Gransnet forums

Chat

On line dating

(16 Posts)
EvieJ Tue 16-Feb-21 11:38:38

Good morning all

Have any of you tried on line dating , if so how did it go?
I've been single for many years and tried many on line site
Some i've paid for some not and i've found not much difference . I'm not if its me but all i seem to get is invite to someones house ?
Well of course thats not happening.

Please let me know your experiences

Eve

WW010 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:00:20

Did it for years on and off. Had a couple of longish relationships which then failed. A couple of bad choices but nothing dramatic. I did the paid ones and the free ones. Eventually found my current OH ? on a free site. One Sat evening was bored so logged on. By then I’d lost interest in lengthy email conversations so we agreed to meet almost straight away. You don’t know until you actually meet what someone is like. We’ve been together 8 years now. Both my kids met their OHs online. Go for it. Be careful and don’t expect too much. You never know ?

GagaJo Tue 16-Feb-21 12:38:51

A long time ago I did. I was 40ish and they were all a bit older. I wouldn't bother now. I am pushing 60 and lets face it, the vast majority of men want a younger woman.

Plus, I think OLD has changed. You only have to read the OLD threads on Mumsnet to find out JUST how bad it is now. Mostly men wanting easy, no strings sex.

WW010 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:12:36

To be fair if this one ends I’ll buy a dog ???.

Iam64 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:37:47

WW010 - get a dog, much better idea.

EvieJ Tue 16-Feb-21 13:47:54

Thats reasuring thanks
Just need to decided which site to use and is it worth paying ?

Eve

EvieJ Tue 16-Feb-21 13:49:46

I hear you because thats been my experiences so far.
I might try see what happens and obviously i'm not stupid so no one will pull wool over my eyes lol

EvieJ Tue 16-Feb-21 13:50:45

Even a dog wants all your attention lol

EvieJ Tue 16-Feb-21 13:52:55

I did think about it in first lock down but since changed my mind. At least with a man, you can put him outside the door and hopfully they'll go
Whereas a dog will seat there barking until you let them in
lol

Iam64 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:57:16

Ah EvieJ, you have to be dedicated to a dog. Not so with men

Esspee Tue 16-Feb-21 14:31:57

I and my OH normally tell people not to do online dating - look what happened to us! but when writing it somehow the humour is lost.
There are men out there who are looking for someone who shares the same experiences, grew up listening to the same music, understands what challenges they faced, who want the same things in the future.
I found OLD extremely safe, my worst experience was with a Church of Scotland minister who was (it turned out) married to another Church of Scotland minister. I met in a public place for a coffee and once I found out his story I explained that I had no intention in having a relationship with a married man and never saw him again.
I attracted mostly nice ordinary men. From a couple of millionaires to others just getting by on their pensions. I kept to online chat until I felt I knew them well enough to meet up then always in a public place. Not once did anyone suggest anything other than dinners, concerts, opera, theatre or cinema for a second date.
Perhaps you need to review your profile and spend time getting to know these men before meeting up.
My OH’s photo was of him pictured at Angkor Watt. I wrote identifying the background, saying that it was somewhere I really wanted to visit. Seven years later he took me there for my 70th birthday. We are very content.

Esspee Tue 16-Feb-21 14:38:39

I recommend starting with free sites, constantly reviewing your profile until you are getting the right responses and once you are more experienced you could try a recommended commercial site.
I met my OH through a free site.
The response you get depends to a large degree on what you say on your profile and the photographs you use.

WW010 Tue 16-Feb-21 14:52:10

Iam64

Ah EvieJ, you have to be dedicated to a dog. Not so with men

A cat then?? Would that be better. Tbf the only pet I’ve ever had was a goldfish ??

Iam64 Wed 17-Feb-21 08:41:00

WW010 - at the risk of sounding grumpy, I wish more people would stick with goldfish. One foster dog was rejected because the owner said the dog she’d hair, so daily hoovering needed

AlAlex Mon 07-Jun-21 12:05:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sodapop Mon 07-Jun-21 12:47:59

No experience of on line dating but I did meet my husband via an ad in the local paper. That was 16 years ago and we are still happily married.
Good luck EvieJ