Gransnet forums

Chat

Which actors do you consider over rated?

(217 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:27:12

Flicking through channels last night I came across an actor who I think is vastly over rated and I can't understand those who think he is talented. I am talking about Mandy Patinkin. His movements are wooden, he rarely speaks with any inflection and has only one expression - miserable, even when trying to smile!

Magrithea Mon 22-Feb-21 18:49:23

I agree with Joanna Lumley and Ricky Gervaise. I didn't much like Keeley Hawes who does appear to be in everything at the moment but I'm enjoying Finding Alice.

Oldwoman70 Mon 22-Feb-21 18:43:40

springishere

Laurence Olivier was a real actor! Most others just play theselves.

That reminds me of something I read some time ago.

A young actor was speaking to John Gielgud about a part he was playing, the young man asked how he should play it and what was his character's motivation, John Gielgud apparently looked at him and said "it's called acting dear boy"

kevincharley Mon 22-Feb-21 18:19:02

Oh and Joanna Lumley. How could I forget her? The only woman who complains about an all expenses paid trip to see the Northern Lights (something she 'always wanted to do' - so why wait for a tv company to pay, you skinflint) and an ice hotel ('It's cold' - what do you expect??).

Lewie Mon 22-Feb-21 18:16:28

Michael Caine only ever plays Michael Caine!

kevincharley Mon 22-Feb-21 18:12:25

Tom Cruise. Ricky Gervaise. Ben Stiller. Sylvester Stallone. Anne Hathaway, Kate Winslet.
And Salma Hayek for no other reason than she's gorgeous and funny!

maggic Mon 22-Feb-21 17:43:27

I can’t believe that no one has mentioned Helen Mirren!

belle60 Mon 22-Feb-21 17:27:00

Keeley Hawes who is in everything . Last week alone: Finding Alice, It's Sin and Line of Duty. Don't they know there are other actors available!

dolphindaisy Mon 22-Feb-21 16:31:05

I agree about John Wayne, hated the way he played The All American Hero in films when in real life he dodged serving in WW2. Another actor from those days I don't like is James Stewart, especially the way he talked with a slack mouth.

springishere Mon 22-Feb-21 16:31:00

Laurence Olivier was a real actor! Most others just play theselves.

homefarm Mon 22-Feb-21 16:29:36

To many to mention, but on the other hand, could I do a better job - probably not.

Nanna58 Mon 22-Feb-21 16:28:29

Kristin Scott Thomas who ruined Mrs Danvers by confusing character for caricature.

Gardenersdelight2 Mon 22-Feb-21 16:24:31

Marmight definitely agree about Keira Knightley, also don't see the great beauty she is supposed to be!

BlueSapphire Mon 22-Feb-21 16:21:08

And I agree about Judi Dench; she always plays Judi Dench, even in Shakespeare.

BlueSapphire Mon 22-Feb-21 16:18:46

Mandy Patinkin was brilliant in the Bernstein concert recording of 'South Pacific'. He sang the part of the young American GI who fell in love with the local girl. Have never heard a better recording of 'Younger than Springtime'. He was also in the hospital series Chicago Hope.

ElaineRI55 Mon 22-Feb-21 16:12:30

John Wayne - yes. Ardal O'Hanlon has been very much the same character in anything I've seen him in. Happy to be corrected if I've missed him in parts where he's had a chance to shine!

missdeke Mon 22-Feb-21 16:06:38

Another one who thinks John Wayne is one dimensional, similarly Clint Eastwood always seems to play the same type of character. Danny Dyer works so hard at being the Cockney hard man it's laughable, he's the same in that daft game The Wall too, he seems to think that looking through half closed eyes and speaking in a slow voice makes him look hard.

Ngaio1 Mon 22-Feb-21 15:59:44

Cannot agree about Nigel Havers and he is so gorgeous. He used to be the voice who answered when you phoned a certain insurance company. I rang him so often!

Grancan Mon 22-Feb-21 15:34:56

I don’t mind actors playing “themselves’ if they’re good at it like Judi Dench, it’s bound to happen if they’re popular and in loads of things. She played a great baddie in The Notebook.
Unconvincing actors to me are ones who are really comedians, Lee Mack, Alan Davies, Josh Widdicombe, Jo Brand, Billy Connolly. One dimensional characters, too self aware, no emotional range. Others like Ricky Gervais, Steve Coogan, Dawn French can do it and get under their character’s skin but they’re a minority.

Shalene777 Mon 22-Feb-21 15:10:53

Brad Pitt
Gwyneth Paltrow

Elvis58 Mon 22-Feb-21 15:06:43

Hugh Grant plays Hugh Grant in everything.

Bluecat Mon 22-Feb-21 15:03:58

Nicholas Cage. Particularly in the dire Con Air, where he talked as if he was slowly winding down. "Why.. didn't.. he.. just... put.. down..the... bunny.." So bad, it was funny.

Anthony Hopkins. Good in Remains Of The Day but, in general, I think that he over-acts.

Robert de Niro. And what will your next role be, Robert? A gangster? What a surprise.

Froglady Mon 22-Feb-21 15:02:50

Calendargirl

I sometimes think that certain actors/actresses as they age seem a bit OTT.

Robert Hardy comes to mind.

And I know I shall get shot down for this, but Judi Dench comes to mind also.

Glad you said that and not me as I agree with you about Judi Dench but I was too cowardly to say it first.

Alioop Mon 22-Feb-21 15:02:39

Danny Dyer 100%. The big I am, with the dopey stare, he drives me nuts. Fizz and her silly voice and the guy who took over the restaurant in Corrie, his voice grated me it was so nasally. Thank goodness the cops got him!

sue01 Mon 22-Feb-21 14:57:04

Another vote for Keira Knightly and Daniel Craig. Oh and Julia Roberts. Bruce Willis. Jude Law.

Tinydancer Mon 22-Feb-21 14:54:07

HannahLoisLuke

I love Hugh Grant but have to agree he always played the romantic lead in the same way when he was younger. He was brilliant in a Very English Scandal as others have said. Also a comic genius in Florence Foster Jenkins. Sinister in The Undoing. Haven’t seen Paddington but might look it up.
Also adore Maggie Smith but she always plays Maggie Smith, same mannerisms, same arch looks and pursed mouth.
Olivia Coleman, especially in The Favourite, awful cringeworthy performance, didn’t she get an Oscar for it?
Can’t think of any others at the moment.

I was going to mention Hugh Grant in Florence Foster Jenkins. He was very good. Also in that film the piano player played by Howard the guy from The Big Bang Theory. He was also very good.