Gransnet forums

Chat

Has Gransnet changed your point of view?

(39 Posts)
LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 15:50:24

I find my views of monarchy have been swayed by informed discussion. From monarchist to republican.
Also looking at Scottish independence from the informed view of the Scottish people instead of my English view of the Union.
Have your views been influenced by discussion on here? If so which?

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 16:20:34

Any opinions can only be those of some Grans and arent necessarily accurate or representative of the majority. Vociferous types are just that and you know what they say about empty pots...
Look for much wider sources of information than one small website for a small proportion of the population.

AGAA4 Sun 21-Feb-21 16:29:12

I haven't been swayed much by discussions on GN. I do like to think about the views of others but I tend to adhere to what I feel is right.

Grany Sun 21-Feb-21 16:35:14

Which way has your opinion of monarchy been swayed LauraNorder? For or against

Greeneyedgirl Sun 21-Feb-21 16:44:29

Some posters post links in support of their view and I often find this very informative, and have learnt a lot on here.

As to changing a point of view that is more difficult to say, because there is a lot of psychology behind why we hold certain opinions, and no amount of logical reasoning seems to make a difference.

You just need to look at climate change deniers, or Covid deniers for example.

eazybee Sun 21-Feb-21 16:45:50

No, because so much opinion is presented as fact.
So many sweeping statements are made, without evidence to support them, simply a link to an online publication that supports the posters' views.

Redhead56 Sun 21-Feb-21 17:03:05

I am not a person easily influenced by anyone I have my own opinions as everyone does.

timetogo2016 Sun 21-Feb-21 17:05:52

Same as AGAA4.

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 17:06:53

I tend to read what people have to say, then go off and do my own research, trying to find arguments on both sides. At least that way, I can come to my own conclusion on things rather than just following the links offered by someone with opinions one way or another.
I read most of the posts about Scottish independence and found it very hard to reach a conclusion as there were just so many points of view. The same with the royalty debate.
I wouldn’t say gransnet has changed my views - yet - but it certainly makes me think.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 21-Feb-21 17:07:51

It depends what the link is easybee. I find it useful because it shows that the poster is not simply opining on a subject of which they have no real knowledge. It’s always good to see other, even opposite, informed views.

Ilovecheese Sun 21-Feb-21 17:10:53

Yes, I have changed by point of view due to Gransnet. It was about forms of adress, whether women should be called actors or actresses. I used to think they should be actresses, but then a member, and I am sorry I can't remember who it was, pointed out that doctors are not called doctoresses, and professors are not called professoresses etc. I saw that point of view and changed my mind.

rafichagran Sun 21-Feb-21 17:16:42

No, not at all. I read posters opinions, and take a interest, but do not change my POV.

BlueSky Sun 21-Feb-21 17:28:02

Not swayed but interesting finding out how many points of views there are on the same subject.

M0nica Sun 21-Feb-21 17:37:47

On trivial things, but nothing major. What I do enjoy, although enjoy, is not quite the right word, is hearing the opinions of people from areas of life I have little contact with and as a result seeing life from a different point of view.

I also find discussions clarify my own view points because, if I am convinced about something, I like to make sure that I have got my facts straight, so research before I post.

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 17:41:01

I was very much a monarchist at one time but alternative views on Gransnet made me think about it in more depth, of course I look at many other sources of information but it is sometimes a discussion on Gransnet that has got me thinking. I now feel that the monarchy has run its course and should be run down once the Queen has gone.
I’m still very much in favour of the Union but understand the Scottish independence argument better than before after being swayed by posters such as Alegrias who pointed out that it isn’t right for a country that have never voted Tory in any significant numbers to be governed by Tories voted in by the English.
I am a Conservative voter, nothing has convinced me otherwise but I do find that listening to the views of others makes me question and look deeper in to my own beliefs.
It is wrong to assume that, because I have been given food for thought by a discussion, I am too stupid to research further before changing my view.

Rosalyn69 Sun 21-Feb-21 17:41:47

I must be very frivolous. I don’t use gransnet as a source of information.

honeyrose Sun 21-Feb-21 17:42:52

I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m swayed one way or another, but reading the different points of view does often challenge my thinking. I don’t always see the bigger picture, so to read other points of view makes me think about subjects in a broader sense. I’m not a strongly political person, but I enjoy reading what others have to say.

Eloethan Sun 21-Feb-21 17:59:30

I don't suppose many people use Gransnet as an exclusive source of information. Just because people aren't published writers or journalists doesn't mean to say their opinions are invalid or can't be trusted. However, I tend to look at other sources as well to get more detailed information.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 18:20:40

Yes, that's an interesting question.

Sometimes my strong feelings can cloud my thoughts and hamper my ability to reason properly. I'm a bit too impulsive for my own good with some of my answers, but that doesn't mean I don't go off and rethink my ideas after reading some posts.

My views on online learning have been greatly changed by discussion on GN. Last March I was horrified at the thought of it and said so. I am now persuaded it was a brilliant solution, particularly for secondary school pupils. It will never ever be a substitute for real face to face classroom learning, but GNetters using it effectively have convinced me of its value. So yes I have been swayed in one area.

polomint Sun 21-Feb-21 18:24:00

I agree with honeyrose. Its good to read other opinions on subjects and I think it stops yourself from having a closed mind and to see things from another perspective

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 18:25:31

I was surprised to read on one thread that it appeared most on GN were, or had been, teachers or somehow involved in that profession.

Well, not me, definitely.

Made me look at certain comments with new eyes.

Iam64 Sun 21-Feb-21 18:27:11

The first ‘issue’ that came to mind for me was the various discussions on transgender. They became heated and rather polarised. My views weren’t changed, in fact I found some of the lecturing, patronising posts in support eg of self ID so dismissive, my views probably strengthened.

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 18:27:42

On the political threads its possible that people just don't want to get into conflict with those with vehement opinions. Eg re Scottish independence its such a hot potato and was so unpleasant at the time of the last referendum on it that No voters were too intimidated to indicate their thoughts until they were in the polling station.

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Feb-21 18:35:14

I try not to be too stuck in my ways and ideas and have changed a few long-hold opinions over the years as I have learned more about the issues.

I can't think that this has ever been as a result of anything I've seen on GN, though it's always interesting to see and consider different opinions.

diygran Sun 21-Feb-21 18:40:56

Aveline
As I Scot I was definitely NOT intimidated into keeping quiet about a No vote for independence. Unsure what I would vote if a second referendum happens. I voted No to leaving Europe but the North of England vote pushed that through.
I believe in considering a subject from all angles before making my mind up.