Gransnet forums

Chat

Ready-made pastry

(40 Posts)
maydonoz Sun 21-Feb-21 15:54:52

Today, for the first time I used ready-made pastry, yesterday when I was shopping in Aldi I saw it, so bought one pack of shortcrust and one of puff pastry to try. In fact at Christmas I meant to get it to make sausage rolls but never got round to it or the sausage rolls!
So today I made a quiche with the shortcrust, the puff one is in the freezer for a other day.
Anyway the quiche was lovely for lunch and am impressed with the shop-bought pastry, will definitely use again.
Do you make your own or buy ready-made pastry?

Witzend Tue 23-Feb-21 17:24:25

I make my own shortcrust, dead easy with the trusty old Kenwood Chef. Haven’t used puff for years but would def. buy rather than make.

Grandmafrench Tue 23-Feb-21 17:30:56

I do actually make quite good shortcrust pastry - well, Nigel Slater always helps ! However for most pastry, especially puff, I buy circles of pure butter pastry, from the supermarket, previously rolled and just ready to drop into a dish. No rolling and very convenient.

Trisha57 Tue 23-Feb-21 18:06:42

I make my own shortcrust with my Kenwood, but always buy puff. I have been known to knock up a batch of "rough puff", which is much easier, but it's still a bit of a faff!

GagaJo Tue 23-Feb-21 18:12:11

As others have said, no point buying premade with shortcrust. It's just as easy to make. If I wanted puff pastry, I'd buy it ready made, but I don't like it much.

Nandalot Tue 23-Feb-21 18:17:00

I am notoriously bad with pastry; it is either too short and impossible to roll out or it is easy to roll out and rock hard. I am not even very good with ready to roll pastry so buy the precut circles. A cook I am not!

watermeadow Tue 23-Feb-21 18:27:29

I think people either can or can’t make good pastry and scones. I always could but arthritic hands have stopped me rubbing butter into flour.
I find bought puff pastry (all butter) is excellent but the shortcrust is hard when cooked. I have to confess to liking bought sweet pastry things, like mince pies.

kittylester Tue 23-Feb-21 20:04:21

I was very good at pastry until my stomach seemed that I should eat gf. Gf pastry is awful (or mine is!!) so I always but it.

kittylester Tue 23-Feb-21 20:04:58

Deemed not seemed!!!!

Greenfinch Tue 23-Feb-21 21:58:10

I don't generally buy pastry but needed to for my granddaughter's Food Tech lesson. Filo was required but the lesson never materialised and so I put it in the freezer.What can I do with it?

muse Wed 24-Feb-21 00:04:11

I buy a range of ready made.
Puff for chicken and mushroom pies and eccles cakes. Alway the block one to roll out. The sheets are no where near as good.
Filo for samosas
Shortcrust for quiches and sweet tarts. Again, always the block one.
Pizza dough

Useless at making my own.

CanadianGran Wed 24-Feb-21 07:08:54

Greenfinch, for the filo, I make a spinach/feta roll which is always a hit at gatherings. In fact I had one in the freezer which I had made late last fall for book group that didn't happen, so had it the other day as an appetizer.

LadyGracie Wed 24-Feb-21 09:35:57

I can cook, I can bake but pastry no, I have never successfully made it, despite numerous attempts in my almost seven decades.

Greenfinch Wed 24-Feb-21 11:23:14

Thanks CanadianGran. I have some feta cheese in the fridge so will give it a go.

Witzend Wed 24-Feb-21 11:28:18

Even in an old GH cookery book I still have (published early 70s) it said that there was no point in going through all the faff of making your own puff pastry when the bought variety was just as good, and very likely better ‘than anything you and your rolling pin can produce’. !