Gransnet forums

Chat

Sainsbury’s take on Aldi in price war

(34 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 10-Feb-21 13:30:49

In the news today, though they evidently planned cutting prices last November.
Well if it takes Aldi to make Sainsbury's cut their prices, hurray for Aldi. I like both Aldi and Lidl, but Sainsbury's is nearer.

Jaxjacky Fri 12-Feb-21 10:17:05

I’ve been using mainly Tesco for deliveries for nearly a year, very rarely is there something not available. I’ve noticed on some products they now have a ‘price matched with Aldi’ comment. I occasionally use Sainsbury’s, Asda and Iceland for delivery, Sainsbury’s and Asda have more substitutions/non availability. Veg I buy at the farm shop, an early am trip.

Franbern Fri 12-Feb-21 09:38:31

I must admit that I am a loyal Sainsbury shopper. Have often tried other supermarkets, (both up and down the price range), but always return to Sainsburys. I have continued to go to do my weekly shop there throughout the last year, and have been very impressed as to the safety precautions. Have never felt in any danger at any time.
I like to pick my own fruit and veg - and Sainsbury's has continued its policy of doing away with unnecessary plastic wrappings. I like to be able spend a little time comparing prices on other items, and weights etc. I use the zapper system in there, go in the morning on a Monday when it is not very full.
I have very many supermarkets closer to me than my nearest Sainsbury (Waitrose, M&S Food, Aldi, Morrisons, Tesco, Asda and a Lidl) but prefer my six miles round trip each Monday.
Whereas I am on a very limited income, I do worry about farmers, etc being squeezed too much and wish there was much more protection for them.
As for foods being cheaper now - surely nothing like it was back in the days when there was a food subsidy. I cannot remember the last time I was able to afford to buy beef or Lamb. I stick to chicken and fish. Cheapest is what we used to call 'offal' obviously out of fashion at present - so a pack of chicken livers I can purchase for 60p and with the aid of a couple of hard boiled eggs can make chopped liver - a very healthy and enjoyable starter. Have been looking for rabbit pieces, but have not found any - surely these will come back into fashion as another cheap and easily sourced protein.

vegansrock Fri 12-Feb-21 07:31:35

I love Aldi and they do click n collect and deliveries here, but you can’t get the “middle aisle stuff”, although some of it is online. You can get free online wine deliveries from Aldi. I get an Oddbox for fruit and veg as I dislike all the plastic wrapped fruit and veg in many supermarkets.

NotSpaghetti Fri 12-Feb-21 07:06:28

No, you are right Mollygo - but I'd like to see if it might!

Mollygo Fri 12-Feb-21 05:39:05

Aldi has home delivery near us, Lidl doesn’t yet as far as I know. It wouldn’t solve the problem of making sure the the fruit and veg is fresh though.

Teacheranne Fri 12-Feb-21 00:43:38

NotSpaghetti

I am not going into shops anymore. I would like to shop at Lidl really and have treats and "specials"ftom Waitrose or Ocado. I do realise I am lucky to have been able to make this kind of choice pre-covid.

Unfortunately, Lidl isn't even doing "click and collect" so I've used Tesco, Morrisons, Asda and Sainsbury's for deliveries. Sainsbury's repeatedly sends limp short-dated veg, Tesco always has loads of substitutions, Asda is a mix of some shoddy veg and substitutes and Morrisons (although the best of this bunch) doesn't carry some of my "staples. Ocado and Waitrose are both way, way better but way more expensive.

If Aldi or Lidl were doing home delivery I'd be very pleased. I won't be tempted back to Sainsbury's by lower prices. They need to up their delivery game as far as I'm concerned.

That’s very interesting what you say about Tesco. I’ve been using their click and collect service every week since last April and rarely get any substitutions or non orders. On the whole I’ve been very impressed with the service, I think I’ve only once been disappointed with the quality of some salad. I like that the staff read through the short order items so I can decide if I still want them.

I guess it might vary from store to store, the people at the click and collect hut I use now recognise my car and have my order ready as I drive up, I feel a very valued customer.

NotSpaghetti Fri 12-Feb-21 00:30:41

My thoughts exactly MissAdventure. Domestic Science can't help you eek out your meals if there is never enough in the first place.

But regarding Aldi and Lidl, Lidl as of yesterday is doing nothing new - not even click and collect and Aldi is doing click and collect but no deliveries.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Feb-21 00:04:34

I think it would take more than domestic science lessons to deal with the poverty in this country.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Feb-21 00:01:39

I'm sure either Aldi or Lidl have some sort of delivery process now.

Cabbie21 Thu 11-Feb-21 23:42:55

In our previous town Sainsbury’s was the only real option, but here we have Aldi and Lidl which are much cheaper and just as good.
My son works in food production. He tells me about the deals he has negotiated with the big supermarkets and how tightly they squeeze the growers and packagers. Their profits are huge.

Mollygo Thu 11-Feb-21 23:42:30

If I had to judge a supermarket by its delivery slots, I’d wouldn't be able to rate any of them. You can’t rate what you couldn’t get.
I like Lidl and Aldi but I have to be there to choose the food, especially the fruit and veg because I find it often doesn’t last long. Mind you that’s the same as most supermarkets.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Feb-21 23:25:05

I don't particularly like sainsbury's food, but it's the most convenient for me to get to and from.

I've always found their food pretty average. (And expensive, for what it is)

NotSpaghetti Thu 11-Feb-21 23:21:46

I am not going into shops anymore. I would like to shop at Lidl really and have treats and "specials"ftom Waitrose or Ocado. I do realise I am lucky to have been able to make this kind of choice pre-covid.

Unfortunately, Lidl isn't even doing "click and collect" so I've used Tesco, Morrisons, Asda and Sainsbury's for deliveries. Sainsbury's repeatedly sends limp short-dated veg, Tesco always has loads of substitutions, Asda is a mix of some shoddy veg and substitutes and Morrisons (although the best of this bunch) doesn't carry some of my "staples. Ocado and Waitrose are both way, way better but way more expensive.

If Aldi or Lidl were doing home delivery I'd be very pleased. I won't be tempted back to Sainsbury's by lower prices. They need to up their delivery game as far as I'm concerned.

GagaJo Thu 11-Feb-21 23:16:05

Did you mean representing their whole customer base lilypollen?

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Feb-21 23:15:00

Their woke signalling? What’s that? confused

I know Sainsburys supported Black History Month. Was that what annoyed you?

lilypollen Thu 11-Feb-21 23:05:30

Sainsburys p****d me off with their overt woke signalling so have lost me whatever they do to match Aldi. Tesco have been matching Aldi for weeks now, look for their big red dot.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Feb-21 22:57:42

kittylester

georgesgran made the point I was about to make. We should pay the proper price for our food not just try to get it ever cheaper. That just disadvantages the farmers.

Hear, hear. I have every sympathy for people on very tight budgets, who have to count every penny and shop wherever goods are cheapest.

But to my mind the rest of us should think more about where our food comes from, rather than be forever looking for the lowest common denominator. Food is proportionately cheaper now than it’s ever been. Obviously someone somewhere is losing out.

Mollygo Thu 11-Feb-21 22:52:35

Aldi and Sainsbury’s came top in treatment of suppliers according to this.
www.fwi.co.uk/business/supermarket-treatment-suppliers-good-bad-ugly

Chewbacca Thu 11-Feb-21 22:49:52

I’d rather shop in Aldi than Sainsbury’s.

Another here. Fresh veg, meat, cooked meat, cheeses, yoghurt, baked goods, cleaning products and alcohol are all very much cheaper than any of the big name supermarkets and are superb quality. They've improved their stores to be lighter and brighter and the 2 nearest to me have much wider aisles so feel safer.

Nonogran Thu 11-Feb-21 22:45:04

Slightly off piste here but given that most of us might be Grans on this forum, I think it's a shame that some younger women (or men for that matter) don't know how to "stretch" for example a chicken or some meat over several meals. I was taught practical cookery & domestic science at school & know about 1st & 2nd class proteins, nutrition etc. Maybe if this subject were brought back into schools the need for food banks just might diminish?
Meanwhile, I did notice that Sainsbury's seemed more reasonable lately but I can't wait for my local Aldi to finish being rebuilt this coming summer & just across the road from my nearest Sainsbury's. Win, win!

Callistemon Thu 11-Feb-21 21:48:54

It all sounds great for the customer with some things but when there’s a price war over fresh foods - the Supermarkets don’t take the hit - the Farmers and Growers do? At the risk of being shot down, food seems much cheaper than it was years ago
Yes, yet again it will be the farmer who suffers when there is a price war.

No wonder so many are in despair.
Before feeling overjoyed, watch This Farming Life.

I should also point out that Aldi may well treat farmers better than some other supermarkets.

Harris27 Thu 11-Feb-21 21:46:38

Me too.

Blossoming Thu 11-Feb-21 21:44:15

I’d rather shop in Aldi than Sainsbury’s.

kittylester Thu 11-Feb-21 21:30:13

georgesgran made the point I was about to make. We should pay the proper price for our food not just try to get it ever cheaper. That just disadvantages the farmers.

Mollygo Thu 11-Feb-21 20:58:55

We’ve just had the last of 3-day beef from Lidl. Roast brisket beef and trimmings, then cold sliced beef with Colcannon mash and roast carrots, then the remains sliced in with stir fry vegetables. We squeezed a couple of sandwiches out of it and it cost me £7.19.