Gransnet forums

Chat

You worst holiday ever

(129 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 15-Feb-21 23:29:04

I could think of a couple but one memorable one was when we went to stay for a week with a ‘friend’. It was a lovely place, hot and sunny. They had a pool but we were not allowed to go in it because she was renting the place out the following week and it might get dirty. We were actually paying rent in a way because we gave her quite a lot for expenses and bought all the food. Every time we did anything she was on our back, wrong chopping board, can’t use the oven only the barbecue etc. We wanted to drive to a beautiful place a couple of hours drive away and she wanted to come with us so that was fine. She didn’t get up until 11 am and then she wanted to stop at a cafe half way up for an hour. The whole thing was a nightmare, never to be repeated. The friendship has withered. Until that time we got on well.

Scribbles Mon 22-Feb-21 11:48:33

A few mishaps and misadventures and some hotels I'll never go back to but I cannot truthfully say I've ever had a truly awful holiday.

But thank you everybody who's posted here. I've been planning all the places I'm going to go if and when it's legal again and, thanks to this thread, there's now quite a long list of places that are definitely off the bucket list!

Missingmoominmama Mon 22-Feb-21 12:41:11

We’ve had mostly fabulous holidays, but the two I shudder when I think about them were both at Center Parcs. The first was with three children under 3, all of whom had bronchialitis. I spent the latter part of the week pacing the floor with whichever one was awake, with a pan of boiling water with essential oils in, bubbling away on the stove.

The second was when I pulled a young girl out of the pool because she was upright in the water, with just her fingers above the surface. As I hauled her onto the side, lots of water shot from her mouth. Her aunt came and shouted at her; her mum asked me what had happened, then her legs crumpled. The lifeguard took her away, wrapped in a towel, with her mum and aunt, and nobody else asked what had happened, or wrote it down. I was really shaken up.

Eloethan Tue 23-Feb-21 11:29:52

That is awful Missingmoominmama. One wonders what would have happened if you weren't there. Something similar happened to us at Butlins Minehead - not nearly as dangerous but still quite unnverving - when the artificial wave swept by and carried my granddaughter away from us. I had to rush to grab her. She can swim but it scared her. The lifeguard didn't even seem to notice.