Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you spent more online during lockdown?

(45 Posts)
polomint Fri 19-Feb-21 12:45:46

I certainly have! I get online groceries delivered and I'm sure the prices are going up. I bought all my xmas presents online. I have been buying clothes , mainly jumpers for husband and myself. Now, I'm buying wee online gifts like chocolates and fancy masks to send to various family members as a wee surprise and to cheer them up.

Casdon Fri 19-Feb-21 13:09:41

Yes I have, but I’ve still saved overall. Not being able to buy things on impulse has been a good thing for me I think, and I’ve reduced my stock of bath products, DIY bits and pieces and books, because I’ve used things up and not replaced them. All good, but I spend far too long browsing online now before I commit myself!

grandmajet Fri 19-Feb-21 13:14:46

Gosh, yes! I joined gransnet!

grandmajet Fri 19-Feb-21 13:16:13

Oh sorry, misunderstood!
No, I don’t like online shopping. Although we now do our grocery shopping online. And most of the Christmas presents, so maybe, yes after all.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 13:35:59

I misunderstood like you grandmajet thinking of GN! As in spent time, not money.

I’ve bought gifts on line & had them delivered - flowers, sponge cakes, advent calendars. But I dare say no more than usual. In fact I’ve saved money - no hair appointments, salon treatments, lunches with friends.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:46:10

Like Urmstongran I have saved on personal grooming, lunches out and impulsive purchases. I have definitely saved on food shopping by doing the majority of it online.
Clothes (some for me some just because gifts for family ) birthday and Christmas gifts along with Moonpig cards have all added up to quite a few £££££

Aveline Fri 19-Feb-21 13:49:30

Short answer to the question - YES!

M0nica Fri 19-Feb-21 14:05:16

I have spent more online, but mainly things I would have bought anyway and from the same stores. So it has been a seesaw.

I rarely browse stores. Just go online when there is something I want/need to do a job; decorating materials, standard clothes like jeans where I have had one preferred supplier for years, things I already know cannot be acquired locally, little else.

Doodledog Fri 19-Feb-21 14:06:16

I don't know. I've shopped mainly online for many years now, and much prefer it, so my habits haven't changed at all, but the things I buy may have done.

I haven't bought many clothes since lockdown started, but have probably bought more knitting wool, and have definitely spent more on books, as I am taking a university course and can't get into the library. Food is more expensive than it used to be, but I'm not going out to eat, so maybe am buying more 'treats'.

I think things have probably broken about even overall.

Grannybags Fri 19-Feb-21 14:26:17

Oh yes, I've bought lots of things on line that I would usually have gone into a shop for.

Even before this latest lockdown I tried to avoid shops if at all possible

BigBertha1 Fri 19-Feb-21 14:36:08

Yes indeed I have but overall have saved on not going out, not playing golf or having hairdos, meals, petrol. There were a lot of things we needed as we moved house during the November lock down so lots of things like lighting, bedding etc. Cant wait to have a proper shop though for some new clothes I am absolutely sick of the lock down clothes for hanging round the house all day. We need a sofa too but I wont buy that on line as I need to test my back out on it first before buying. we have a weekly Ocado delivery anyway. I have like others been sending little treats and gifts to family and friends to cheer them up.

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Feb-21 15:30:09

Grannybags same, I dislike shopping full stop, shop online for 90% of everything. So, to answer the question, I’ve spent a bit more as have had gifts delivered for DD and GC’s, they live nearby, but we can’t see them and DD is a single parent. Today I had a cake and Prosecco delivered from M&S for surviving half term!

Mollygo Fri 19-Feb-21 15:39:20

Not really spent much more online. So many members of my family live long distance away so I usually ordered gifts to be delivered even before lockdown.
I have ordered things that I would have gone into the shop for e.g. make up or tins of paint and done click and collect.
I think I’ve used Bloom &Wild more, to send ‘hope these will cheer you up’ flowers (to people I know like flowers as a gift), but that’s about all.

EkwaNimitee Fri 19-Feb-21 15:47:02

I think I’m spending less. Because I am not going on holiday, I am not needing to buy clothes (usually done online) ...only some thermals to combat the British winter! My supermarket shop is now online, my spending is definitely down because no impulse buys. The other impulse buys I might make by visiting shops in town are not being made online. Somehow online shopping doesn’t lend itself to that, I’m just buying what I need.
Though the one thing I am buying more of is books though that’s not outweighing the above savings.

Kim19 Fri 19-Feb-21 18:42:10

Not at all. My CC statements have never been so low. I'd much rather be out and about spending though.

Greyduster Fri 19-Feb-21 18:43:26

Ohhh yesss!!!

PamelaJ1 Fri 19-Feb-21 19:53:48

No
What is there to buy?

Anniebach Fri 19-Feb-21 20:18:36

No, not been able to leave house for 4 years so use to shopping on line

nanna8 Fri 19-Feb-21 22:16:40

Yes I did. For now our lockdown is over but I’m not holding my breath it won’t start again.

Happyme Sat 20-Feb-21 00:30:38

Guilty on all counts. More time online...I blame GN.....and more spending online....BUT spending is on essentials such as food and gifts and is more than balanced out by what I am not spending in shops.

My post vaccine treat is going to be a visit to the supermarket....in the daytime ??

TerryM Sat 20-Feb-21 10:44:09

Yeppers definitely

inishowen Sat 20-Feb-21 10:45:25

We're spending less. At first we were treating ourselves to wine every evening. It had to stop. I now drink Tesco grape juice which is delicious. £2 per bottle rather than £7 for a bottle of wine.

Aepgirl Sat 20-Feb-21 10:49:56

All my groceries are now online, I’ve bought a dress and a jumper, but everything else can wait.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:52:47

Definitely, and mainly through Amazon, though that will stop once I can get out and about and purchase things for myself. I have save, though mainly cups of coffee with cake while shopping!!

Babs1953 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:06:03

I spent more online last year on clothes and some furniture and I bought a couple of Christmas presents online when I couldn't get to the shop. I haven't spent a lot this year so far,and we have only had a couple of takeaways and saved money by not going out for meals, or for coffee or the pub.