Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Andrew - it's all gone quiet!

(34 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 08-Feb-21 12:21:20

So, if someone can breathe a sigh of relief with all the news of COVID, and the only news it would sometimes seem, then it's Prince Andrew, as it has all gone quiet with regard to his alleged antics with underage girls. Has he been let off the hook?

Daddima Wed 10-Feb-21 17:44:52

Scribbles that looks like an interesting read. Sadly, it’s not in the online library, so I’ll just wait for my next Amazon gift voucher!

Mollygo Wed 10-Feb-21 00:18:51

Eloethan reply attached.

Eloethan Tue 09-Feb-21 23:38:59

However wealthy you are Mollygo, I doubt that you are in the same realm, wealth wise, as the royal family - and you are employed to do a job which, if you bring your employer into disrepute or you are felt to be no longer capable in your role, or surplus to requirements, you can be dismissed from.

Are you suggesting that every public service worker (most of whom will also be paying taxes and many of whom are providing essential services) should somehow feel beholden to other non-public service workers for their jobs and income? I think it should be borne in mind that people who do not work in public services do use those services, eg for the provision of health, education, justice, maintenance of infrastructure, etc, etc.

If the royal family threw in the towel tomorrow there would no doubt be weeping and wailing from traditionalists but, in reality, what material impact would it have on the lives of the majority of people? The oft cited claim that we would lose tourism is not borne out by various surveys. Tourists to the UK may well visit Buckingham Palace and watch the changing of the guard but their responses indicate that they would still visit if there was no royal family, because we have many other and more popular attractions to offer.

Mollygo Tue 09-Feb-21 14:22:47

Eloethan you’re probably right about the non-royals, but I wouldn’t know.

I wasn’t talking about state pension, I think that was another poster.
My job is paid for by taxpayers. Once it is decided that the use recipients make of taxpayers money should be published, where does it stop?
What would people say if they knew their taxes enabled me to pay £800 per night for a stay in London or that my favourite watch is a BVLGARI Serpenti Spiga?

Grany Tue 09-Feb-21 10:18:37

Eloethan Well Said I agree

Eloethan Tue 09-Feb-21 09:15:50

Mollygo I don't believe non-royals have amassed hundreds of millions of pounds and various lavish residences courtesy of the British public.

Since it is the British public who fund the royal family, I think it is reasonable to be able to have access to information regarding how much wealth is held and where it is invested. I think it is quite ludicrous to draw a parallel between someone receiving state pension and the wealth enjoyed by the royal family.

Oldwoman70 Tue 09-Feb-21 08:32:36

Due to his avoiding being question by the relevant authorities he has made matters worse as it has led to speculation he has something to hide. He should have met willingly with the investigators and answered their questions.

I don't know whether he was aware of the age of the girls or if they were trafficked - I do think he is vain enough to think girls young enough to be his daughters would be keen to sleep with him

Galaxy Tue 09-Feb-21 08:23:35

I think there is no chance that Prince Andrew will give evidence or ever be held liable if he was involved in criminal activity.

Anniebach Tue 09-Feb-21 08:21:58

Norman Baker isn’t the brightest coin in the mint is he ?

Of the security of the royal family he asks why is their security costs kept secret, surely an ex MP knows what
security means

M0nica Tue 09-Feb-21 06:25:10

As a recipient of a State Pension, does my income and wealth have to be open for public scrutiny?

MissAdventure Mon 08-Feb-21 18:52:20

I get my money (some of it) from "the tax payer" and I'm scared to fart in case it breaks a rule.
So, yes, I'm scrutinised.

Grany Mon 08-Feb-21 18:47:53

Well Said Scribbles
Here are two reviews of the book.

Unputdownable.
Every pro-royalist argument is neatly demolished. It shows us what the monarchy really is about: free-loaders; parasites; freebie holidays lovers; hypocrites of the highest order, including the Queen, who by the way has shares in Brighthouse; a firm that exploits the poor in society; the myth that they bring in 'loads of money' proves to be just that, a myth peddled by the Firm.
In fact the annual third of a billion pounds allocated to them (not including security costs which are kept secret-why is that?!) should be rerouted to the ailing NHS, not to the Queen, who is fabuously wealthy. Even their wills remain secret (again-why?)
As head of state she is useless. The institution is undemocratic and riddled with corruption. How can one respect such a family?
They have no place in 21th century Britain!

This is a carefully researched exposure of the greed, the cynicism and the general uselessness of Britain’s royalty. It’s quite jaw dropping to read how the British state panders to them, using every mechanism in their armoury to protect and indeed expand the grotesque privilege they enjoy. Norman Baker also exposes the humbug of royals like Prince Charles and his sons who never miss a chance to leap into a chartered jet to swan around the world. His account of the current life of Prince Andrew is partially entertaining; partially enraging. Well worth the 5 stars

tickingbird Mon 08-Feb-21 18:47:11

Far North Definitely some sort of reptile!!

FarNorth Mon 08-Feb-21 18:45:31

I think that's it tickingbird.
To keep this on topic, I'm sure Andrew is a lizard too.

tickingbird Mon 08-Feb-21 18:37:44

I wonder where Mr Icke gets his information from? Does it get delivered to his brain from some cosmic source we aren’t party to? Has he ever explained his sources?

Calendargirl Mon 08-Feb-21 18:32:39

I wonder what kind of grandad he’ll make?

He has always seemed a caring, loving father to his two daughters, so I imagine he will be the same sort of grandad as any other. Probably has plenty of time on his hands now to babysit.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Feb-21 18:24:37

I wonder what kind of a granddad he'll make ?

Newatthis Mon 08-Feb-21 18:17:59

Mmmmm - how did this go from being a thread about Prince Andrew to the Queen's private wealth? Anymore
thoughts on Andrew?

Anniebach Mon 08-Feb-21 17:26:53

Norman Baker is a republican

Mollygo Mon 08-Feb-21 17:21:23

Oh dear. I’m getting my money from the taxpayer. Does that mean my finances should be open to public scrutiny?

Scribbles Mon 08-Feb-21 16:00:31

Daddima, Norman Baker's book, And what do you do? provides quite an education about how some of that "private" wealth somehow made its way from public funds to personal bank accounts.
See www.amazon.co.uk/What-Do-You-royal-family/dp/1785906216?tag=gransnetforum-21

NellG Mon 08-Feb-21 15:34:11

paddyanne

Only if you're getting your money from the taxpayer Mollygo then I think its right we know whats stockpiled from our cash and where she hides it

Most of her private income comes from the Duchy of Lancaster and other property and investments - the privy purse. The Sovereign Grant is basically an expense account award by the government to cover the costs incurred din her carrying out public duties etc - which includes maintaining the palaces that are state owned. Lots is filtered back to the government in various ways. So, the only thing we have a right to examine is the Sovereign Grant - which is 10 to 15% of her income. The rest she has a right to protect just like we do.

As for Andrew - he should be investigated just like everyone else would be.

M0nica Mon 08-Feb-21 15:31:21

Thank goodness!

Daddima Mon 08-Feb-21 15:28:29

Paddyanne it is the queen’s ‘private’ wealth they’re talking about, said to run into hundreds of millions. I often wonder where that money came from, as most of the land, palaces, jewels, art works etc belong to ‘ the crown’ rather than to her personally.
Of course, Mr David Icke maintains that she gets prior knowledge of share movements from the money men who control the world. ( That’s when she’s not busy being a lizard!)

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 08-Feb-21 15:17:26

The tabloids are still keen on undermining the Sussexes whatever they want to do. They don’t seem to care about potential paedophiles. Also, don’t forget that Andrew is the Queen’s favourite child so she will protect him whatever. Now there’s a grandchild on the way, HMQ won’t want any upsets.