Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you developed new interests since lockdown ?

(63 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 15-Feb-21 23:02:48

The main ones I have been more interested in are sewing ( hadn’t sewn since the children were young many,many years ago), gardening, bread making. I tried to play the piano ( ok, portable organ) but Duh , I couldn’t get past the Bluebells of Scotland. I have completely lost that ability to my chagrin and the thought of practicing makes me lose the will to live !

PamelaJ1 Wed 17-Feb-21 14:44:11

The only thing I’ve done is get out a dress I was making and got stuck on. I sorted it out and have decided I don’t like it. Oh well.
Can’t be bothered to start anything new or take up a different craft because I don’t really want anything when I’ve finished.
Soon we will be let out to play again and I will be busy once more.

Rosiebee Wed 17-Feb-21 13:39:24

Scottydog I think I have found your lost stone and a half!! When not crocheting, I've been obsessed with trying to find perfect ginger parkin recipes, ginger biscuits - well all things ginger.

Cs783 Wed 17-Feb-21 12:41:43

Rosiebee amazing work! And Scottydog what an achievement smile

Just wanted to add a note of sympathy for those feeling less inspired. FWIW I believe you’ll find your drive returning with the spring... hope so.

Scottydog6857 Wed 17-Feb-21 09:00:41

I have found that my memory and concentration have greatly deteriorated since the first lockdown in March 2020! Also, being forced to stay in the house against my will has significantly affected my mental health and wellbeing in a negative way! ?
My husband and I both had to retire early due to ill health, and being with each other 24/7 just doesn't work, in my opinion! Before lockdown, he had to be pressurised into removing his backside from the sofa and his eyes from the TV, and lockdown has just given him the perfect excuse to vegetate!? He wouldn't go for a day out or holiday with me before - whereas the current situation suits him just fine, as everywhere is closed, I am going off my trolley!? I have always been a fit and active person and I love visiting different places! Of course, that's all up in the air at the moment! I need to get out of the house every day, and for me, a short walk in the park with the dog once a day just isn't enough! ? I am beyond frustrated and it's making me bad tempered and depressed! ??
The only thing I have done more of since lockdown has been home cooking! I was always interested in cooking and made a lot of things from scratch - my mother and both grandmothers were excellent cooks so I learned to cook at a very young age! These days, I have been trying out lots of new recipes from my vast cookery book collection and I have also improved my skills! My husband cannot cook to save himself - he never could, and it doesn't interest him - but he certainly enjoys my cooking! I do my best to cook healthy and nutritious meals for him, as he is diabetic! Since the lockdown, I have lost a stone and a half in weight, so I must be doing something right in the kitchen! ?

Rosiebee Wed 17-Feb-21 08:55:49

Always enjoyed the motion of crochet but have pushed myself to try crochet projects that previously I would have rejected as being beyond my mundane skills. I managed to increase my swearing/language skills at the same time. Also got back into jigsaws. Have to set a timer for 20 minute intervals or I can be bent over the puzzle for an hour and then not able to move.

hollysteers Wed 17-Feb-21 00:42:06

As a gadabout normally, I’m now finding lockdown a terrible bore and agree with those who say they have lost interest in things.
I attended art school as a young thing before music became my career, so have returned to drawing and painting, but frustrate myself at my efforts. I spent a lifetime practising music to reach a good standard and this feels like starting from scratch. However, when it’s working and I’m “in the zone”, it’s rather exciting. I wish I could shake off the what’s the use feeling.
I too am now a member of the Slattern Society and a Gransnetter addict?

GrandmasueUK Tue 16-Feb-21 23:12:33

I’ve tried to get back into my art but haven’t managed to do much more than sort out boxes of brushes, paints, pencils, paper and cards!

I sent for an art subscription box containing lino cutting and printing equipment. I loved it and made my own Christmas cards and am continuing to make other cards and even wrapping paper. I didn’t realise how messy it was (or maybe it’s just me!).

AmberSpyglass Tue 16-Feb-21 21:26:57

The question should be what haven’t I taken up? Embroidery, cross stitch, cycling, gardening, baking, wild swimming... anything except my extensive to do list of things I ought to be doing!

LMW1 Tue 16-Feb-21 20:59:59

I read more. Magazines and Newspapers as well as Biography books. I enjoy looking at the phone as well as the text. I have slowed myself down.

tictacnana Tue 16-Feb-21 17:00:49

I started a diary on the first day of lockdown last year. I find it very interesting writing about daily life during a pandemic. Our local museum said that these may be stored for future study, rather like the Mass Observation of the war years , if people are willing to donate them when this is all over.

Elvis58 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:42:27

I used to read before lockdown, but cant concentrate now.Found borrow box so audio books now.Baking bread, cakes and cooking different recipes and of course eating them!

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 16-Feb-21 14:37:23

Yes, recently I've taken up chess!

I played chess at primary school, where it was encouraged especially in Mrs Nicholson's class, but I stopped when I got to secondary school (at the other end of England so I didn't even have any of my chess-playing friends in my class. Now, having asked on Facebook if any of my friends play, I heard the same story. Must have happened all the time.

Happysexagenarian Tue 16-Feb-21 13:49:24

I've become interested in scroll saw work. I bought the saw for DH for Christmas but I've used it more than he has.
I also renewed my interest in Family History research which I'd put in mothballs several years ago.
And just occasionally I cook something, usually a cake.

Gin Tue 16-Feb-21 13:44:19

I thought Denman was closing down?

mar76 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:43:51

Sorry to say I have lost interest in everything.

Lettie44 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:43:26

I worked during the previous lockdown and retired in November. I’ve taken up crochet and I really enjoy making teddy bears and dolls. I find it really relaxing and therapeutic. My friends and grandchildren love them . I’m hoping to build up my experience of different stitches and techniques with a view to designing patterns at some point in the future

MarinaL Tue 16-Feb-21 13:34:34

I've done a couple of Latch Hook kits, not sure if that's the same as the long stitch that has been mentioned. It's like the Readicut rugs of old if anyone remembers those! They look lovely when finished.

Yiayia4 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:32:05

I have just started diamond art Jennil23 and really enjoying it.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:26:07

I've returned to knitting as I've lost my sewing mojo. I'm halfway through my 5th pair of socks which are by no means as perfect as I'd like.

I'm a worse slattern on the housework front than ever and I just do the minimum. In that respect I've become even more bone idle. But who's going to see it? Nobody.

pen50 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:16:30

Oh, I've definitely got new hobbies! Obsessing, teeth grinding, and neck tensioning. I'm really getting in to all of them>

TerriBull Tue 16-Feb-21 13:03:36

Reading, but I've always done that. Since lockdown learning French, yoga on line, I've dipped in and out of yoga over the years. Increased time walking, but alas not lately weather has been rubbish. Enforced indoor time, I also love codewords and spend way too much time on things like "Outspell" on line, really, really time wasting particularly as I know I should be doing something more productive like unpacking another box in the garage, as we've recently moved and sorting things away is always beckoning

Alioop Tue 16-Feb-21 13:00:39

I have been renovating a rundown bungalow from Oct 2019 and got the majority of it finished just before Xmas. Covid hit and it took a lot longer than I expected it to with the lockdowns. I have now learnt to relax a bit more, reading, baking and getting caught up on the series on telly I missed. The gardens are getting landscaped end of March so I'll enjoy planting out my poor plants that have been stuck in pots for nearly 2 years. I can't wait to get back in the garden again with the sun on my face.

Marg75 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:47:26

I'm addicted to Codewords!! I've had this addiction before when I was in hospital 20 years ago, and weaned myself off!! But it's back........

Cs783 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:35:01

Haha Bazza and Wiljack123 I wonder if your ‘slattern’ is my normal? I used to need to book visitors before I’d do a good clean. So these days...

And agree, what a good thread. Thanks nanna8 and all

melp1 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:31:25

My hobby at the moment seems to be selling on Ebay, we are moving soon and I've had to clear out over 40 years of stuff from loft/cupboards, its surprising what you find you've not used for years and really don't need, over £1,000 made so far. Lots of Star Wars stuff that my son had told me just to get rid of. Posted him all the figures to sell & he's made over £700.
Just wish the charity shops would open soon, some things too big/costly to post but seem to good for the tip.
Lots of extra, longer walks with our dog
Haven't had much time for anything else as still working part-time. I may decide to retire when things get back to normal (if they do) doesn't seem much point at the moment due to the restrictions.