feb-21 13:26:47

Afternoon Everyone

Where do I find Ermstongran’s questions to reply to, please?

Sparklefizz Wed 03-Feb-21 13:22:02

Welcome Niochorio. What an interesting name. Do you have Italian heritage?

Sparklefizz Wed 03-Feb-21 13:20:08

Thanks for another lovely animal pic Happyme with a very attractive bit of dry stone walling in the foregound. Good enough to paint!

Jaxjacky Wed 03-Feb-21 13:11:31

Grandmattie love the bowls, they would just fit on the empty shelf in my kitchen....?
Welcome newcomers, you’ll enjoy this gentle start to the day.

Niochorio Wed 03-Feb-21 13:04:49

Thank you for the warm welcome LauraNorder, much appreciated. I am from the beautiful Vale of Clwyd in North Wales, where the sun is just peeping its head out now and again, although I do love the snow. Everywhere looks so pretty and I don’t have to venture out apart from the supermarket shop. Looking forward to participating in this lovely thread and getting to know the other posters.

polomint Wed 03-Feb-21 12:57:19

I think I am too late to wish you all " good morning " so I shall wish you a pleasant afternoon. I only joined a few days ago so I'm just finding my way around

LauraNorder Wed 03-Feb-21 12:35:53

Warm welcome Niochorio. Where about are you posting from? Have you got rain or snow or are you lucky enough to have some sunshine?

Niochorio Wed 03-Feb-21 12:05:22

Good Morning everyone! Having lurked on this site and lovely page for a couple of years I have finally found the courage to post after reading another new posters message yesterday. I will of course agree to answering any questions from Urmstongran ?. A quiet day for me at home today ( aren’t they all lately) some craftwork and some housework and maybe a walk later. It is rather overcast, but quite mild and dry in my part of North Wales.

Litterpicker Wed 03-Feb-21 11:59:17

Good morning from West Sussex. The rain has just stopped. I will go and look at the sea in a bit.
grandMattie I couldn’t see the fish in the largest dish at first - just the glorious colours and shapes.
I watched “It’s a Sin” to the end last night and cried for all these lost young lives. It was beautifully acted.
amselerin I hope your marmalade making goes well.
Marydoll I hope your doctors can adjust your treatment without another hospital visit.
Thinking of all on here with health worries for themselves or others.
Have boxes of books to shift from living room floor today - hoping that charity bookshop will want them at some stage in the future as they are blocking my preserves shelves in the garage.

CherryCezzy Wed 03-Feb-21 11:59:16

A good late morning to you all. The sky is blue and the birds are singing their hearts out here in the Gower today ?

I'm still feeling under the weather but have a phone consultation with my GP this afternoon. Other than that just my regular group quiz and maybe a little of my non artistic artwork to fill my time. Oh, and the footie this evening, which I'm looking forward to but as a fan am anxious too ?

I too, like Marydoll, thought you were taking delivery of a new vacuum cleaner today grandMattie ?. Hope your vax goes okay!

Hope your PET scan results are fine Auntieflo ?
Scentia, difficult not to worry but I hope it's unfounded ?
Thanks for letting us know that Viridian is taking a break NanKate, we worry when our friends go missing. I hope you come back reenergised Viridian ?. You too Grandmafrench and Susan I hope your break is giving you much needed time to cope with what you are going through and that you'll be back with us soon ???

Take care everyone, I hope each of you find something to smile ? about today ❤️

Happyme Wed 03-Feb-21 11:55:50

Good morning from my wet corner of Cumbria, late as usual but later than would have been had I not lost my post!!!!! I am so impressed by you early bird gransnetters. Glad you liked my picture of my wooly neighbour yesterday sparklefizz. These cheeky girls are my summer visitors. Our snow had turned to mud and slush by the time we took the Bobby dog for his walk yesterday and after a night of rain it looks even less encouraging for todays walk. Still needs must, probably be more of a drag than a walk as he hates getting rain in his big ears ?. Am thiking of restarting some research into my family history. Did some in 2017 when we were visiting the place in France where my great grandad was killed in 1917. Found out his family were originally from Norfolk, we have a holiday booked there in August ? and I would like to find out more before we go. Best wishes to all for a good day

Taichinan Wed 03-Feb-21 11:42:55

Good morning from the Angus coast where it's cold and dreich, as is becoming the usual. The waves are breaking white so far out to sea that for a moment I thought I was looking at a snowfield!
Thanks for opening again Grandmattie, and I hope your injection goes well. Sorry to hear Veridian is taking time out for good behaviour. Scentia, your poor DD - you must be so worried for her. No amount of telling her 'all will be fine' will reassure her, but your practical help and encouragement will be so important to her in the absence of those hugs.
I too remember Mommawolf's posts and then the death of herself and her DH. I used to love her posts, and then was so shocked that Sunday morning when we got the news. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone tell us the whole thing was a prefabrication? But even if it was, I still remember her and her farmyard tales with affection, strange though it may seem.
I had a lovely time yesterday - honestly! - with my hosepipe and managed to get water flowing into the pond. It is rather a long piece of hose and at times laying it out can be a bit like those comedy sketches involving setting up a deck chair! We did once have a reel for it but I don't know what happened to that - too big and unwieldy I imagine (I wasn't chief hoseperson in those days.). It doesn't seem to have frozen overnight, so I must get out there and keep the water level topped up while the going is good.
And that about sums up all the jolly goings on round the blacksmith's forge. Things have reached an unimaginable low when I have to resort to a dissertation upon a hose!!
I hope everyone has as good a day as possible, and let's remember it IS February and spring really is round the corner - even if the distance between here and the corner might seem very long. "Keep smiling through" as the old song says. ?☀️??

Nannagarra Wed 03-Feb-21 11:34:12

❤️the bowls, gM.

dragonfly46 Wed 03-Feb-21 11:18:54

How wonderful your recipe is spreading far and wide Urmston. I too have pork on my Ocado list today and will give it a go tonight.