Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Andrew - it's all gone quiet!

(33 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 08-Feb-21 12:21:20

So, if someone can breathe a sigh of relief with all the news of COVID, and the only news it would sometimes seem, then it's Prince Andrew, as it has all gone quiet with regard to his alleged antics with underage girls. Has he been let off the hook?

Mapleleaf Mon 08-Feb-21 12:23:42

If they were 17 plus, then strictly speaking they weren't underage in the U.K., but it's still all rather distasteful. The less I hear about him, the better, frankly.

Doodledog Mon 08-Feb-21 12:27:58

I don't think their age is particularly relevant if they were trafficked. Also, the alleged offences didn't happen in the UK, so our age of consent doesn't matter.

I think it would be better all round if it came to court and was settled once and for all.

icanhandthemback Mon 08-Feb-21 12:36:58

I agree, Doodledog. I don't think it does the Royal Family any good to hide behind their position of wealth and privilege to avoid answering valid questions. Something that could have been over and done with long ago has now been hanging over them for years.
As someone who has a predator in the family currently sitting in jail, I can tell you that the waiting for the investigations to conclude, charges to be brought and trial to be heard before sentencing, is pure agony for the wider family let alone the victim. I wasn't struck by a liking for the most vocal complainant but to be so poorly treated by Prince Andrew is disgusting and really needs addressing. If, by some miracle, it is all invented by the "victims" surely the Royal Family would want to help prove that. It seems that they are sweating about this as much as Andrew was!

Grany Mon 08-Feb-21 12:45:44

I agree P Andrew should face the music at least give his account.

And more about the Royals

Revealed: Queen lobbied for change in law to hide her private wealth.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/07/revealed-queen-lobbied-for-change-in-law-to-hide-her-private-wealth

And P Charles

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ToCA6vS71LQ&feature=emb_title

Prince Charles's exemption from leaseholder laws
Please write to your MP and tell them leaseholder laws have to apply to Prince Charles, even if the Duchy of Cornwall gets his grubby paws on so many things:

Mollygo Mon 08-Feb-21 12:57:56

I’m glad we hear no more about Andrew. I wish it had been settled and it will probably hit the news again once the media run out of exposés about Covid, Brexit and Nicola Sturgeon, but for now I have enough to be worried about.
I sympathise with HRH about keeping her private wealth quiet. I certainly don’t share information about my finances with my family, never mind anyone else.
Did I miss something? Are we all suddenly in favour of being obliged to publish our financial details regardless of our position in life?

Iam64 Mon 08-Feb-21 12:59:50

I wonder if it’s quiet because the FBI investigation into Maxwell and others is ongoing. Andrew will be part of that, has (allegedly) refused to be interviewed, travel is difficult so I imagine he isn’t off the hook yet.
Wanting to see a man accused of having sex with a young woman who was trafficked, isn’t anti monarchy. If you want to criticise the monarchy Grany, maybe a separate thread?

paddyanne Mon 08-Feb-21 15:06:24

Only if you're getting your money from the taxpayer Mollygo then I think its right we know whats stockpiled from our cash and where she hides it

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 08-Feb-21 15:17:26

The tabloids are still keen on undermining the Sussexes whatever they want to do. They don’t seem to care about potential paedophiles. Also, don’t forget that Andrew is the Queen’s favourite child so she will protect him whatever. Now there’s a grandchild on the way, HMQ won’t want any upsets.

Daddima Mon 08-Feb-21 15:28:29

Paddyanne it is the queen’s ‘private’ wealth they’re talking about, said to run into hundreds of millions. I often wonder where that money came from, as most of the land, palaces, jewels, art works etc belong to ‘ the crown’ rather than to her personally.
Of course, Mr David Icke maintains that she gets prior knowledge of share movements from the money men who control the world. ( That’s when she’s not busy being a lizard!)

M0nica Mon 08-Feb-21 15:31:21

Thank goodness!

NellG Mon 08-Feb-21 15:34:11

paddyanne

Only if you're getting your money from the taxpayer Mollygo then I think its right we know whats stockpiled from our cash and where she hides it

Most of her private income comes from the Duchy of Lancaster and other property and investments - the privy purse. The Sovereign Grant is basically an expense account award by the government to cover the costs incurred din her carrying out public duties etc - which includes maintaining the palaces that are state owned. Lots is filtered back to the government in various ways. So, the only thing we have a right to examine is the Sovereign Grant - which is 10 to 15% of her income. The rest she has a right to protect just like we do.

As for Andrew - he should be investigated just like everyone else would be.

Scribbles Mon 08-Feb-21 16:00:31

Daddima, Norman Baker's book, And what do you do? provides quite an education about how some of that "private" wealth somehow made its way from public funds to personal bank accounts.
See www.amazon.co.uk/What-Do-You-royal-family/dp/1785906216?tag=gransnetforum-21

Mollygo Mon 08-Feb-21 17:21:23

Oh dear. I’m getting my money from the taxpayer. Does that mean my finances should be open to public scrutiny?

Anniebach Mon 08-Feb-21 17:26:53

Norman Baker is a republican

Newatthis Mon 08-Feb-21 18:17:59

Mmmmm - how did this go from being a thread about Prince Andrew to the Queen's private wealth? Anymore
thoughts on Andrew?

EllanVannin Mon 08-Feb-21 18:24:37

I wonder what kind of a granddad he'll make ?

Calendargirl Mon 08-Feb-21 18:32:39

I wonder what kind of grandad he’ll make?

He has always seemed a caring, loving father to his two daughters, so I imagine he will be the same sort of grandad as any other. Probably has plenty of time on his hands now to babysit.

tickingbird Mon 08-Feb-21 18:37:44

I wonder where Mr Icke gets his information from? Does it get delivered to his brain from some cosmic source we aren’t party to? Has he ever explained his sources?

FarNorth Mon 08-Feb-21 18:45:31

I think that's it tickingbird.
To keep this on topic, I'm sure Andrew is a lizard too.

tickingbird Mon 08-Feb-21 18:47:11

Far North Definitely some sort of reptile!!

Grany Mon 08-Feb-21 18:47:53

Well Said Scribbles
Here are two reviews of the book.

Unputdownable.
Every pro-royalist argument is neatly demolished. It shows us what the monarchy really is about: free-loaders; parasites; freebie holidays lovers; hypocrites of the highest order, including the Queen, who by the way has shares in Brighthouse; a firm that exploits the poor in society; the myth that they bring in 'loads of money' proves to be just that, a myth peddled by the Firm.
In fact the annual third of a billion pounds allocated to them (not including security costs which are kept secret-why is that?!) should be rerouted to the ailing NHS, not to the Queen, who is fabuously wealthy. Even their wills remain secret (again-why?)
As head of state she is useless. The institution is undemocratic and riddled with corruption. How can one respect such a family?
They have no place in 21th century Britain!

This is a carefully researched exposure of the greed, the cynicism and the general uselessness of Britain’s royalty. It’s quite jaw dropping to read how the British state panders to them, using every mechanism in their armoury to protect and indeed expand the grotesque privilege they enjoy. Norman Baker also exposes the humbug of royals like Prince Charles and his sons who never miss a chance to leap into a chartered jet to swan around the world. His account of the current life of Prince Andrew is partially entertaining; partially enraging. Well worth the 5 stars

MissAdventure Mon 08-Feb-21 18:52:20

I get my money (some of it) from "the tax payer" and I'm scared to fart in case it breaks a rule.
So, yes, I'm scrutinised.

M0nica Tue 09-Feb-21 06:25:10

As a recipient of a State Pension, does my income and wealth have to be open for public scrutiny?

Anniebach Tue 09-Feb-21 08:21:58

Norman Baker isn’t the brightest coin in the mint is he ?

Of the security of the royal family he asks why is their security costs kept secret, surely an ex MP knows what
security means