Gransnet forums

Chat

which singers do you think are over rated?

(208 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 24-Feb-21 11:33:51

Following on from the thread about actors - which singers do you think are over rated?

For me it has to be Sting - all his songs sound the same and he just sings the same words over and over again.

pascal30 Sat 16-Mar-24 12:34:40

I loved Van Morrison when I saw him live in Bristol and stayed on taking requests from the huge audience for a good hour, with the staff trying to stop him..

paddyann54 Sat 16-Mar-24 12:28:15

I cant say theres anyone I cant stand,not a fan of Tom Jones in his young days but a more recent gospel based album is great.I often buy albums for just one song ...and the cover ,I put the covers on my wall.I've always liked singer songwriters so people like Cat Stevens and James Taylor in my teens and still like singer songwriters,nowadays its Paolo Nutini who is the pick of my bunch but I like some tracks by lots of other artists.Currently I have The Snuts,Ollie Alexander and the Black Pumas on repeat .I love new music.There are hundreds of new singers and bands well worth a listen.
I would never dismiss everything an artist has recorded,theres often a gem amongst some dross

Witzend Sat 16-Mar-24 11:56:09

TBH 95% of the ‘singers’ who fill our town centre with their screechy or breathy ‘emotional’ voices, backed up by blasted backing-track amplifiers.
In my perfect world they would all have to be auditioned by me.
Not that I’m a grumpy old hag or anything, perish the thought!

Purplepixie Sat 16-Mar-24 11:32:33

Kylie Minogue
Paul McCartney - stick to writing the songs
Madonna
Adele
My list is endless!

Esmay Sat 16-Mar-24 11:06:42

Mariah Carey has vocal range of five octaves . With an incredible gift like that it's a shame that her songs don't reflect her gift .
I once had to sit through a Lulu concert to please a friend .
Her voice is terrible .
My head ached for hours .
Didn't like Cilla Black and I don't rate Paul McCartney either .
I prefer opera singers But -
I like Adele and I liked jazz inspired Amy Whitehouse .
Otherwise , if we are talking pop - I love most Tamla Motown singers .

DanniRae Sat 16-Mar-24 10:17:17

Cilla Black - Prince - Paul McCartney (Nowadays) - I'll be back when more come to me! grin

Jewelle Sat 16-Mar-24 09:53:59

Kylie Minogue

Greyduster Sat 16-Mar-24 09:20:51

I’m another who has always thought that Alfie Boe is overrated. He was over promoted by Classic FM, as are many basically mediocre musicians. I don’t listen to much (any) popular music these days, but I liked Sinatra’s early recordings. Never been able to stand Tom Jones, the man or the singer. Loved Eva Cassidy, Stevie Nix and Christine McVee.

honeyrose Sat 16-Mar-24 08:52:38

I can’t understand why some have mentioned Frank Sinatra as being overrated. I think he has a beautiful and distinctive voice, but as someone said, we all have differing opinions. FS did lose his voice as he got older as many singers do.

Luckygirl3 Sat 16-Mar-24 08:44:11

I detest Leonard Cohen - he has no voice at all, and his lyrics are pathetic.

biglouis Sat 16-Mar-24 01:45:34

Agree about Bob Dylan - has a voice like a rusty saw but I always found his music compelling - Masters of War, Hard Rain etc

Ive always liked Madonna and Tina Turner. Edith Piaf's voice still makes me go cold.

I could never understand what people saw in Michael Jackson. Some of the 60s groups were also pretty crappy singers.

Oreo Fri 15-Mar-24 20:54:58

Ed Sheeran.
Alright if you enjoy a male singer who only seems to have a sensitive side.Sounds like he needs the Kleenex passing.

flappergirl Fri 15-Mar-24 20:37:01

I think there ought to be more categories for this thread really. Some of the artists cited so far are exceptionally talented songwriters and musicians (Elton John, Paul McCartney, Adele and Bob Dylan for example). In other words, they are far more than just singers.

Whereas Madonna for example is not an exceptionally talented singer or dancer and, to the best of my knowledge, has never written songs or played an instrument. Ditto Victoria Beckham. So basically I don't think it's a fair competition!

Primrose53 Fri 15-Mar-24 20:09:33

Haven’t read all this thread but for me Ellie Goulding is the most over rated. She always has to strip off to her underwear and flash her flesh. I know she’s not alone in this but aren’t any of them brave enough to make a stand and just impress us with their vocals instead of showing off their thongs and bralets.

62Granny Fri 15-Mar-24 17:28:22

Never liked singers who screech and could never understand the fuss over Tina Turner or Lulu, who I have seen but wasn't impressed.

honeyrose Fri 15-Mar-24 16:59:53

Just realised, looking at the dates, that this thread has come to life again! I agree about Cilla Black’s voice - like a screech owl as my late dad would’ve said, although I did like her singing Alfie, but maybe that’s because I like the song. Can’t abide James Blunt’s voice or the Warbler as we call him in my house. Liked Elton John, but past his sell-by now. Not keen on Kylie’s voice as, although it’s not unpleasant, she’s now trying to sound much too young!

Luckygirl3 Fri 15-Mar-24 16:54:03

I liked Sting when he was singing with Police. His attempt at singing madrigals later in his career was cringeworthy!

petra Fri 15-Mar-24 16:52:10

QuntBizkit

Rag n Bone Man is overrated - a one-dimensional bellow with vibrato like roadworks.

Ah 😂 I see we now have BOTS resurrecting old threads .

Gingster Fri 15-Mar-24 16:45:36

Katherine Jenkins 🫣

QuntBizkit Fri 15-Mar-24 16:34:57

Rag n Bone Man is overrated - a one-dimensional bellow with vibrato like roadworks.

effalump Sun 28-Feb-21 12:41:53

I agree. I hate shouty singers using 'vocal gymnastics'. Once in a while is fine, but most of them seem to think the more they do it the better they sound. 'Fraid not. Most of them will need surgery on their vocal chords by the time they're 40. I'm showing my age here but Frank Sinatra, Dolly Parton, Cillla, Robbie Williams? Far more listenable than today's singers, most of who I couldn't even name. You'll not hear any of them in forty years time.

NotAGran55 Sun 28-Feb-21 07:30:43

Elvis . I will never understand the appeal as long as I live .

Gran16 Sat 27-Feb-21 23:14:51

Cant believe no one has mentioned Morrisey yet .. his voice is awful and so depressing.

Loved George Michael and Karen Carpenter.

My Dads favourite band was The Platters and I spent many hours with him near the end of his life listening to his CD. He had alzheimers but he could still sing along with them even though his memory was shot to pieces. The music had a real calming effect on him and I love it now too

rubysong Sat 27-Feb-21 22:21:15

Madonna, very ordinary.

Blinko Sat 27-Feb-21 20:06:28

Can't stand Kate Bush. Nor David Bowie and my biggest dislike is reserved for Frank Sinatra. Who told him he could sing???