Gransnet forums

Chat

I am a reader but my family aren't

(137 Posts)
polomint Wed 24-Feb-21 11:08:53

I love reading, books, magazines even sauce bottles! My children dont read and neither do my grandchildren and they are now adults. They have had plenty of opportunities as there have always been books about and my nose is usually in one. My parents were great readers. My husband reads but not a great deal. I think they are missing so much enjoyment and learning things about life etc. Is reading not popular now due to internet? Yet waterstones are busy, amazon sells books. Granted libraries are closing. Are you reading more than usual due to lockdown or dont you read?

M0nica Sun 28-Feb-21 14:16:19

This why I try not to jump to conclusions about those who read very little and the pointless argument between books and Kindles.

Both have their place and that place is as variable from person to person as reading tastes and circumstances are.

cornishpatsy Sun 28-Feb-21 18:54:37

M0nica, I live in a very small cottage and reading 3 books a week do not have the space to keep any.

Reference books are soon out of date so prefer to research using the internet and prefer a kindle for fiction.

M0nica Sun 28-Feb-21 19:08:11

That is why I asked cornishpasty.

I think you had your tongue in your cheek when you wrote what you did, wondering how people would respond to an admission of so few books in the house and on your Kindle. It it recently acquired.

Aveline Sun 28-Feb-21 22:31:17

I was and remain the archetypal bookworm. I was taught to read at 3 and have been reading voraciously ever since. I used to get so fed up at being told to put my book away and go out to play. When I had my own children I decided I'd never do that. They'd be allowed to read as much as they wanted.
Funny thing life. Neither of them ever liked reading and always preferred to go out to play!!

annodomini Sun 28-Feb-21 23:03:36

There has never been a time since I learnt to read (I was 4) when I've been without a book on the go - sometimes more than one. My grandparents subscribed to two children's periodical story magazines and sent me book tallies (I thing that was the name) towards the cost of a book I could choose for myself. I read every night to the boys when they were young and they became voracious readers - one of them read all the parts of The Lord of the Rings when he was seven and the other, in his teens was hooked on Stephen King. I was a bit shocked when my father handed a copy of a Jackie Collins book to him when he was 16! Nowadays they are busy men without so much time for books and it seems that the small screen has taken over their leisure time.

Mollygo Tue 02-Mar-21 09:24:45

annodomini did you have Sunny Stories magazine when you were little? I was another early reader and I remember my Grandma reading that to me and then letting me read it to her.
Aveline, I remember being told to get my head out of that book and go and play.
Were you also told that you’d hurt your eyes by reading so much?
We didn’t have a TV but watched it at my Grandma’s. Then then it was ‘watching too much TV will hurt your eyes’.
Now it’s ‘too much screen time will damage your eyes!’
But here we all are, still reading.
My children both love to read and my grandchildren too, not all to the same extent. The lure of the screen is strong for one GS, but he asked for a Kindle for Christmas 2019 and that goes with him most of the time.

Shropshirelass Tue 02-Mar-21 09:35:16

I have a kindle but don’t like reading on it! I love books and much prefer to pick up a real book. I enjoy reading but don’t seem to have the time - even in lockdown - that’s a long story!! My DH doesn’t read books only the occasional magazine, I don’t even get round to these! I think I must get more organised and make people round me do things for themselves then I can read! My children were avid readers, especially my oldest daughter, she loves books too. I have shelves of books that were ready for retirement reading, still untouched but I will read them.

annodomini Tue 02-Mar-21 10:09:56

Mollygo, yes, Sunny Stories! I was delighted when it arrived each month (I think it was monthly) and simply devoured the stories. Was that the magazine that was owned by Enid Blyton? It might have been the other one which I think was called 'Playways'. I've always loved stories and still do - have no time for the kind of authors who sometimes seem to win critical acclaim and even prizes for novels with little apparent story!

Mollygo Tue 02-Mar-21 10:54:10

Annodomini I don’t actually know whether Enid Blyton owned it, but thinking back to the content it certainly seemed to be full of stories like hers. This called up such lovely memories of my Grandma.

annodomini Tue 02-Mar-21 11:35:44

Mollygo, when I Googled Sunny Stories, I found lots of Sunny Stories Annuals on offer, one of which had an introduction by Crawfie, the Princesses' governess. When I also Googled Playways Annual, the stories there were by Enid Blyton 'and others'. I expect I had either or both of these annuals. If only I had kept them, they'd be worth a bit, but not as much as Rupert Bear!

Alishka Tue 02-Mar-21 22:39:29

I was watching a programme about Billy Connelly the other evening and he talked about a book which he'd gifted to many friends - A Conspiracy of Dunces. YESS!! Always knew we had a connectiongrin