Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you reckon about tattoos?

(159 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 22-Feb-21 08:52:12

I don’t have any but 2 of my son in laws do and 3 of my grandchildren. None of them are particularly noticeable but I can’t say I particularly like them. I don’t like the ones that totally cover arms and/ or legs, though. I think they are ugly. Especially when people get older.

Tangerine Mon 22-Feb-21 10:30:50

Attitudes have changed.

From a personal point of view, I don't particularly mind discreet or small ones but I don't like ones that are so visible that they can never ever be covered and could prevent you from getting a job - e.g. facial tattoos.

I also wonder what happens as you age and your skin wrinkles.

Some small ones can look quite attractive. I live and let live on the subject of tattoos. It's an individual choice.

AmberSpyglass Mon 22-Feb-21 10:31:41

I have two and love them. I think full sleeves can look really beautiful.

BlueSky Mon 22-Feb-21 10:45:38

This topic has been done before but so have many others. If you are a long term member you have seen them all before. I used to find this when reading magazines, the same topic will eventually come round again.
As I said before they are not for me, I feel they are ‘defacing’ your skin, so to speak. But they are very popular and it’s up to the individual.

Ro60 Mon 22-Feb-21 10:49:12

I'm amazed how quickly this fashion has caught on.
6 years ago I moved near the sea & started noticing so many tattoo parlour & tattooed people then I visited my old friends & found the same up there too!
A couple of my friends have had tiny ones done but - like many things, they're not for me.
However I do have 2 piercings: 1 in each ear. ? Hard core me.
I'll stick with my bangles & beads.
Yes the art-work is quite something but the though of having it for life?
I wonder what the next generation will be up to.

Oldwoman70 Mon 22-Feb-21 11:02:17

I can't say I like them even though my father had a small tattoo on his arm (ex-serviceman). I have younger family members who have them - I think they spoil their appearance but it is their decision.

It is up to individuals whether to have them or not but I think it is a shame it isn't possible to have a temporary "tattoo" in the place and design someone wants so they can live with it for a month or so and then decide whether they want it permanently.

I agree some tattoos are very artistic, but there are many which are badly done and look awful.

Cherrytree59 Mon 22-Feb-21 11:12:19

Love both the Glasgow and Edinburgh ones thistle wink

Franbern Mon 22-Feb-21 11:15:38

I detest them. Have never changed my opinion on them. Back in the 1980's No. 2 daughter - just turned 18 years old, asked if I could help her with a project and get some pictures of Unicorns. Stupid Mum made special trip to Library and photocopied some for her. A week or so later she asked if I would help her with applying cream somewhere she could not reach. Concerned, I asked why the Doctor had given her this - and she said it did not come from the Doctor, and then showed my the back of her shoulder where there was this new tatt of a Unicorn.

I was not a happy Mummy - she remembers me saying to her (although I am sure I did not), that only sailors and prostitutes have tattoos, and I know she did no have a boat)!!

When she got married, several years later, she wore and off-the-shoulder wedding dress to show this tatt off. Few years back she had it re-coloured. I know her hubbie has a couple, the main one (which is obviously different) is information about his serious medical condition.

I really do not like to arms covered in so-called body pictures. Not sure if I am in minority of one these days - but pleased that none of my other children or g.children have had these.

Alexa Mon 22-Feb-21 11:16:05

They all look better on young skin.

I wish I could say I have seen a single one with artistic merit but I have not.

Luckygirl Mon 22-Feb-21 11:23:59

It's not about social acceptability any more, but for me it is about the permanence. We all know that as people we change as we grow older and you might find yourself 20 years later hating the tattoos.

Dye your hair or shave it all off and it will return to nature at some point in the future. Have a tattoo and you are stuck with the darned thing and can only get rid of it with surgery and scars.

BlueBelle Mon 22-Feb-21 11:42:58

Coming from a fishing town I grew up with most of the men having arm tattoos
Each of my children have a fairly discreet tattoo and one of my over 20 s granddaughter has a very smallish flower just above her hip They ve all gone through the rings in ears, nose bellies and ‘nips’ but again all discreet not great big things
I ve always wanted a small ghekko on my shoulder but don’t think it’s worth it now
I don’t like sleeves and abhor the neck tattoos I had a lovely lady manager who literally has them everywhere both legs arms, some on neck and back a very very good manager and a lovely lady She adores them
I don’t think they make a person better or worse and with the younger generation they will have none of the negative attachments that we had

MartineMagali Mon 22-Feb-21 12:32:05

Awful, unnecessary and potentially dangerous!

leeds22 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:36:17

Really don't like them, unless they are on a Maori.

SueB14 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:36:45

I hate them. Why would you want to disfigure your body?

Missingmoominmama Mon 22-Feb-21 12:48:33

I don’t like them personally, but I wouldn’t judge anyone else for having them (unless they were on the neck or head- that just strikes me as a bit daft!).

Blossoming Mon 22-Feb-21 12:50:10

I don’t like them, so I don’t have any ?

Lesley60 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:51:02

I have always hated them, but my husband got his first tattoo of our beloved 12 yr old dog who left us lat year and I cry every time I see it cos it’s just like him.

Mazz21 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:51:40

I never liked tattoos and still am not a fan of a body load but a couple of years ago a few of us family members had the Down’s syndrome extra chromosome one done.
We have a very special lady in our family who is now 25 and when her mum and sister both decided to have this tattoo, myself, my son and my nieces all had it done too.
My son and I went together to get ours done and it was an incredibly bonding experience. He has gone on to have more substantial tattoos since but I’ve stuck to just the one.
I think when I was a kid my mum drilled it into us that only unsavoury people had tattoos and to avoid those people hence the stigma if that was the common belief.
My tattoo is on the inside of my wrist so isn’t always visible but actually I’m wishing I’d had it done somewhere more prominent.

cornishpatsy Mon 22-Feb-21 12:59:18

I am trying to choose between micro-blading and tattooing when they are open again.

Does anyone have experience of either?

Bossyrossy Mon 22-Feb-21 13:05:22

They don’t look great with a wedding dress.

Nana27 Mon 22-Feb-21 13:07:24

Like lots of others here I don't like tattoos and would never have one myself but I can appreciate that some are real works of art. But the thing
I find really odd is when people have a tattoo they cannot themselves see, e.g. on their neck or back. I just don't understand the point of a tattoo visible to someone else but not to the person who paid to have it on their body. I don’t want to see it and they can't unless they do contortions in front of a mirror where it will be backwards anyway.

TanaMa Mon 22-Feb-21 13:14:04

Hate them with a vengeance - times change and I know they are more acceptable today but, if I was looking for a partner, I still would never contemplate someone with tats. Looking at people like David Beckham gives me the heebie jeebies - ugh!! Thank goodness my late husband nor my children have ever found the desire or need to follow this horrible trend.

Millie22 Mon 22-Feb-21 13:15:05

Oh not tattoos again. The most discussed subject ever apart from Brexit and Harry and Meghan.

Millie22 Mon 22-Feb-21 13:15:57

Oh I forgot cushions ?

Mapleleaf Mon 22-Feb-21 13:17:55

Personally, I don't like them, but a lot of people do, so it's a totally personal thing.
I can't imagine why anyone would want their body covered in tattoos, but of course, plenty of people do so. To me, lots of tattoos look ugly but that's just my own opinion and many disagree. Down to personal preference, as I say above.

EthelTheTank Mon 22-Feb-21 13:21:25

I think they look quite nice on other people