Gransnet forums

Chat

Isn’t this a lovely way to remember Capt Sir Tom

(41 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 18-Feb-21 11:14:30

Harkness Roses have named a beautiful bright red repeat flowering double bloomed rose as ‘Captain Tom’ as a tribute to and in honour of Sir Capt. Tom. Not only should it lift our spirits but for every rose purchased £2:50 will be donated to “The Captain Tom Foundation.” It grows 3ft x 2ft or you can put it in a large pot.

Sparklefizz Thu 18-Feb-21 11:18:28

That sounds a great idea..... heartwarming.
Thanks for telling us.

paddyanne Thu 18-Feb-21 11:23:33

I think some folk are in danger of giving him a "Princess Diana" type of eternal memory .The old boy did good...it wasn't what he set out to do and the millions raised were ONLY because of his age.Not because he was some sort of saint .
Quite frankly I'm a bit fed up of seeing stuff about him on line.Millions of people fund raise and actually WORK with people in need for decades and dont even get a thank you .I think the Captains daughter likes the fame and she'll keep it going as long as she can

Peasblossom Thu 18-Feb-21 11:34:09

The money was good but the positivity was even better. That was what made him stand out.

Blossoming Thu 18-Feb-21 11:38:44

I agree Peasblossom. Of course he wasn’t the only person doing fundraising, etc. but he showed such wonderful spirit.

JaneJudge Thu 18-Feb-21 11:48:56

I am fed up of people taking something nice and trying to make it horrible. What he did was something good in a time when most of us were locked in our houses worrying about how this virus would unfold. It doesn't mean other people didn't do good/nice things too.

The rose sounds like a lovely idea

Anniebach Thu 18-Feb-21 11:55:59

Thank you for telling us, I will buy one.

I do not think his daughter wants fame, she is grieving and is very proud of her father and has every reason to be proud of him

silverlining48 Thu 18-Feb-21 12:02:09

While I understand what you say Paddy, I think it was more that he cheered us with his gentle positivity in such difficult times , well it did me, and it raised such an unexpectedly huge amount of money (which i hope will be spent on what was intended) and think he deserves a rose in his name to benefit the nhs.
Whether we as a country should always need to use voluntary organisations to run services or to raise funds for what should really be properly financed by the government is another question.
I dont know anywhere else which have quite so many massive 'charity' fundraisers. Its Red nose day tomorrow I think and Children in need at the end of last year.

Mapleleaf Thu 18-Feb-21 12:06:30

It's very true that lots of people do stirling work for others and it goes by largely unnoticed by the majority. However, I think your remark about Captain Tom's daughter was uncalled for and unkind, paddyanne.

timetogo2016 Thu 18-Feb-21 12:10:57

Blimey paddyanna,that was harsh to say the least.

SJV07 Thu 18-Feb-21 12:14:43

I agree with Mapleleaf and timetogo2016, Hannah and family have had hate mail. Jealousy is not nice in any shape or form.

Captain Sir Tom made us all feel better and did good. Leave her alone.

seacliff Thu 18-Feb-21 12:17:11

Agreed JaneJudge.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Feb-21 12:19:23

I shall try to purchase the Capt. Tom Rose.

I think he captured the mood of the nation in its first lockdown. £33 + million raised is admirable.

paddyanne whilst you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I find your post rather harsh and unnecessary.

Lillie Thu 18-Feb-21 12:22:01

That's nice. We missed out on a proper Remembrance Day so this is fitting in its own way.

Oldwoman70 Thu 18-Feb-21 12:52:07

It is true Capt. Tom wasn't the only one raising money for charity - but he managed to cheer and inspire many others with his indominatable spirit and positive attitude.

Not everyone gets recognised for the work they do but that doesn't mean we shouldn't honour those who stand out from the rest.

toscalily Thu 18-Feb-21 13:16:17

He caught the imagination of the masses during a dark time and the outcome was a great deal of money raised which will benefit others. I think that given how much solace many of us found in nature and outside spaces whether they were big or small, a rose named after Captain Tom is lovely, we can choose to buy for others or perhaps to plant and remember those we have personally lost due to the Covid Pandemic. Unfortunate that yet again someone tries does their best to turn a positive post into a negative.

MagicWand Thu 18-Feb-21 13:21:26

Paddyanne's post has at least gone some way to explaining the reasons for the hate mail that the family have received.

Captain Tom was the right person in the right place at the right time. As previous posters have already said, it's just a shame people cannot accept that sometimes someone comes along who acts as an unwitting catalyst for something that is so much greater than anything they had originally planned. We should thank our lucky stars for these people as without them we might all live in a mean little world where no-one dare put their head above the parapet for fear of being shot down.

Sarnia Thu 18-Feb-21 13:23:08

Lovely post MagicWand. It would be a sad world indeed.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 18-Feb-21 13:27:06

As I’ve said before on GN, he was the one who got up and did something that , for him, was an effort and in doing so cheered us all up and did a grand job raising money.

This family has been trolled enough and if you can’t say something positive on a thread about that particular person (especially when they have died) then you shouldn’t post on it.

Just scroll on down.

Mapleleaf Thu 18-Feb-21 13:42:39

That’s very true, MagicWand, well said. ?

Mapleleaf Thu 18-Feb-21 13:44:14

Oh, and meant to add, I agree with your final paragraph, Oopsadaisy.

JaneJudge Thu 18-Feb-21 13:49:39

I used to live quite local to the family and my local to them friend was saying people kept breaking into the garden too and hiding in the bushes. I did wonder whether that was why they appeared to have had some big gates put up when they clapped for him sad and people had to be nasty about that as well. I know we have clapping fatigue but if the family wanted that, they wanted that. It is quite clear both his daughter's love him very much and at the end of your life, friends and family are all that matters.

Vickysponge Thu 18-Feb-21 13:51:16

Mapleleaf

It's very true that lots of people do stirling work for others and it goes by largely unnoticed by the majority. However, I think your remark about Captain Tom's daughter was uncalled for and unkind, paddyanne.

Agree. It was uncalled for and nasty.

Mapleleaf Thu 18-Feb-21 14:06:07

I’ve been on their site to look at the rose. It looks very pretty. Might put it on my wish list for Easter. ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 18-Feb-21 14:13:48

It's a lovely idea to remember him by. That's all that needs to be said.