Gransnet forums

Chat

Which actors do you consider over rated?

(216 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:27:12

Flicking through channels last night I came across an actor who I think is vastly over rated and I can't understand those who think he is talented. I am talking about Mandy Patinkin. His movements are wooden, he rarely speaks with any inflection and has only one expression - miserable, even when trying to smile!

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 10:33:09

I sometimes think that certain actors/actresses as they age seem a bit OTT.

Robert Hardy comes to mind.

And I know I shall get shot down for this, but Judi Dench comes to mind also.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 10:34:33

Oh, and Ian McKellan also.

Kate1949 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:41:58

Michael Caine

TerriBull Sun 21-Feb-21 10:45:53

Oh you've posed an interesting question OP. I need to go away think about the current crop. One that springs to mind from old school days would be John Wayne, who to my mind was unbelievably one dimensional as actors go. I remember they give him an Oscar because it was felt he should have one due to the fact that he had incurable cancer, that year he was up against Dustin Hoffman in "Midnight Cowboy" who turned in a sublime performance, so I realised way back then the whole gong thing was an absolute nonsense. My mother was of the opinion that acting from when she was young was appallingly stilted and phoney, compared to method acting from the days of young De Niro and Pacino for example.

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Feb-21 10:49:38

Olivia Colman.

Niobe Sun 21-Feb-21 10:51:38

Jude Law

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:51:59

Never hear of Mandy Patinkin? I can't stand Danny Dyer - he always looks as if he has a stiff neck and is about to draw his gun from his holster!!

threexnanny Sun 21-Feb-21 10:55:25

I agree about John Wayne. He only ever played himself whether he was meant to be a cowboy, a soldier or a war hero.

Sara1954 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:59:04

Well very current, but I’m constantly annoyed by Daisy in Coronation Street, I think she’s a terrible actress, hope they axe her soon, I can’t stand to listen to her.

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 10:59:37

Judy Dench always just plays Judy Dench.

Sara1954 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:00:20

Disagree Fanny, about Olivia Colman.

Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:05:31

gwenisgreat1 Mandy Patinkin was in Princess Bride, Homeland and Criminal Minds - I almost stopped watching CM because of his acting and was very relieved when he left after 2 seasons!

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Feb-21 11:05:38

Sara1954

Disagree Fanny, about Olivia Colman.

Sara, we could have popped over to the Arguments Thread for a bit of light hearted bickering, but unfortunately it quickly became a thread about cushions and socks confused

Tabbycat Sun 21-Feb-21 11:05:51

Mandy Patinkin is the actor who played Saul Berenson in Homeland.

I agree with you about John Wayne, TerriBull, he always looked and sounded like - John Wayne. I particularly remember him playing a Roman soldier at the foot of the Cross in the film The Greatest Story Ever Told. He only had one line:
Truly, this man was the Son of God
and said it with a drawl, no expression - as if he was playing an American cowboy!

Sara1954 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:08:46

Fanny
Really? How fascinating!

Nannan2 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:12:48

I agree about Daisy in corrie- and add also Gabby in Emmerdale, in fact most of the young females in all the soaps are a bit mundane!

Nannan2 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:14:38

Why has Mandy Patinkin got a girls name???

eazybee Sun 21-Feb-21 11:20:51

Daniel Craig; he is simply one dimensional. I had to look his name up as I couldn't remember him other than as the worst Bond.

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Feb-21 11:22:37

Nannan2

Why has Mandy Patinkin got a girls name???

It's short for Mandel.

Nannan2 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:22:50

Danny Dyer used to be better i think, when he started, but when he alighted on Eastenders, he began to change, like he didnt think he had to do much, as he was now 'famous'- but i think all the long- timers on the soaps get like that these days, but that could just be the scriptwriters because they don't know where else to take their characters?- lets hope Danny Dyer's new abuse storyline brings him back down to earth so he can play it with real feeling & compassion to do the story justice?

Nannan2 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:24:34

Fanny-why not just say Mandel then, its not much shorter is it??

Nannan2 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:25:23

*him, i mean, not you.

Nannan2 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:27:21

I suppose he thought mandy would get him more notice, as an actor..But Mandel is unusual too, and sounds more dignified for him.

Marmight Sun 21-Feb-21 11:29:37

Brian Blessed
Keira Knightly who is just KK in whatever role she plays
Same with Hugh Grant, but I do rather like him nevertheless!