Gransnet forums

Chat

Reality Shows- do you love them or loathe them?

(66 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:57:41

I’m really over most of them though I do watch ‘The Voice’ when they have it. The cooking ones were fine at first but just go on and on. Same applies to the ‘ survivor’ series. I wish we could get Alan Sugar’s show here but they don’t have it, only stupid obstacle course and endurance type things.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Feb-21 13:28:56

Never watch any of them, it does make me wonder what permutation next, dog grooming now, good grief! But Gogglebox makes me lol, got to be good at the moment, due back soon I believe/hope.

Alegrias1 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:32:03

I LOVE the Voice! Never thought I would but the talent on there is amazing and the judges don't try to make fun of people or belittle them.

Even better I'm afraid is The Voice Kids. I thought it would be very twee but again, the talent is amazing. There was a young man a couple of years ago who performed his own song about how he felt when his mother died, it was so moving.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 13:34:46

I enjoy the programmes about hoarders; particularly when they send in people who have ocd to clean.

Lin663 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:38:14

Absolutely LOATHE this sort of cheap and nasty telly...particularly if it’s a “Celebrity” version

grandmajet Sat 06-Feb-21 13:38:55

I like Bake Off, Junior Bake Off, Come Dine With Me, Dinner Date, Four in a Bed. The people in those don’t seem to be after a celebrity status like the later Big Brother contestants, Towie, and Made in Chelsea.
I do wonder if the camera crew on Four in a Bed have a supply of dust/hair which they place before filming!

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Feb-21 13:39:34

I've always enjoyed Gogglebox and The Apprentice, daft though they are. Since last March I've watched The Masked Singer, The Sewing Bee, I'm a Celebrity and The Great British Bake Off for the first time ever. Sometimes it's good to have something to watch that you don't have to give your full attention to. And we've a lot of hours to fill. smile

Amberone Sat 06-Feb-21 13:41:07

I watch The Voice too - just caught up on the first four episodes. I have it on when I'm in the kitchen as it's something you don't have to watch all the time. Not at all like the X Factor where people who can't sing are filmed just for laughs. All the contestants can sing, even if you don't like their particular style, and it doesn't matter what they look like (at least not at first, anyway). The judges make me laugh too, Tom Jones at 80 is just amazing.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 13:44:56

We used to like Stars In Their Eyes.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Feb-21 13:47:47

They're all too staged for my liking. Can't stand the hysterics on The Voice and shows of that ilk. No wonder teens are neurotic there's no example shown on how to show excitement/ fun without screeching and making as much noise as you can muster.
There's a difference in laughing and applauding to bordering on a frenzy.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Feb-21 13:54:35

My mother would have " beaten me within an inch of my life " if I'd carried on like the screaming teens do in some of these shows. I remember screaming at mum when I was frustrated at 10 years of age----I never did it again grin

May7 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:57:59

Thanks for the link of Susan Boyle's audition MissAdventure
Made me cry all over again. (In a good way of course) just the sheer joy on her face.
People watching fascinates me too so I like most reality shows but with some exceptions - Love Island ugh

EllanVannin Sat 06-Feb-21 13:58:04

I liked Stars in their Eyes too and most of those old shows but won't watch these over-exciteable wannabe's.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 14:01:50

You're welcome may7. smile
A lesson to never, ever judge a book by its cover.

Alegrias1 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:03:09

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFoMJGQl4D0

13-year old Sam performing his own song about his mum on the Voice Kids.

Doodledog Sat 06-Feb-21 14:05:55

I think there is a difference between talent shows (be they singing, baking or whatever) and programmes like Big Brother or Love Island. Gogglebox is different again, I think.

I watch Gogglebox, but like it less than I did, as I think it is far too scripted now. I don't think it used to be as bad.

Big Brother used to be interesting, when the housemates weren't looking for fame, and I quite liked seeing the 'celebrity' ones in the earlier days when I knew who at least some of them were. I've never seen Love Island, but I saw a couple of series of Castaway and that one where they have to survive on remote Islands (is it Bear Grills?). I think seeing people having to appear to be nice to one another whilst also competing for votes is interesting, but can't be bothered with all the exploitation of some of the 'youth' ones such as TOWIE. I think they forget that they have to back to real life afterwards.

I don't bother with the talent show ones. I liked X Factor for a while, but apart from the Great British Menu cookery show I'm not really interested in the other ones.

Ilovecheese Sat 06-Feb-21 14:08:55

I'm guessing you never went to see The Beatles EllanVannin

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 14:09:14

One of the greatest tv moments ever, for me.

youtu.be/_AwplSf_C7E

allium Sat 06-Feb-21 14:09:38

Pass.

May7 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:10:16

ilovecheese gringrin

timetogo2016 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:16:48

Only gogglebox for me,i`m a people watcher minus the bull...t

GagaJo Sat 06-Feb-21 14:21:18

Hahaha, nanaK54. That's right.

BBbevan Sat 06-Feb-21 14:30:37

Never ever watch them. All that trashy television and unknown celebs !!!

BlueBelle Sat 06-Feb-21 14:40:13

I love the Voice for the singers , the judges are slightly better than the Cowel lot I love the pottery, sewing, and various prtrait/landscapes artists and love the masked singer although I didn’t expect to and the American version is pants ( mainly because of the judges) but I absolutely loathe the Chelsea’s, love island, cabin, first married stuff etc which I ve only ever seen snippets of advertising them
I do sometimes watch 4 in a bed but it’s so repetitive you could write the script yourself couldn’t you ? I quite like some of the antique programmes the bidding room bargain hunt etc
I watched Celebrity and Big bro when they first started can’t bear them now same with BGT and other Simon cowel stuff (gosh he’s aged)
Thanks so much for that clip MissA always has me in tears whenever I watch it a big lesson for everyone what a voice

ellenvannin screaming s not new did you never see the Beatles or Rolling Stones ?

BlueBelle Sat 06-Feb-21 14:41:49

For those saying they never watch a reality programme what do you watch there isn’t anything else is there ?

FarNorth Sat 06-Feb-21 14:47:07

That's a wonderful clip MissAdventure . Thank you.

I like the hoarder / ocd programmes too as it's so good to see the improvement, especially if they keep it up.
Also Wife Swap, as it can be astonishing to see what others consider to be normal family life - and there are often changes made for the better.