Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you reckon about tattoos?

(159 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 22-Feb-21 08:52:12

I don’t have any but 2 of my son in laws do and 3 of my grandchildren. None of them are particularly noticeable but I can’t say I particularly like them. I don’t like the ones that totally cover arms and/ or legs, though. I think they are ugly. Especially when people get older.

Serendipity22 Mon 17-Jan-22 08:16:53

Ali08 haaaaaaa.

Ali08 Mon 17-Jan-22 02:41:52

I have 4. All can be hidden by clothing. I regret one, and hope to get it covered someday. Maybe with a coffin....estranged husbands name! Lol

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 22:20:53

I really should have learnt by now
?

rafichagran Sun 16-Jan-22 22:15:58

Yes I only noticed it after I had posted.

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 22:08:47

Old thread ?

We've been caught again!!

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 22:06:51

Sarnia

A bit of a Marmite post. You do or you don't, really. I was brought up to view tattoos being fine on sailors and nobody else. Not my thing but equally fine for those who like them.

Lots of sailors in my family and not a single one has a tattoo!

However, one DD has a very discreet one.

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 21:38:40

I don't get tatooes. But I have many friends with them, from small and discreet, to more or less all over. Each to their own.

rafichagran Sun 16-Jan-22 20:10:14

Hetty58

Tattoos? Again? I agree with Calendargirl -if we're scraping the barrel - try hairdos, silk scarves, favourite biscuits maybe?

I have to disagree, the OP wanted to discuss it, I dont think it scrapes the bottom of the barrel. People can read something else.
I have a tattoo and I like it, it represents something close to me. It is not particularly noticable though.

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 19:58:31

In my view you cant scan the archives of GN for ever and ever looking to see if your thread has been posted previously ( that search thing doesnt work, ive tried it several times before starting a thread ) so you either post a reply or scroll past.

Right, about tattoos nanna8 ....
I would never have 1, if people want them then thats up to them.

My son and daughter have them, my mum saw my daughters and looked horrified ( Chinese lettering on her shoulder ! Nooo idea what the heck it says) my daughter fibbed to defuse the awkward situation and said it was henna. My mum licked her finger an TRIED to rub it off... hilarious ( despite the fact i don't like them i thought the whole thing unfolding before my eyes was so funny )

HowVeryDareYou Sun 16-Jan-22 19:11:35

I've never wanted to get one. My husband, both sons, their girlfriends, are all the same.

My (late) dad had tattoos done during his time in the war, and they didn't look nice when he was old and wrinkly. To each his own, though - it's personal taste.

boheminan Sun 16-Jan-22 17:24:27

LadyStardust - don't forget that awful wrinkled prune look that any tattoo will inevitably turn into.

I can't believe another thread on tattoos has been unleashed, it's the fourth or fifth I've added to, and always it ends up in two camps - a bit like Marmite really.

LadyStardust Sun 16-Jan-22 15:11:23

I'm really glad I read this thread. Apparently I'm tacky common as muck, scruffy, awful, disfigured, horrible, ugly, self mutilated, dirty and I look like a masculine sailor god, a twat, with skin that resembles the inside a public lavatory. You lot on here really know how to make a girl feel good about herself. sad sad sad

Dabi Sun 16-Jan-22 14:36:45

It's easy to judge a book by it's cover. When my kids were in primary school there was a troubled mum who could not get her kids to school properly, mental health wasn't a topic then. Her partner was a man completely tattooed black with designs, only his eyes weren't. My kids called him 'circus man.' Well how we soon admired him as he bicycled the youngest to school every morning beaming in his clean uniform, clutching his lunch box - the older ones having walked themselves in. This wonderful man kept this up for years, doing the school run. His positive example I'm sure contributed to the eldest girl's fantastic scholastic achievements. You really can't judge a book by it's cover! wink

LMW1 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:52:04

I love Tattoos on me and on others. It's an expression and artwork all in one. Mine are a journey of names in my family and in my heart ♥️

Elrel Fri 05-Mar-21 01:08:01

Some young women have them after domestic abuse. I think they feel a tattoo is a way to reclaim their own body.

Alishka Tue 02-Mar-21 23:04:28

I remember grumbling that the two tattooed dots I had on my breast which delineated the area to be radiated as part of my BC treatment were black = the colour of death, to me. Why not red, I asked?
I LIKE red!grin

WishIwasyounger Tue 02-Mar-21 10:26:13

I don't like lareg visible ones, but I have a discreet one that no one sees nowadays.

bikergran Tue 02-Mar-21 09:04:39

I know someone that had their belly button pierced for their 50 th birthday. Yuk.

Jaxie Mon 01-Mar-21 17:37:33

Beware of men with tattoos because they were sailors or prisoners? What’s the matter with sailors? I married one and he looked great in his uniform ( no tattoos though).

Yorki Mon 01-Mar-21 01:24:30

I don't mind Tattoos on men, not sure about them on women though. I personally don't have them, one of my sons and my daughters have them. Again I don't like them on my girls. But regardless of that, they all eventually they go an awful mucky greenish colour that sink into wrinkles as we age, then they look awful, no matter who has them.

Lin663 Sun 28-Feb-21 21:16:55

Tacky, tacky, tacky....I hate them with a passion

cornishpatsy Sun 28-Feb-21 18:51:57

I like tattoos however old saggy skin is unattractive with or without tattoos.

Grandma11 Sun 28-Feb-21 18:28:40

On young skin they are fairly clear and the picture and any text well defined, they are also obviously permanent.
The problem is that as we all age and skiing becomes less taught and elastic, the picture and text becomes nothing short of a dry wrinkled mess and a blurr.
As a young Nurse l worked in a Skin clinic where Tattoo removal was offered, it was painfully messy, a similar procedure to having a skin graft done, and very expensive as it’s not something offered on the NHS.
Some of the larger Full sleeve type Tattoos will be permanent with no chance of removal due to their sheer size, the fashion for them is bound to change in coming years, and many will live to regret having had them done in the first place IMHO.

Annlilyoliver Sun 28-Feb-21 18:21:23

I read a bucket list about things I should have done by the age of 70
The only two things I hadn’t done was have a tattoo and get arrested
I got a small lotus flower tattoo on the inside of my ankle. I love it. It cheers me up It wasn’t painful and the salon was state of the art. Times change

jerseygirl Sun 28-Feb-21 18:13:51

I am 65 and last year for my birthday i had a tattoo put on my wrist. Its both my grandsons names (one lives in Australia) I love it and i feel they are both with me all the time.