Gransnet forums

Chat

Gregg Wallace Fun Weekend.

(64 Posts)
Redhead56 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:12:51

Started watching this new series Gregg Wallace travels to different places for weekends. It’s a bit like Rick Steins weekends but Gregg is so down to earth. This week he was in Rome his enthusiasm is obvious and he is really quite funny. This week he visited a pastry shop that serves everything sweet for breakfast. He was sampling little pastries while saying how much he had sweet tooth.
It was so funny he had icing sugar and fresh cream all over his nose. He is a nice enough guy what I like is his non pretentious attitude. It’s a nice programme and makes you yearn for a trip abroad.

Evoha16 Sat 15-May-21 16:15:42

Anyone remember his dulcet tones from his appearances on ‘Veg Talk’ years ago on BBC R 4 -

Yiayia4 Sat 15-May-21 13:43:05

What rubbish fast food he was eating not typical Greek at all.

DanniRae Sat 15-May-21 13:20:29

Is there anyone on here who actually likes him? confused

Greyduster Sat 15-May-21 13:14:52

I’m another who can’t abide Greg Wallace. My antipathy for him is the stuff of legend in our family! When I look at his face I only see his teeth and his beady eyes and I feel as if he’s going to leap off the screen and wolf me down whole!

MiniMoon Sat 15-May-21 11:21:31

I watched last night because DH wanted to see Athens.
I'm afraid that I can't abide Gregg Wallace. I don't know what he knows about food, except for what he has learnt on Master Chef. After all he is a greengrocer.
I agree, there is a lot more to Athens than was shown on the programme.

farview Sat 15-May-21 11:08:08

I watched his programme in Athens, last night, I found him irritating and full of himself..my H worked in Athens for a year and I used to go out there and I dont think G.W did it justice at all...

MerylStreep Sat 15-May-21 10:38:25

Lucca

If this unanimous thread is representative of viewers....how come he keeps being given more work ?!

The old boy network. ?

Marydoll Sat 15-May-21 10:36:02

Someone must like him!

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 10:34:33

If this unanimous thread is representative of viewers....how come he keeps being given more work ?!

annodomini Sat 15-May-21 10:32:43

It's his fake smile that makes me shudder - all teeth and no facial expression. He is the most over-rated presenter of all time.

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 09:46:35

Recirculate ??? Record

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 09:45:56

If I ever fancy watching Masterchef I recirculate and wAtch later so I can fast forward greg wallace talking !
I avoid anything else with him in it.

DanniRae Sat 15-May-21 09:04:42

I can't stand it when he does that 'false' grin ......... shock

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-May-21 08:22:00

Blimey, he’s a well-loved figure, isn’t he? grin I’ve never watched anything he was in and avoid most programmes featuring celebs on their freebie travels.

DD2 and her other half shared a first class train carriage with GW once and when she texted me I had to google the name. He was a bit grumpy, apparently.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 15-May-21 07:23:07

Does he laugh in it? Because if he laughs I’m definitely not watching it.

Marydoll Fri 14-May-21 23:33:59

Lucca, we watched it again tonight with DD and SIL, it was even more cringeworthy second time round.
However, he is fluent in pidgin Italian! wink

Lucca Fri 14-May-21 22:48:13

Marydoll

It was embarrassing to listen to him.
I can't wait to watch the Berlin one. He is probably fluent in German as well as Italian. wink

Please don’t tell me he spoke Italian..?. Did he describe the pastries as buttery?

Lucca Fri 14-May-21 22:45:15

Marydoll

DH and I are watching Greg Wallace in Rome and shouting at the screen! ? Purporting to be a historian and saying he knows it well. No he doesn't!!!

He was standing right beside our hotel, how dare he rub it in, that I can't go there! ?

Marydoll I was in Rome in 2019 for a wedding. We were actually really shocked by how dirty and slightly seedy a lot of it was. However we loved a visit to the Antica Farmacia I. trastevere

Also have you read Anthony Doerr’s book “Four seasons in Rome”? It’s autobiographical. I loved it.

I am so sorry you are unable to travel there.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 14-May-21 22:40:31

Should read ‘ an absence of Greg Wallace’ my keyboard can’t type tonight.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 14-May-21 22:39:23

An absence of agree Wallace would go a long way to cheer up my weekend, there must be other presenters who want to travel surely?

Grandmadinosaur Fri 14-May-21 20:00:36

I’m not a Gregg fan but tolerate him as I love this series or in fact any to do with travel. Starting to forget what that was like ?

Calendargirl Fri 14-May-21 15:06:52

Just an update for all the Gregg fans on GN.

New series tonight, 8pm, Channel 5. He’s visiting Athens.

?

Marydoll Mon 22-Feb-21 21:13:19

It was embarrassing to listen to him.
I can't wait to watch the Berlin one. He is probably fluent in German as well as Italian. wink

Deedaa Mon 22-Feb-21 21:08:47

I wasn't going to watch because it sounded like another celeb coos over famous landmarks and Greg Wallace to boot. I was so glad I did watch.because he just went to normal places, the sort of streets I would set off down if I was there. Oh to walk into a pasticceria for breakfast. It's almost impossible to eat canoli or sfogliate without getting smeared with cream and sugar. I could almost taste them.

Marydoll Mon 22-Feb-21 21:07:32

I don't think I can bear to listen to much more of him. DH has coined a new word. You know how you get Covidiots, we have just watched a Greggidiot.