Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone else have a ‘help me get through this ‘ Mantra?

(82 Posts)
Oopsadaisy1 Mon 08-Feb-21 11:19:34

I had one when our daughter was very ill, it was part of a song
‘Everything’s gonna be all right, everything’s gonna be ok’ it went round and round in my head and kept me from thinking of the worse case scenario.

Recently I heard that Clint Eastwood says every morning ‘Don’t let the old man in’ to himself.
Toby Keith wrote a song about it (it was used in a Clint Eastwood film) and another line was ‘ if you didn’t know when you were born , how old would you be?’
My new Mantra is now ‘Don’t let the old woman in’ I dread being the person who naps in the afternoon because she’s getting on a bit and then slows down.
Obviously if I’m ill and need a sleep that’s a different matter, but I’m not going to act like an old woman until I’m unable to move around and do things.

So p, just wait until lockdown ends, I’m not going to act my age, just the age in my head. Better warn the family I guess.

Madwoman11 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:06:28

Sorry Peasblossom

Dee1012 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:08:50

I read the following quote quite some time ago by Anthony Hopkins (who I adore!) and it really stuck with me. "It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier."

Gagagran Tue 09-Feb-21 10:12:15

I like Captain Tom's "Tomorrow will be a good day" (but I often use "onwards and upwards" too).

I also liked what he said about about dying/his funeral :-

"March in, march out, carry on". What a wise man he was.

sarahcyn Tue 09-Feb-21 10:14:24

“Nothing is ever as bad as it seems at first.”

Froglady Tue 09-Feb-21 10:15:23

My mother's mantra was "Sal says that this will pass" and it stopped her getting panic stricken when her heart condition was causing her concern and losing beats or beating too fast. I'm the Sal in the mantra and it did help her.

BlueBelle Tue 09-Feb-21 10:23:59

Not actually a mantra but when I ve got to do something I m dreading or even not looking forward to I break it down into small chunks and tick them off in my head as I do them

My mantra when my children were teens and getting to the ‘going out at night’ stage and I d be worrying myself silly I used to say my myself Look my granddad was in WW1 at age 16 on the front line and he survived they ve only gone to a disco or a festival or whatever they ll be fine

Applegran Tue 09-Feb-21 10:26:08

"This too shall pass". "I am strong and I can handle this" And there are always small (or large) shafts of light and things to pause and enjoy with gratitude - really makes a differencee.

piano0156 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:35:22

This won't last forever.

keriku Tue 09-Feb-21 10:41:07

I just treated myself to a ring which has “This too shall pass” engraved inside it. I fell on the ice over 5 weeks ago and I’ve been unable to weight bear since, so I’m hoping it’s true!

Theoddbird Tue 09-Feb-21 10:42:00

I consider myself older not old. I will never be old...I refuse to be...simple

timetogo2016 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:43:08

We will be laughung about this next week.

Kim19 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:43:38

Peasblossom, terrific. I'd like to enrol, please? ?

Philippa111 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:46:35

Mindfulness meditation is a great training for being in the 'here and now' and I know ,in any given moment, I can and will cope with what comes up. What isn't helpful is that the mind can go into 'catastrophic thinking' about what might happen in the future. So I catch those thoughts and say' 'no thanks' to them. It works for me! Thinking about the future, (usually with a negative outcome) is what causes distress, especially now with the pandemic. One day at a time is my mantra! And one minute at a time can work too! Another thing I do is to focus on breathing in and out for several breaths... that relaxes everything.

choughdancer Tue 09-Feb-21 10:54:27

I'm not a Christian, but Julian of Norwich's words always feel calming: “All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.” Before lockdown last March I went to a local singing group, and we sang this as a round, so I tend to sing it to myself.

Moggycuddler Tue 09-Feb-21 10:55:21

I have a couple. "This too shall pass" and my favourite, which is actually on a small print on my bedroom wall: "You are a ghost, driving a living machine made from stardust, riding a rock hurtling through space at 30 kilometers per second. Fear nothing."

nananet01 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:57:01

One day at a time...?

Willjac123 Tue 09-Feb-21 11:04:21

Another one whose mantra is " This too will pass"".

Lupin Tue 09-Feb-21 11:14:10

Being a champion procrastinator one of mine is 'Just do it '.
Also - Just get on with it, and Get it Done!. I wish they helped.
Big pile of ironing still sitting there.

Photocrazy Tue 09-Feb-21 11:29:35

Does anyone remember Pollyanna? When our children were young we read Pollyanna and it taught them the lesson of 'be thankful for what you have got and don't dwell on what you haven't' and to this day 40 years later, they still say "doing a Pollyanna".

Katek Tue 09-Feb-21 11:32:53

This too shall pass
Steady the Buffs.

lizzypopbottle Tue 09-Feb-21 11:34:14

Oopsadaisy1 Thanks for posting this!

I had to smile this morning when I read a piece in the paper about how people who have worked hard to conceal their age suddenly want to crow over their friends about receiving their vaccine invitation. Dilemma!

However, perceived age is a subjective thing and I rather like Clint Eastwood's "Don't let the old man in!" I try to avoid falling prey to society's expectations of what people of a certain age can/can't/should/shouldn't do, or be able to do. I also really like the philosophy of, "If you didn't know when you were born, how old would you be?" I never wear slogans on tee shirts but I'd consider that one!

Aepgirl Tue 09-Feb-21 11:36:00

I’ve adopted Captain Sir Tom’s mantra ‘Tomorrow will be a good day’.

Lulubelle500 Tue 09-Feb-21 11:44:20

Something my mother always used to say: Everything passes, even a day on a train with a sick child. I used to think of this when my boys, very close together in age, and who always caught whatever was going at the same time were ill and I was trotting between their bedrooms in the night.

Mollygo Tue 09-Feb-21 11:45:51

This too will pass- right from the start.

stormy54 Tue 09-Feb-21 11:49:54

Mine at work was "Head down mouth shut", never managed to keep to it though....