Gransnet forums

Chat

You know you're getting old when you're excited by...

(132 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 11-Feb-21 10:44:49

...a new freezer.

I've got one coming on Sunday. I'm so excited which when you think about it is so sad. It's not that our old one broke it's just a bit too small. This one will give me the extra space I need. When I was younger I got excited about Christmas, birthdays, holidays, nights out, nights in, fun things in general. Now it's a freezer hmm

MiniMoon Fri 12-Feb-21 17:00:42

I got really excited last Saturday as a message came through that my new iron had been delivered. Strange, as I didn't hear the porch door being opened and closed. No parcel in the porch so I went and looked around outside. Couldn't find a parcel anywhere. On Sunday, just about to complain to Amazon DH went out for logs, and found a soggy box in the wood store. Yippee my iron! Its great, I ironed DHs work trousers, it steams, my old one didn't.

Also quite excited to find the new stainless steel inner pot for my ninja foodi had been delivered a week earlier than estimated.

Gardenrosesm Fri 12-Feb-21 16:47:55

I've got overexcited over a door mat which arrived today. Keep going back and admiring it. Get a life!

V3ra Fri 12-Feb-21 16:40:42

Last year in between lockdowns we finally had our downstairs toilet fitted. It means the minded children no longer need to go upstairs at all, which is a real bonus as my son works shifts.
And yes I used to go and look at it and admire it! ???

Lilyflower Fri 12-Feb-21 16:38:35

I still find my Dyson top of the range cordless vacuum exciting. It has cut the cleaning time by half and is so light and manoeuvrable that it’s like a game using it.

The fact that I put all my birthday and Christmas vouchers and money for two years towards it and waited that long to buy it made it even more of a thrill.

What a sad indictment of advancing years. Half a grand’s worth of funzies.

Elegran Fri 12-Feb-21 16:36:43

Calendargirl The mould may need extra thorough cleaning - it may have sat around someone's house for years before it ended up on Ebay. And give the mould a good shoogle before turning it out!

Lizbethann55 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:33:28

Juliet27 chippy tea for us tonight as it's Friday! Our chippy guy is really struggling at the moment so we absolutely have to do our best to help him!! Being helpful is so difficult sometimes!!?

Juliet27 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:26:59

Fish and chip day tomorrow...Yay!

Juliet27 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:26:16

Just don’t look at the needle Bluejay you’ll be fine. They say ‘just a little sting’ but you hardly feel anything. I’m just so glad they now use sting instead of prick!!

Noname Fri 12-Feb-21 16:17:24

The arrival and installation of our new dishwasher yesterday! Ours had died so we ordered a new but just before it could be delivered and fitted, I contracted Covid so of course we have had to wait until we were both negative!

Bluejaytie51 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:10:15

Bearing in mind that I'm someone who has a real needle phobia, I'm getting really excited re getting my first covid jab next week! It will be my first trip into the town centre since before Christmas. I'll order a taxi to ensure arriving on time, then planning on treating myself to a coffee from the Costa machine at the station post jab. The final part of my trip will be a walk along the main street to have a look at all the boarded up shops! Then a bus ride home... sheer bliss!

Brigidsdaughter Fri 12-Feb-21 16:08:40

My pal's DH asked her is she'd like to walk with him to Robt Dyas to buy kettle dealer. She jumped at the chance

kazzer Fri 12-Feb-21 15:52:21

I am excited about the builders coming on Monday morning, plumbers, plasterers, electrians, patio layers, glaziers, on the flip side whole day no heating, hole in wall for French doors and everyone saying it will be worth it, after 6 months of chronic stress it had better be!! On the bright side should only be a few? more weeks!!

crazyH Fri 12-Feb-21 15:09:25

I couldn’t wait to open my new BT landline phone - I can save 200 telephone numbers on it - am so deflated now - have only 50 contacts - I think I’ll have to stand out and ask all the passers-by for their numbers ?

maryelizabethsadler Fri 12-Feb-21 15:04:34

Talking about freezers, years ago my late husband and I had an insurance policy mature, and we planned to use the money to buy a much-needed freezer. We couldn't afford to make a bad choice, so asked around what friends recommended. One of them said, quite seriously, 'Well Mary, it's really up to you. My daughter has a large chest and my brother has a huge upright'!!!

Fernbergien Fri 12-Feb-21 15:01:22

I love having parcels come. Today it was books and a belt. Not easy to find belts but discovered a firm that did a lot. Ordered. Cheap but took a chance. Excellent belt. So well pleased.

GillT57 Fri 12-Feb-21 14:55:48

Anyone coming into the house is excitement! We have just booked our gas engineer to pop in and service the boiler, and although it will all be safely distanced, I can see us end up scuffling to be the one to deal with him, just to have someone else to talk to! Click and collect at the weekend......be still my beating heart.

Musicgirl Fri 12-Feb-21 14:46:27

I have been clearing out my wardrobe and making some money by selling clothes on Ebay. I have been very excited each time l hear the kerching sound from the Ebay app that tells me there has been a bid or an offer. I have made over £200, so it has been a very profitable use of lockdown. My mother has got in on the act now and I have listed some of her clothes. Good fun.

hollysteers Fri 12-Feb-21 14:43:38

My mother used to stand back and urge me to try clothes on when she got older and I found myself doing just that with my daughter last year, urging her to buy some nice shoes, but not for myself. That reminded me I was getting older.
I get excited when a novel arrives in the post from a favourite author, the prospect of a new series like Downton Abbey and going to bed with a hot chocolate, said book and a hot water bottle.?

Calendargirl Fri 12-Feb-21 14:32:12

Elegran

Calendargirl did you rinse out the jelly mould just before filling it? That might have spared you the disappointment

Yes, I did, but still stuck. My old glass jelly mould, which had been my mum’s, (sadly broken), had wider sections, if you know what I mean. This new one had narrower ones.

Sounds unhygienic, but Mum used to poke her (clean) finger down the sides before turning out, even though the mould had been whetted, and the jelly never stuck.

I shall have to try the same.

?

Harris27 Fri 12-Feb-21 14:24:30

I’ve got excited at getting the vaccine on Monday, will be more excited when this is all over and I can go out and have a coffee with friends. Nothing wild just coffee and cake!

FannyCornforth Fri 12-Feb-21 14:12:14

annodomini I know exactly how you feel.
I am currently awaiting the delivery of my new cordless Dyson - a replacement for the one that Hermes has 'lost' hmm

annodomini Fri 12-Feb-21 14:05:59

Excited by delivery of new vacuum cleaner, bought so that I didn't need to carry the big one up and down stairs. I've been admiring it for a day or two. Perhaps tomorrow I will get round to using it. blush

catladyuk Fri 12-Feb-21 14:04:03

my only excitement in these weird times is my local veg box delivery. you pay according to size as with the well known companies but never know what the contents will be so it's pot luck and a lovely surprise.
this weeks box also included a dozen free eggs!

Elegran Fri 12-Feb-21 14:03:35

Calendargirl did you rinse out the jelly mould just before filling it? That might have spared you the disappointment

Aldom Fri 12-Feb-21 13:59:48

I'm with Ashcome I've not felt as excited and happy in a long time as I did on 14th January. Out of the blue, a phone call. Vaccine left over. Would I like to be vaccinated. It felt like winning the lottery.