Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you developed new interests since lockdown ?

(62 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 15-Feb-21 23:02:48

The main ones I have been more interested in are sewing ( hadn’t sewn since the children were young many,many years ago), gardening, bread making. I tried to play the piano ( ok, portable organ) but Duh , I couldn’t get past the Bluebells of Scotland. I have completely lost that ability to my chagrin and the thought of practicing makes me lose the will to live !

Eloethan Mon 15-Feb-21 23:53:43

Not really. In fact the interests I do have - art, singing, reading, etc - seem to have rather gone by the board. I am finding it difficult to focus.

Biscuitmuncher Tue 16-Feb-21 00:55:25

I've quite a few penpals but I've not written to them since all this started, I've tried but my letters are so miserable I bin them

Hetty58 Tue 16-Feb-21 01:14:23

I've had the luxury of more time for the hobbies I already had. I'm far more self-indulgent, can follow my moods and be creative and experimental. There are a few upsides to the current situation!

FannyCornforth Tue 16-Feb-21 01:18:34

Hetty you sound so positive! smile Like a breath of fresh air. I wish to God that I could be 'creative and experimental,' I've got no drive at all.

GagaJo Tue 16-Feb-21 08:00:38

I am very limited in what I can do, because I am not at home. BUT I have taken up knitting again. I've made a hat and three scarves. I don't claim to be good at it. Just determined.

tanith Tue 16-Feb-21 08:15:47

I’ve been cross stitching it’s certainly whiled away a few hours.

Esspee Tue 16-Feb-21 08:28:40

I have been thinking of doing my family history for a long time. Signed up this winter for an online class and have been happily engrossed ever since. Discovered lots of interesting things, some surprising, some terribly sad, some amusing. I highly recommend it as a hobby, especially during winter.

Santana Tue 16-Feb-21 08:35:38

I worked through the first lockdown and retired in June, so I had lots of things in my head waiting to be sewn or chrocheted.
Books stacked up ready to read as well.
I didn't plan on baking as I've never really been much good at it. Haven't improved, but 5 yr old grandson is so pleased that we bake as part of his homeschooling. So pleased to take home our efforts. Hopefully he will be back at school soon and I can put my mixing bowl away.

Cs783 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:49:37

Fanny Cornforth I hope your mojo revives soon. I get the feeling it truly isn’t far away flowers.

Crochet. Tbh I had thought it a bit naff BUT it’s a challenge, goes with listening and watching, and turns out that skilled folk make some beautiful things. There’s also activist ‘yarn bombing’ (it’s a thing). Possibilities...

Poetry reading. Loved poetry more than novels once, and the thought of joining a U3A poetry reading group, let alone actually joining, has revived the thrill - it’s a bit like that tingle you can get with any art that touches you.

Gardening. I thought I’d forsworn this having moved to a house with a small garden but I’ve just bought some summer flowering bulbs.

Trisha57 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:01:09

Sewing. I was never really interested, although I made one or two things when my children were toddlers. I've dragged out my old (1982) sewing machine and have made several bits and pieces for the GC - sweatshirts, joggers, a couple of tops and dresses. Who knew that it could become so addictive? I can't stop ordering fabric online and the spare bedroom has become a mini Sewing Bee studio!

Gransnet! Check it every morning for an hour or so and once or twice during the day. So many interesting, informative and supportive threads.

jane1956 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:41:52

At the moment I have got the 2 huge tubs of lego that is all mixed, so have sorted the instructions and now need to sort the pieces for each car etc so grandson can build them back up. To sell it loose it is only £5 a kilo on e bay so worth much more.

Bazza Tue 16-Feb-21 10:52:39

The only thing I have learned is how to be an utter slattern. My mother would have been horrified.

Nurse60 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:59:24

I've spent a small fortune in trying to be creative and develop a hobby. Watercolours, cross stitch, felting. Its difficult as there are no classes available. I retired just as lockdown started and move area 6 months ago. Almost wished I had carried on working. My husband been retired 4 years so happy pottering. I'm struggling though tbh.

Dottynan Tue 16-Feb-21 11:00:39

Somebody on Gransnet mentioned long stitch. I looked it up as I had never heard of it. It looked simple enough so bought a kit and gave it go. I am now on my second canvas and loving it

marq66 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:00:48

I have been delighted to discover the Denman College live streamed classes - all for a £5! This is the college run by the WI but you do not have to be a member to attend the classes online. I started yoga last summer for the first time and have kept it up! I wobble, grunt, laugh and occasionally fall over but as we are all 'muted' no one knows but me. The deep breathing is superb. The tutor must be commended for her clear explanations. I've also done some cookery classes with Denman and have obtained some super new recipes as well as great tips. I keep promising myself I'll do some of the local history talks but time runs out. I do recommend you check them out for a range of one hour sessions at a reasonable price.

Dottynan Tue 16-Feb-21 11:01:53

Somebody on here mentioned long stitch. I have never heard of it so looked it up. It looked easy enough so I bought a kit and I am now on my second canvas

Quaver22 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:02:55

I really miss my usuals choirs which are now known as “same room” choirs. I have joined a number of on line projects with The Isolation Choir and The Stay at Home Choir. The rehearsals are taken by professional musicians on Zoom and on You Tube which you can attend live or catch up with later. Both choirs have hundreds, sometimes thousands of singers tuning in from all over the world. If you want to take part in the final concert you record yourself and submit the recording and all the voices are blended together. Sometimes I just attend the rehearsals to learn new music.
I am in awe of the organisers and musicians adapting their talents to these strange circumstances.

Soozikinzi Tue 16-Feb-21 11:13:02

I have also retired in lockdown not really the best time ! I’ve revived my crocheting which I’m enjoying and signed up for a choir when we can sing together. So there’s messages and preparation for that . I listen to lots of books on the free Borrowbox app . I do walk the dog every day which I enjoy and some online yoga with Adrienne.

Startingover61 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:21:51

I’ve taken up knitting again and am currently making a couple of cowls. Also planning a blanket for my bed. Have rekindled my schoolgirl love of baking and have been making cakes! Mind you, Lent starts tomorrow and I’ve decided to give up eating cakes during this period!

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 11:21:56

No, apart from walking more. I wish I was a crafter/painter/ knitter, having attempted over the years it’s just not me. I do have a new allotment, but have had one previously, so not really ‘new’ for me. Im not even a baker, no sweet tooth’s here. I’m envious and admire those who craft and obviously get a lot of satisfaction from it.

GrammarGrandma Tue 16-Feb-21 11:32:01

I signed up for an online course on English cathedrals and it is going well (week 4 of 10) but we moved house a couple of months ago and the Internet has sometimes had to be switched off for electrical work, making life a bit difficult.

Sardinia2020 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:32:13

I’ve been learning Italian so that when I eventually get to go to Italy again, I will know some of the language.

sunglow12 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:38:27

Belly dance , penny whistle and joined a band as percussionist ?

jenni123 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:40:16

I have taken up something called Diamond art or Bead art, I must have done over 20 pictures now, I really enjoy doing it, it's time consuming but I have plenty of that at the moment.