Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you watch too much TV?

(124 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 04-Feb-21 21:37:04

I think I do. I start my day with about an hour and a half of Good Morning Britain on my working days. On my days off this might be two hours when it will stretch into Lorraine Kelly's programme. I switch off then until 5.15pm when DH and I watch Pointless and then I'm pretty much slumped in front of the TV for rest of the evening until I go to bed. DH is not as bad as me and he will take himself off into another room to listen to music or the radio. When I'm not viewing I'm quite active though, usually doing a lot of walking. I'd be interested to know other GNers viewing habits.

DanniRae Sat 06-Feb-21 16:22:04

I am proud to say that I only turn the tv on a couple of times a week to watch nature programmes and documentaries. Sometimes I catch the news..........wink

123kitty Sat 06-Feb-21 15:39:54

Like drinking- never in the morning

Magrithea Fri 05-Feb-21 23:03:54

Don't watch morning TV at all and only if I'm ironing in the afternoons. DH and I watch mainly recorded things in the evening

Millie22 Fri 05-Feb-21 21:30:36

I watch the new Gethin Jones morning programme which is a refreshing improvement on other morning television. No other tv until The Chase and then the local news.

Elvis58 Fri 05-Feb-21 21:23:16

I watch bargin hunt, no breakfast tv cannot stand it.
Pointless then l watch the news just once a day.
Evening tv is a bit hit or miss but yes watching too much.

Mercedes55 Fri 05-Feb-21 21:15:08

We have the TV on most of the day and evening, although most of the time it's just on for background noise. We do watch a couple of soaps and at 10pm we sit down and watch the current re runs of Foyle's War as we both like that series. Don't really watch much else smile

Legs55 Fri 05-Feb-21 20:42:54

As my tv is in my Lounge/Dining Room it goes on for BBC Breakfast followed by This Morning then over to ITV3 until 6 when it's back to ITV for the News followed by Emmerdale & Corrie. After that I might trawl through for anything that interests me.

I record lots which I catch up on when I actually sit & watch tv, mostly it's on as background. I enjoy local radio station though & have just bought a radio for my Lounge.

Can't say I actually watch tv rather pick out the interesting bits but I do like background noise, my choice as it's me & the cat. I read a daily newspaper, do crosswords & sudoku also I read several magazines, Countryfile, Dalesman, Devon Life etc. I also read a lot.

Once the weather improves I will be out in the garden & when permitted visiting interesting places

welbeck Fri 05-Feb-21 20:29:28

NotSpaghetti, the Smithsonian is on freeview ch 56.
make sure you have updated your channel list.

merlotgran Fri 05-Feb-21 20:05:53

I'm finding the telly a great distraction at the moment. I switch it off after catching up with the news in the morning in favour of Radio 2 then turn it back on for the lunchtime news.

I leave it on BBC1 while I get on with some jobs as I can't bear the ITV afternoon quizzes. I channel hop during the evenings though.

I ought to do something more worthy like read a book but I have no concentration at the moment so the telly it is.

grannyrebel7 Fri 05-Feb-21 19:53:10

Not just me then. I don't feel so bad now. I do think it's become a lockdown habit as there's not much else to do atm. I'm sure I won't be as bad when the light nights come. For all you non telly watcher, I think I'll start another thread asking what it is you do instead of TV watching. smile

fitwell Fri 05-Feb-21 19:29:26

I used to say to my children , you watch too much tv, to which there response was , you read too much, so If it’s entertaining you or educational where’s the harm ,
I’ve given up on programmes I enjoyed casualty, holby city too depressing though I’ve become addicted to Lingo on itv

grannyactivist Fri 05-Feb-21 18:39:34

Occasionally we watch the Channel 4 news. Otherwise, no TV. If I want to watch something I choose my own time, fitted in around my other activities. Some days I watch nothing at all and at other times I’ll watch a series (one episode each day or two) or a film with my husband. Sometimes, if I’m ill in bed and I have no work outstanding, I explore the different providers and find something outside my comfort zone as a challenge.

Doodledog Fri 05-Feb-21 18:36:27

I'm watching a lot more during lockdown than I usually would.

At least I'm seeing people, even if they are on a screen. I now put the TV on and then look for something to watch, whereas before I would put it on if there was something I wanted to see.

I'm not worried about it though. I don't see watching television as something that should be rationed or something to feel guilty about. It's a way of passing the time, and when I watch I am usually doing something else at the same time.

CarrieAnn Fri 05-Feb-21 18:31:55

We're very different from everyone else, put the t.v. on while still in bed,leave it on all day,not particularly watching , but I like the background noise.It stays on until I've gone to sleep,my other half switches it off

glammagran Fri 05-Feb-21 18:29:34

Watch the BBC news at 1pm but other than that never watch tv during the day. I’ve been recording The Mallorca Files to watch in the beings. Currently watching The Investigation Danish) and just finished watching the last ever series of Spiral ?. TV goes on about 7:30pm. Spend WAY too much time on my iPad.

Mollyplop Fri 05-Feb-21 16:56:40

We haven't had a tv for 20 years. I do watch films on the tablet on Amazon prime though

sodapop Fri 05-Feb-21 15:22:15

I listen to the radio in the mornings then watch TV. I enjoy television and usually do word puzzles and look at GN while I watch. I make no apologies for watching soaps and dramas with the occasional improving programme.

Ealdemodor Fri 05-Feb-21 15:13:51

Don’t worry Grannyrebel7, I’m not far behind you!
Well, our social life has shrunk of course, I can no longer go to museums, or geeky history talks, or even shopping. I am an avid reader, and go for the obligatory walks, but otherwise, on a dark winter evening, what else is there?
So - it’s Corrie, a couple of crime dramas, The Masked Singer, and any history progs I can find + other stuff.
Will soon have square eyes and a flat backside.

Bijou Fri 05-Feb-21 15:04:44

I am 97 and housebound with limited mobility so the TV and DVDs are my companion. I watch travel programmes and documentaries as well as films. My eyesight is not good so cannot read much or do needlework.
I remember laughing at my mother when she was in her nineties when she said that she watched soaps because she had to stay alive to see what happened next.

Mollygo Fri 05-Feb-21 15:01:19

News every day, quizzes night on Monday, Father Brown recorded for watching Tuesday pm, Death in Paradise on Thursdays, House of Games and The Last Leg.
So about 15 hours definite and then the occasional binge of wild life programs or something on Netflix, currently Justified. We rarely have the TV on during the day-you can do a lot more whilst listening than sitting watching.
As long as the house is clean and we’ve been for our daily exercise, I don’t worry about it too much.

Froglady Fri 05-Feb-21 14:37:08

Yes I watch a lot more TV since Covid as I'm staying at home more than I have ever done. I'm reading less as it's easier sitting and watching the TV.

jusnoneed Fri 05-Feb-21 14:35:23

We watch the beeb breakfast news from about 6.30 to 7.30am then telly goes off until about 8pm.
My OH sometimes catches up with something he has missed (usually gone to sleep during lol) from the evening before on his laptop in the afternoon or watches horse racing.
Usually the only time tv is on during the day is for something sporting - footie/tennis/golf or motorsport.
We don't watch any of the soaps anymore, haven't for years.

Madwoman11 Fri 05-Feb-21 14:28:02

What's too much, or normal ? Just do what pleases you while trying to do some exercise too.
I potter about most mornings keeping busy, and get out for a walk most days. Generally the tv goes on about 1.30pm and I enjoy my viewing and relax.
If it feels good do it, because you're worth it ?

Sunlover Fri 05-Feb-21 14:15:22

What is too much TV? During these difficult times I don’t think it matters how much or what someone watches if it helps them through the day. I’m probably watching more than before lockdown as I’d have been out meeting friends or family. Once the weather improves and restrictions are eased I’m sure my viewing time will reduce.

hulahoop Fri 05-Feb-21 14:06:04

My oh likes tv on most of day we watch soaps on evenings and any series that are on .I am Fed up of seeing celebraties on their paid for jollies has my oh calls them.