Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you spent more online during lockdown?

(46 Posts)
polomint Fri 19-Feb-21 12:45:46

I certainly have! I get online groceries delivered and I'm sure the prices are going up. I bought all my xmas presents online. I have been buying clothes , mainly jumpers for husband and myself. Now, I'm buying wee online gifts like chocolates and fancy masks to send to various family members as a wee surprise and to cheer them up.

Mollygo Mon 22-Feb-21 13:21:54

LMW1 I know what you mean. Do you think it’s a bit like going to IKEA?

LMW1 Mon 22-Feb-21 10:40:05

Omg yes yes yes. I don't spend large amounts of money but just little bits and pieces seem to end up in my online shopping basket ?

flaxwoven Sun 21-Feb-21 13:56:57

We have spent money on jigsaw puzzles which keeps us busy, online books for the Kindle, takeaway coffees, and also plants for the garden. But have saved on swimming fees, gym group, meals out, quiz night, taking grandkids out, trips (and holidays). Books can be ordered from the library and collected at the door, and then returned via a hole in the wall! Haven't bought any clothes or shoes because I prefer to try them on in the shop.

Humbertbear Sun 21-Feb-21 09:23:37

We spent less as we weren’t going out so no theatre tickets, dinners, new clothes or travel to pay for. BUT we had our lounge suite reupholstered and bought a new cooker (old one stopped working), food processor (old one fell apart), laptop (keyboard stopped working) iPad, and a new king sized bed (way over due). In other words, most of the savings have been spent on other things.

hicaz46 Sun 21-Feb-21 07:51:40

I’ve spent loads on line, but overall have saved money. I’ve bought books, plants, food, clothes. In fact everything as I haven’t been in any large supermarkets or shops since last March. I’ve sent food boxes and wine and other gifts to family, but have saved money on eating out, U3A groups, holidays, petrol etc. The savings have enabled me to help my son out financially as he is one of those self employed people who didn’t have sufficient tax returns to be helped by any government schemes so is on Universal Credit, He has 3 children, 2 of whom should be at Uni, but who are at home and eating him out of house and home!

Florida12 Sun 21-Feb-21 02:57:36

Oh yes, I have become gadget woman. No wonder Amazon shares have gone up.

grannybuy Sun 21-Feb-21 00:15:15

Bought many of the Christmas presents online, through necessity, but do my grocery shopping at my local supermarket an hour before they close, when it's more or less empty. I will use the shops when they're open again, as I don't want to lose them all, though probably fighting a losing battle. I haven't needed clothes, so have saved money there.

Jillybird Sat 20-Feb-21 19:53:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elvis58 Sat 20-Feb-21 17:44:02

No my friend has a saying "internet shopping is fraught with disappointment "!
I prefer click and collect mostly diy stuff for decorating.
Cannot wait to go physical shopping,touching, feeling and trying on clothes and shoes.Yes waiting for that.

nannypiano Sat 20-Feb-21 17:21:09

My food bill has shrunk while in lockdown because my adult children insist on getting it for me and I only think of things I need. But do love receiving Amazon parcels. Feels like Christmas when they arrive.

win Sat 20-Feb-21 15:49:36

I hope this is allowed?
Are you dear people using your buying power to raise funds for your chosen charities? I run Honiton Carers Support Group and would be grateful for any support not given elsewhere, through Easyfundraising. You can of course make a course for your own charity too. It is amazing how it adds up as some of the companies will pay up to 6%. The first food shop through easyfundraising counts too.

Patsy429 Sat 20-Feb-21 15:22:44

Yes, it's just so easy, even small everyday things which I would normally forget to buy for weeks on end - now, it's in my head and then ordered! I now have regular online grocery shopping and personalised birthday cards, which seem to take me ages to do. But yes, our lives have changed.

Bijou Sat 20-Feb-21 14:15:32

When I was able to go out shopping I was able to go to discount stores and shop around so certainly have spent more by having to buy everything on line. I notice that prices have gone up lately too.

Graygirl Sat 20-Feb-21 12:57:14

Think I have refined mine ,for the last couple of years for health reasons we started getting our large items from Amazon ie dishwasher tabs,washing machine pods, garden bird stuff. When DH put into lockdown I started to look further into online
So same company , have all my favourite brands from shampoo to teabags delivered on a schedule that I can tweak and free

SusieFlo Sat 20-Feb-21 12:06:47

Yes, I get bored and start browsing!!

Roxie62 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:55:43

Oh yes I have. I have my groceries delivered and I agree prices seem to have gone up. I bought all my christmas presents online. I am always buying new clothes and now running out of space to store them. I need to bag up some clothes for charity. I also send flowers to my friends to let them know I am thinking of them. I am also buying items for my grown up children just because. Makes me happy.

Roses Sat 20-Feb-21 11:25:47

I am buying more expensive clothes on line as there are no big holidays to pay for or trips out

They are the only treat I can get at the moment

Panda25 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:12:18

Definitely

Missingmoominmama Sat 20-Feb-21 11:10:08

Definitely. I’ve taken up walking and have spent a small fortune on boots, waterproofs and merino base layers.

I’ve also sent a lot of gifts to my family and friends.

glammanana Sat 20-Feb-21 11:07:11

I certainly have spent a lot of time browsing on line,the xmas box is now complete presents bought in the sales in December/January have all been stored away ready for wrapping later in the year.
The bank balance is looking very healthy as I am not doing impulse buying when out and no lunches with my friends which I miss.
Hopefully what I have saved and continue to save until I come out of shielding will go towards a family get together next Christmas or towards a good holiday somewhere special with my DD.

Babs1953 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:06:03

I spent more online last year on clothes and some furniture and I bought a couple of Christmas presents online when I couldn't get to the shop. I haven't spent a lot this year so far,and we have only had a couple of takeaways and saved money by not going out for meals, or for coffee or the pub.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:52:47

Definitely, and mainly through Amazon, though that will stop once I can get out and about and purchase things for myself. I have save, though mainly cups of coffee with cake while shopping!!

Aepgirl Sat 20-Feb-21 10:49:56

All my groceries are now online, I’ve bought a dress and a jumper, but everything else can wait.

inishowen Sat 20-Feb-21 10:45:25

We're spending less. At first we were treating ourselves to wine every evening. It had to stop. I now drink Tesco grape juice which is delicious. £2 per bottle rather than £7 for a bottle of wine.

TerryM Sat 20-Feb-21 10:44:09

Yeppers definitely