Gransnet forums

Chat

Has Gransnet changed your point of view?

(40 Posts)
LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 15:50:24

I find my views of monarchy have been swayed by informed discussion. From monarchist to republican.
Also looking at Scottish independence from the informed view of the Scottish people instead of my English view of the Union.
Have your views been influenced by discussion on here? If so which?

GillT57 Mon 22-Feb-21 10:50:07

I have learnt quite a lot about other people's beliefs and opinions and why they have them. This has made me question myself as to why I have my own ideas, how I got them, and hopefully have a good reason for thinking as I do about certain subjects, not just inherited or learnt behaviour. I find it strange, for example, that people vote the way their parents voted, just because their parents did so. I have found the posts from those with a professional background in economics, or social work or science for example to be very useful.

Casdon Mon 22-Feb-21 10:12:09

I think this is a really good question LauraNorder. I’ve learned quite a lot I think, because I’m another one who likes to check out facts for myself rather than shoot from the hip, and I’ve had more time to do that in the last few months.

I’ve reflected on some of the posts, particularly from those with scientific and academic backgrounds who put forward arguments with a solid foundation, and taken their comments on board. I’ve also learned more about who to avoid responding to because they completely ignore any evidence that doesn’t support their views, and go on and on in some cases - although they do add a certain entertainment value!

nanna8 Mon 22-Feb-21 07:18:36

No, mostly it makes me more confirmed in my views. In the words of Robert Owen, ‘ all the world is queer except thee and me and even thee art a little queer’

LauraNorder Mon 22-Feb-21 02:48:36

It would be lovely if the government could just print a load of money to build hospitals, schools, roads, railways, bridges. To pay for more doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen, teachers.
Give everyone a huge pay rise. If it worked that way all countries would be rich and there’d be no poverty.
There have to be checks and balances. Someone has to pay for it all in the end and taxes across the board will have to rise to pay for the covid nightmare.
I wish MaizieDs theory worked but it doesn’t.
I think George Osbourne did the right thing with the austerity measures, it had to be done, hopefully this government and future governments will find a better way to service the national debt. Creation of a stronger manufacturing base would be a good start in my opinion.

lemongrove Sun 21-Feb-21 22:46:56

M0nica

*Urmston*, I am sorry Maizie is wrong and I usually post so every time she brings up the subject of national debt. I am an economist, so feel I can speak with some knowledge of the subject.

I agree with Monica
Of course it isn’t a household budget but neither is printing too much money the answer either.Far from it!
I read views on here with interest (sometimes) and now and then it will make me think further about a topic, which is always a good thing.

M0nica Sun 21-Feb-21 22:11:18

Urmston, I am sorry Maizie is wrong and I usually post so every time she brings up the subject of national debt. I am an economist, so feel I can speak with some knowledge of the subject.

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 22:05:51

Thank you

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 22:02:57

LauraNorder

How were your views changed Suziewoozie? What in particular changed your view?

I’ll try and be brief - I came at the issue originally from a very trans rights perspective. In terms of personal experience, I had worked for years with a woman who has fully transitioned. Through MN discussions including a range of links, I became aware of the TRA movement and the potential problems of self id and the way the movement so rapidly gained a foothold in influencing government. Final point was the realisation that giving one group of people rights should not mean another group having their rights severely curtailed.

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 21:51:39

How were your views changed Suziewoozie? What in particular changed your view?

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 19:36:45

Iam64

The first ‘issue’ that came to mind for me was the various discussions on transgender. They became heated and rather polarised. My views weren’t changed, in fact I found some of the lecturing, patronising posts in support eg of self ID so dismissive, my views probably strengthened.

My views on transgender issues were forever changed and shaped by MN a few years ago. I wasn’t on GN then and don’t know when the issue first started being discussed here.

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 19:32:52

diygran- glad to hear you weren't intimidated, sadly, I know too many who'd rather avoid confrontation.

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 19:10:41

I've certainly questioned some of my views more as a result of discussions here. I always read links and will often read a fair few sources which support alternative views to mine. I would be happy to admit I'd changed my view too. I found MaizieD's posts were a source of great interest and triggered a lot of discussion at home. So yes, there's a lot of value in many of the posts on here.

Amberone Sun 21-Feb-21 19:02:55

Haven't been here long enough yet. But I have been going through some of the recent threads (partly to see what people were talking about on newer threads) and have read some interesting links.

Like others I find it interesting to hear the viewpoints of others who live in different circumstances and have had different experiences.

Urmstongran Sun 21-Feb-21 18:48:28

I found MaizieD educated me in realising that that national debt isn’t something to be feared. We are a sovereign state and can issue whatever fiscal means is deemed necessary. It’s not like ‘housekeeping’ money a lá Margaret Thatcher that has to be ‘paid back’. The whole, stupid, awful austerity measures by George bluddy Osborne decimated society - and wasn’t even necessary. Makes my blood boil to think about his wrecking ball tenancy as Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Thank you MaizieD.
?

diygran Sun 21-Feb-21 18:40:56

Aveline
As I Scot I was definitely NOT intimidated into keeping quiet about a No vote for independence. Unsure what I would vote if a second referendum happens. I voted No to leaving Europe but the North of England vote pushed that through.
I believe in considering a subject from all angles before making my mind up.

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Feb-21 18:35:14

I try not to be too stuck in my ways and ideas and have changed a few long-hold opinions over the years as I have learned more about the issues.

I can't think that this has ever been as a result of anything I've seen on GN, though it's always interesting to see and consider different opinions.

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 18:27:42

On the political threads its possible that people just don't want to get into conflict with those with vehement opinions. Eg re Scottish independence its such a hot potato and was so unpleasant at the time of the last referendum on it that No voters were too intimidated to indicate their thoughts until they were in the polling station.

Iam64 Sun 21-Feb-21 18:27:11

The first ‘issue’ that came to mind for me was the various discussions on transgender. They became heated and rather polarised. My views weren’t changed, in fact I found some of the lecturing, patronising posts in support eg of self ID so dismissive, my views probably strengthened.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 18:25:31

I was surprised to read on one thread that it appeared most on GN were, or had been, teachers or somehow involved in that profession.

Well, not me, definitely.

Made me look at certain comments with new eyes.

polomint Sun 21-Feb-21 18:24:00

I agree with honeyrose. Its good to read other opinions on subjects and I think it stops yourself from having a closed mind and to see things from another perspective

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 18:20:40

Yes, that's an interesting question.

Sometimes my strong feelings can cloud my thoughts and hamper my ability to reason properly. I'm a bit too impulsive for my own good with some of my answers, but that doesn't mean I don't go off and rethink my ideas after reading some posts.

My views on online learning have been greatly changed by discussion on GN. Last March I was horrified at the thought of it and said so. I am now persuaded it was a brilliant solution, particularly for secondary school pupils. It will never ever be a substitute for real face to face classroom learning, but GNetters using it effectively have convinced me of its value. So yes I have been swayed in one area.

Eloethan Sun 21-Feb-21 17:59:30

I don't suppose many people use Gransnet as an exclusive source of information. Just because people aren't published writers or journalists doesn't mean to say their opinions are invalid or can't be trusted. However, I tend to look at other sources as well to get more detailed information.

honeyrose Sun 21-Feb-21 17:42:52

I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m swayed one way or another, but reading the different points of view does often challenge my thinking. I don’t always see the bigger picture, so to read other points of view makes me think about subjects in a broader sense. I’m not a strongly political person, but I enjoy reading what others have to say.

Rosalyn69 Sun 21-Feb-21 17:41:47

I must be very frivolous. I don’t use gransnet as a source of information.

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 17:41:01

I was very much a monarchist at one time but alternative views on Gransnet made me think about it in more depth, of course I look at many other sources of information but it is sometimes a discussion on Gransnet that has got me thinking. I now feel that the monarchy has run its course and should be run down once the Queen has gone.
I’m still very much in favour of the Union but understand the Scottish independence argument better than before after being swayed by posters such as Alegrias who pointed out that it isn’t right for a country that have never voted Tory in any significant numbers to be governed by Tories voted in by the English.
I am a Conservative voter, nothing has convinced me otherwise but I do find that listening to the views of others makes me question and look deeper in to my own beliefs.
It is wrong to assume that, because I have been given food for thought by a discussion, I am too stupid to research further before changing my view.