Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think your 'new normal' will be after the lockdowns?

(73 Posts)
Santana Thu 25-Feb-21 08:45:04

Apart from having lots of new words in our vocabulary that we didn't have a year ago, and a special relationship with our hairdresser, what permanent changes has the pandemic made to our behaviour?
Some things will fade over time, but others will be entrenched in our psyche.
At the moment, I can't imagine mixing with people or getting on a plane. Hand gel will always be in my bag too.
For so many Covid itself has had a tragic effect on lives and health, so I'm not being flippant in this post.

BlueBelle Thu 25-Feb-21 08:49:46

My new norm will be exactly the same as my old norm i will travel to see my family, I will go back to work, I will have lunch with my friends, I ll go to the cinema, I ll go on the beach and walk and swim, I ll go on the bus My later life has always been fairly simple so I have no great ambitions just small ones
I hope this gradually happens over the next year

vampirequeen Thu 25-Feb-21 08:50:39

I think some of us will remain cautious for a while but then we'll get used to people again. I've never been one for crowds so I'll continue to visit places where there tend to be fewer people. Others, who don't mind being in crowded spaces, will return to their pre-pandemic norm.

Those of us who get flu jabs will simply add another jab to our Autumn list and get an annual Covid jab too.

MerylStreep Thu 25-Feb-21 09:02:51

Exactly as it was last Feb/ March. Although last Feb/March we weren't meeting on the beach.
One of my/ our favourite get togethers was with 6/8 neighbours once a month in each other's houses.

Greyduster Thu 25-Feb-21 09:06:10

I think some actions will be entrenched in us for some time to come, and I will still feel safer wearing a mask in crowded spaces, carry on washing my hands and face when I’ve been out, and avoid public transport if I can until my confidence, which has been severely sapped, returns. I will probably feel a bit better after we’ve had the follow up vaccination.

Calendargirl Thu 25-Feb-21 09:16:47

I am hoping not to ever feel obliged to hug and kiss others when meeting in the street or where ever.

Have never felt comfortable with that.

I think I will keep my distance from others for quite a while.

I have never been a tactile person, and no close contact with others has not been an issue with me, although I know so many others have different views on this.

Cabbie21 Thu 25-Feb-21 09:19:09

I agree with Calendargirl.

My main interest is singing in choirs. I am not sure how soon this is going to be safe.

Peasblossom Thu 25-Feb-21 09:21:15

Oh yes calendar girl. Never to have to do that awkward kissy kissy thing again. Bliss.

I hope we’ll continue to play online games together, although probably not once a week like we do now.
And I hope the family WhatsApp group keeps going.

Mapleleaf Thu 25-Feb-21 09:22:20

I think it will take a while for full confidence to be regained, so it will likely be a gradual return to a new normal. I, too, think mask wearing will be around for quite some time to come.

I’m looking forward to getting back to the things I did before such as meeting up with friends, going back to classes rather than zooming them, going out for the day and so on. I still feel hesitant about travelling abroad once we are allowed to, as so many places are still well behind with their vaccination programme.

I probably won’t go for a mooch around town on Saturday like I used to do as it has lost its appeal, and yet, conversely our towns are going to need our support, so perhaps I will go, but less frequently.

I’ll feel a lot better once I’ve had my vaccinations.

Strange times ahead, I think, as we adjust, but adjust we will.

Grannynannywanny Thu 25-Feb-21 09:22:55

I think it will be slow and steady till the self confidence hopefully builds up again. I feel mine has taken a battering and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Galaxy Thu 25-Feb-21 09:25:29

I think some habits will have changed. I will continue to shop online, it's so much easier? I wont use the car much (I hope) I wont use the office as much.

tanith Thu 25-Feb-21 09:25:45

As a norm I spend plenty of time on my own, so I’ll see family and they’ll visit. I’ll go back to doing my own shopping seeing a friend now and then fly out to see my son and family. But you are right I think the hand washing, gel and masks are in our psyche now forever.

Kate1949 Thu 25-Feb-21 09:49:47

Hugging people other than family has always seemed ridiculous to me. Hopefully that will stop.

BigBertha1 Thu 25-Feb-21 10:02:43

I hope to go back to doing all the things I enjoyed before - golf, walking in the countryside, going to restaurants and concerts, with my daughter. I'm not a big hugger anyway and I always washed my hands a lot but will always carry sanitiser now. I'm not fond of crowded places anyway so not much different for me except being out of the house everyday and not have to cook or provide a meal 3 times a day.

BlueSky Thu 25-Feb-21 10:11:47

Same as Calendar. I’m not a (very) sociable person anyway, so nothing much will change. Just be nice to be able to go wherever we want to go without restrictions. No nightclubs and festivals for me tough! grin

LauraNorder Thu 25-Feb-21 10:11:56

Another here who hopes the hugging of everyone will disappear. My own children and grandchildren excepted of course.
I will continue to wear a mask and keep my distance from others in indoor public places in winter. I’ve enjoyed not catching winter colds this year.
I look forward to meeting friends and family in outdoor spaces during summer and will wait to see the lie of the land in winter.

NellG Thu 25-Feb-21 10:14:04

Another vote for the new normal being no hugging/kissing non family. It may be the one good thing that comes out of this for some!

Other than that, I don't think things will be very different for me. I think it'll be a while before I book a holiday though, happy to wait for the dust to settle where that's concerned.

Jaxjacky Thu 25-Feb-21 10:16:04

I’ll be hugging family and the couple of friends who live on their own and who’ve found this very hard, we used to hug anyway.
I’ve online shopped for three years as I dislike shopping, so that will continue, friends in for coffee, family for meals. All done very gradually. I’ll be more conscious of distancing when I am out, fresh air in the house and car, hand sanitising. Really looking forward to the resumption of Fridays down the local, if it’s distanced tables, masks and table service, so be it. I can also restart voluntary work. I won’t be doing any of until a) allowed and b) I feel comfortable.

Witzend Thu 25-Feb-21 10:17:46

Much the same as the old normal, I expect, though probably with more hand washing.
And as a pp said, no hugging and kissing non family. A dangerous foreign habit we should never have adopted! wink

henetha Thu 25-Feb-21 10:18:48

I'm looking forward to being able to drive further, to the seaside and walk along beaches collecting sea-glass.
Also to going out to coffee or lunch with my grandchildren,
and old friends.
But I think I will feel wary for quite a while and keep the mask and hand-gel going.
I'd like to visit my sister in Scotland who has been very ill with covid.

Redhead56 Thu 25-Feb-21 10:28:51

To hug my three granddaughters is my priority I miss them so much. My daughter lives up in Colne I WhatsApp her but get upset after the call. Never while talking to her because she tends to get home sick occasionally I think she’s coped very well. Seeing our friends is a priority too long time friends like family.
I have been using hand gel and wipes since my little premature twins were born. They are four now but it’s a habit I won’t drop just to be on the safe side.
Hopefully going to a rugby match we miss this very much.

Rosie51 Thu 25-Feb-21 10:35:12

I'll break ranks then, looking forward to having hugs with friends as well as family grin If that makes me ridiculous, fine. I'll also look forward to shaking hands with people again, common in the UK, but thought to be a "dangerous foreign habit" by many east Asian countries amongst others.
I'll be jumping on a plane to see my Canadian family just as soon as both countries OK it. Any amount of mask wearing etc will be worth it.

Kim19 Thu 25-Feb-21 10:38:51

100 per cent with Bluebelle on this. I plan/hope to return to my previous life which was unspectacular but wonderful for me.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 25-Feb-21 10:38:58

I shall do my own shopping while I am still able. agreed, hand gel (it's been in my handbag for years) will remain so will mask wearing (hate them, but needs must). I'm itching to go for a holiday of sorts. Hoping my clubs and classes restart in the Autumn and going to church, hope to be abler to sing the hymns!

Tangerine Thu 25-Feb-21 10:41:34

I plan to get back to how I was before but not instantly on 21st June!

Slow but sure is the way to go. In a way, who knows?

After 21st June, I hope things get easier and easier.