Gransnet forums

Chat

No Grandchildren

(28 Posts)
Sara1954 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:26:57

My best friend doesn’t have any grandchildren, I have six. She probably will do, but her daughter lives at the other end of the country, and is very involved with her husband’s family,
I think we both realise that we have things in our lives which we sometimes feel envious about, me and my hoards of children, her lovely peaceful life, tidy home, plenty of time to spend however she likes.
I suppose we all have to make the best of what we have.

Luckygirl Sun 21-Feb-21 12:02:45

I am sorry that you feel this absence in your life.

I have a dear friend who worked with children all her life and enjoyed it hugely. But neither of her own children plan to reproduce and she and her OH feel sad about that.

I van understand that this must be hard, but hope that maybe you have great nieces or nephews or other activities that you enjoy.

There are organisations who work with children who value the input of more mature adults - Home Start for instance.

mrsmopp Sun 21-Feb-21 11:31:31

We have been hoping for grandchildren but we realise now it’s never going to happen and it’s so sad. We have two sons in their fifties and they both live alone unmarried, and never shown an interest in having a wife or family.
We don’t see then very often as they live five hours drive away. A weekly phone call is all. We love them both so much and have a good relationship with them but I’m very sad that our family will come to an end.
All our friends have so much joy with their families and it’s hard to think it will never happen.