Gransnet forums

Chat

Fifty Years Ago

(56 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:00:20

I had a Saturday job in a corner shop - I was 17y. Think back - a till like Arkwright’s in ‘Open All Hours’ - where you tilled in the money by pressing down the heavy levers and had to work out the change all by your own big self. Gosh, I was scared stuff!

MiniMoon Wed 10-Feb-21 18:55:00

I was at work in a busy grocers shop. We had to explain to the older ladies that bacon at 12p per pound was actually 2s 6d per pound and not 1s 2d.
It was a very confusing time for a lot of people.

FarNorth Wed 10-Feb-21 18:50:32

I was a junior clerk in a bank. We soon had the conversion table memorised.
I was sorry to see the £sd go.

I think children's brains must be the poorer for only counting in 10's as they do now - no yards & inches, pounds & ounces etc either.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 10-Feb-21 18:45:30

I was calculating the wages for 200 people, I was pleasantly surprised at how much easier it was.

baubles Wed 10-Feb-21 18:42:48

I remember. I was on prefect duty in the school tuck shop. Fun and games!

mrsmopp Wed 10-Feb-21 18:38:14

It was fifty years ago on 15th February 1971, that we lost our pounds, shillings and pence and converted to decimal currency. It took some getting used to as prices rose sharply and we struggled to get used to what we called ‘funny money’,
Was it to bring us into line with Europe? It’s hard to credit now that the pound was 240 pennies and in future it would be worth 100 pence. Remember?