Gransnet forums

Chat

Shipwrecked- which 3 possessions do you want for your desert island?

(91 Posts)
ixion Tue 16-Feb-21 08:55:35

(Based, unimaginatively, on a long-standing radio programme!).
You are allowed
One Book
One Single track of Music
One photograph

What would you take, and why?

lizzypopbottle Tue 16-Feb-21 11:36:27

Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
Make Your Own Kind of Music sung by Paloma Faith or Mama Cass
Photo of big family gathering from two years ago but the newest grandchild was still inside her mum.

sunglow12 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:37:12

My I pad in with all my music fully charged , mascara and tena pads ?

HillyN Tue 16-Feb-21 11:38:56

My book would have to be some sort of survival manual.
I think any sort of music would be too depressing in that situation. Anyway, what would I play it on? I suppose any CD would be useful for reflecting the sun at passing aircraft.
My photo would be of all the family round the dining table at Christmas- the first time we had all been together for months.

Foxglove77 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:48:38

The French Gardener by Santa Montefiore. I love all her books.

As it Seems by Lily Kershaw. Just my latest favourite track after hearing it on a film.

My grand daughter's photo. Her cheeky face makes me smile.

lizzypopbottle Tue 16-Feb-21 11:50:53

I forgot to say why! Pickwick Papers is the least depressing of Dickens's works. Not much of a recommendation? Damn me with faint praise? In fact it's a funny, happy book and Mr Pickwick is a thoroughly good man with strong principles.

A friend of mine used to say that her dad's favourite epithet was, "Tolerance is the only virtue." The song lyrics are about tolerance. Paloma Faith certainly has individual style! ?

Family photo is obvious.

Harmonypuss Tue 16-Feb-21 12:02:22

One book and one music track would last me all of about 6 hours and that's assuming I'd have some way of listening to the track. A photo would be pointless, there's no-one I'd particularly want to keep looking at because it would just be reminding me that they're not there with me.

So, after reading the book and listening to the track a time or two (assuming I could), apart from burning the book, which I would find really hard to do because I was brought up to respect books, everything would be useless to me.

BlueSky Tue 16-Feb-21 12:02:26

rowyn

Am I naive, or are those who think they can use ( and charge) their phones on a desert island even more so?

Rowyn Well yes but don’t be such a spoil sport! grin

cassandra264 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:18:21

Complete works of Oscar Wilde, who understood every human emotion.

Your Song by Elton John to remind me that once all we needed was love.

Photograph of my children in young adulthood laughing together.

However, I am reminded by this thread of the late great Joyce Grenfell, who said that, should she suffer a house fire, the two things she would rescue first (after people and animals) would be her furry bedroom slippers and her photograph album. Only one photo is a very mingy allowance!

sweetcakes Tue 16-Feb-21 12:21:15

Book would be Robinson Crusoe or a surviving manual.
I would swap music for a fishing rod.
And lastly a wok for cooking the fish and other food that I find in.

Anniebach Tue 16-Feb-21 12:33:15

Book - The Bible

Music - Clair de Lune

Photograph - Welsh mountains range

Alioop Tue 16-Feb-21 12:34:04

Any Patricia Scanlan book
Love Reign O'er Me by The Who
Picture of all my dogs ( past& present)

geekesse Tue 16-Feb-21 12:40:23

Book: ‘Bleak House’, Charles Dickens
Music: (will I have my old wind-up gramophone?). Judy Garland singing ‘You’ll never walk alone’. I have it on a 78.
Photo: A photo from our Christmas gathering of all my children, partners and grandchildren.

rowanflower0 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:43:53

complete D-I-Y for beginners,
Handel's water music,
photo of my 2 sons aged 3 & 4 sitting in a washing basket, screaming with laughter (now in their 30's)

Nanette1955 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:48:05

The latest James Patterson Novel
Jeff Becks version of Halleujah
Xmas 2011 family photo (the last one we took all together before I lost my husband)

Alison333 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:53:00

Book: Something about survival by Bear Grylls in very large print! (no reading glasses)
Music: Rolling Stones
Photo: Would not be able to choose which family photo so I'd have to take one of deceased family guinea pigs.

Sarahmob Tue 16-Feb-21 12:55:21

Book - Les Miserables - it’s long and would keep me going for a bit.

Music - Mamma Mia (first record I ever bought and never fails to make me smile)

Photo - my daughter and I holding my gorgeous grandson - my loves

Rowsie Tue 16-Feb-21 13:23:39

A pair of tweezers (otherwise my chin hair would be as long as Robinson Crusoe's by the time I was rescued), writing paper and a pencil.

Happysexagenarian Tue 16-Feb-21 13:37:41

A treadle sewing machine (if there's no power)
Scissors, needles and thread
Lots of fabric

At least I'd have something to do and clothes to wear. I can live without books and music and I'd never forget what my family look like or how they sound.

cavewoman Tue 16-Feb-21 13:41:31

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Vivaldi's Four Seasons

A collage of everyone I've ever loved

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 13:42:34

Book, the one I’ve just started. Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith. It’s over 900 pages long so should see me out!

Music, We Love to Boogie, T Rex. It always makes me bounce about, so good to keep fit.

Photo, a big family holiday picture to give me hope.

icanhandthemback Tue 16-Feb-21 14:32:37

Book: an encyclopaedia. I might learn a thing or two and actually retain the information.
Track: Avenged SevenFold's A little piece of heaven. When it is playing I always envisage staging it because it is like a mini rock opera all on its own.
Photograph: I don't have a photograph with all of my family together and the only one I have with most of us, my daughter is missing. It would have to that one but I would have to sneak a photo of my daughter two where she looks so happy, it pulls at my heart strings because I know how hard happiness is to come by for her.

Yammy Tue 16-Feb-21 14:34:17

"Gone with the wind.,"....tomorrows another day.
Strauss' "The Blue Danube.".....happy and uplifting
My wedding ring...... my engagement ring was stolen.

Bluecat Tue 16-Feb-21 15:15:10

Middlemarch. Never got round to reading it, but on my island I wouldn't be distracted by more alluring books. Read War and Peace in hospital, on the same principle.

One Fine Day, from Madame Butterfly, sung by Ying Huang. There are so many songs that mean a lot to me, by people like Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, etc, but I couldn't choose just one to play over and over again. One Fine Day, on the other hand, is a thing of sheer beauty.

I would want a photo of my entire family together but don't have one, as half of them are in the USA. So I would take my favourite photo from our wedding.

Molly10 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:20:25

Maybe...

The Great Escape

I Will Survive

The View in front of me with the sun setting over the sea

grin sunshine

Esspee Tue 16-Feb-21 15:50:09

Saw the title and immediately thought of a good knife, a cooking pot and a lighter. Just shows where my priorities lie.?