Gransnet forums

Chat

How often do you change your bedding ?

(143 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 24-Feb-21 20:34:27

I always change our king size bedding once a week, and think there’s nothing nicer than climbing into freshly laundered sheets, I always make sure I get in first ?

Alexa Thu 25-Feb-21 11:07:39

I am tired of changing the duvet cover and have bought a 7.5 tog washable duvet from M and S that I intend to use with no cover. I dry stuff over the radiator anyway, and I find polyester quilted things dry readily.

grannygranby Thu 25-Feb-21 11:10:51

I change my nightwear (pyjamas) every couple of days. bedclothes less often every three weeks? When I used to sleep naked changed bedclothes more often.

Paperbackwriter Thu 25-Feb-21 11:20:52

"When I win the lottery I will pay a lady to change the bedding every day."
Bit sexist there vampirequeen! When you interview your candidates for the job, I hope you'll give equal consideration to the gentleman applicants!

Romola Thu 25-Feb-21 11:21:00

I'm amazed that so many people change their bedding so often. All that water and electricity can't be doing the environment much good - or their bills.
For us, every 3 weeks in the winter is fine, more often in hot weather if necessary.
Oh and by the way we share a bath every second day.

4allweknow Thu 25-Feb-21 11:23:52

Once a fortnight. Occasionally change pillow cases more often. For those who change weekly how on earth do you get them dried when not using a tumble dryer. Always choosing a good drying day gave me a laugh! Would be lucky to get one of those a month in the winter. Other than on the occasional dry day outwith summer I use a dryer to take the most of the wet out then finish off drying on a screen.Also, all those obsessive washers how many iron bedding? High content cotton bedding looks a mess unless it ironed. Airing the bed every day is a must for me.

springishere Thu 25-Feb-21 11:24:53

I too have a sheet under the duvet. Seems logical, as it's much easier to wash a sheet than struggle putting on a duvet cover each week.

Alexa Thu 25-Feb-21 11:25:20

Romola, I agree with you. I am not amazed though. Most older people are unable to be unconventional.

RosesAreRed21 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:25:26

I absolutely love getting into a freshly made bed.

sandelf Thu 25-Feb-21 11:31:35

Single bed week 1, king week 2, towels week 3 - with clothing, kitchen towels etc as and when. Try to keep washing machine use to once or twice a week. After reading the posts, I feel a bit of a freak. We shower every day, and if anything looks grubby then I'd wash it.

Smileless2012 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:34:25

Once a week and I put the bedding on an airer to dry, never tumble dry it.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:35:52

I know of a lady who took her three young children off for a break to the seaside for 10 days, she changed the four beds before left, as wanted the children to have fresh sheets when arriving back, she left her husband at home, unbeknown to her until arrived back her husband had slept in all four beds he also loved getting into freshly laundered sheets too, she was furious, ???

inishowen Thu 25-Feb-21 11:35:54

A friend took her student son to his new accommodation and put new bedding on for him. This was September. When she went to collect him at Christmas he hadn't changed the bedding. He said he didn't know how to do it!

humptydumpty Thu 25-Feb-21 11:41:26

I seem to recall reading that a sheet under the duvet was not good because it reducaes the warmth of the duvet - it's supposed to 'settle' round you, and the fewer layers of fabric between you and the duvet the better..

Fennel Thu 25-Feb-21 11:44:05

How often? Don't ask.
As we get older it becomes almost impossible physically.
Also we don't sweat so much.
We've improved now as we have a cleaning lady and she does it. We still do the laundry.

Cambia Thu 25-Feb-21 11:44:34

Once a fortnight but I air it everyday!! In summer and in Greece once a week. Hate drying sheets in the Uk but love it in Greece as they are dry in half an hour and straight back on the bed smelling of sunshine and fresh air.

Gingerbit Thu 25-Feb-21 11:48:33

Once a fortnight sheets pillow slips every week because it is such a struggle for me being disable

Damdee Thu 25-Feb-21 11:52:01

Funny how on this thread everyone in the beginning said once a week, then as soon as someone admits to once a fortnight then other people say the same. I hate changing bedding - it's such hard work and since it is only me who sleeps in the bed I change it when I feel like it.

I agree with whoever said about leaving the bed to air, I always do that but I truly can't believe there are people who change the bed twice a week - I am far too busy for that.

Juneandarchie1 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:52:25

LauraNorder

Twice a year

??????

lizzypopbottle Thu 25-Feb-21 11:55:31

I sleep alone so probably not enough but I might do it today. Without a sweaty man in my bed, or any (ahem....) 'goings on' ? it doesn't need doing as often.

nanna8 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:56:02

Once a week . I hang it out to dry outside, nice and fresh. We have a retractable clothesline at the side of the house under the eaves. If it is hot I change the pillow slips every couple of days. Iron everything, can’t stand crumpled sheets.

Alioop Thu 25-Feb-21 12:03:41

Every week. Live on my own so only one bed to do, brilliant!

Florida12 Thu 25-Feb-21 12:06:15

Once a week.

Gannygangan Thu 25-Feb-21 12:07:33

Twice a week

I just love clean sheets

Gannygangan Thu 25-Feb-21 12:09:30

Iron everything, can’t stand crumpled sheets.

And well done, Nanna8. I'm sad to say my sheets haven't seen an iron for years

My Grandma ironed all hers. Always a job done on a Monday as well. Never really understood why!

Gannygangan Thu 25-Feb-21 12:10:49

but I truly can't believe there are people who change the bed twice a week - I am far too busy for that.

Oh please don't accuse me of lying!

It isn't a big job in the greater scheme of things