Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(65 Posts)
12Michael Fri 26-Feb-21 06:12:28

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry outside but looks like its a little colder as well this morning here in Brackley .
Today , small shop and return to watch cycling on Eurosport, later check to see if one of my new prescriptions is ready for picking up.
I got my meat chilled pack from Parsley Box yesterday lunchtime , anyway the steaks , mince , sausages etc are in m small portions so was able to fit them into a freezer compartment .
Take Care,
Mick

Grandmabatty Fri 26-Feb-21 08:03:32

Good morning all. It's a bright day in Polmont but cold at 3° and there's been a frost. Much too cold here to plant out until April. I had a look in the garden and the crocuses are beginning to poke through. I planted bulbs in a bed in the front garden but as fast as they peep through, rabbits nibble them. However it all is a sign of spring approaching. Yesterday was a nothing day for me. I heard from a few people and had a chat with a good pal at night. My grouchiness of Wednesday disappeared. I have a visit to the chiropodist this morning and then this evening we are having a family zoom night. My son has organised an escape room where we have to solve clues and escape with something. It'll be something different I suppose. Apart from that,I'll have a quiet day pottering about. Gagagran that's such good news about your husband's op. I'm going to have my second cup of coffee now so I will love you and leave you.

BlueSapphire Fri 26-Feb-21 08:08:55

Good morning everyone from a bright and frosty Northampton. Need to have a walk to the surgery later so will wrap up nice and warm and enjoy the crisp morning.

A busy morning yesterday, washed kitchen and both bathroom floors, then a Sainsbury's delivery. Looked dry and sunny after lunch so gave the back lawn its first cut of the year. Looks a bit untidy as I set the lawn mower on high, and it was hard work, but should be easier next time.

Reknitted the neck of my jumper and it looks a bit better, still, who's going to see me in it in lockdown? !! Hoping to start on a new cardigan once I've sewn the jumper up.

DS's birthday today - he is 42, where did those years go? He came down yesterday and collected his mended jacket, and his birthday present and card.
We had a good chat through the front door glass. Pre Covid the whole family would have been out for a meal to celebrate, but hopefully we can do that in the summer.

Must get moving. Have a pleasant day everyone.

Marydoll Fri 26-Feb-21 08:13:07

Good morning all from Glasgow, a bit cool at the moment, but we are promised sunny spells later on.
That means that the washing will be going out, instead of in our tumble dryer, which is getting noisier and noisier, it sounds like a jet engine! ?

I am going to gloss over yesterday's traumatic, dental visit. No anaesthetic and an in the chair for an hour with an arthritic jaw, not pleasant. An NHS crown won't be suitable, so I'm going to have to take in laundry for the foreseeable future to pay for the treatment.
To top it all, the tooth next to it is apparently infected, so more treatment awaits. Ouch!
However, my dentist was amazing, so kind and kept apologising, as it was a more difficult procedure than anticipated.
I did want to take the scissors to his lovely red hair, (reminded me of DS2), which kept flopping over his eyes! ?He obviously hadn't been to a barber's for the last year. ✂️✂️✂️✂️✂️
RA is such a cruel, insidious disease, silently destroying your body. Most people think its just about sore joints, it has cursed most of the females in our family.

For the first time in a year, I was in the butcher's, the very one I went to with my mum, when I was a child and right across the road from the long demolished, Victorian tenement building, I was brought up in. DH parked beside the land where my first primary school had been. I was quite emotional.
How can I not remember where my car keys are, but I have so many vivid memories of those days?

Being in the butcher's was like being in a sweetie shop, I spent a fortune, because Tesco butcher meat doesn't really compare!
I used to get excited going shopping in town, now I'm getting all worked up over some bones for soup!!!!
Don't tell the dentist, but I had another strawberry Danish and this time it made it home unscathed, along with my long anticipated, potato farls! I can tell you, they surpassed my expectations. ?

All joking aside, this small step into the world gave me a tiny glimmer of hope, after being incarcerated for a year.
I shall repeat the process in a fortnight, when my new tooth will be ready. I'm expecting Securior to deliver it, given the cost!!!?

Really glad to see EV back, I was worried, but guessed why she wasn't here, when I tried to PM her.
Good news for Mr Gaga at last and thinking of Georgesgran and her DH
My dear, sassenach friend, Nan Kate, I'm so sorry to hear you are unwell, I hope you get some relief soon. ?
Have the best day you can folk!

Gingster Fri 26-Feb-21 08:14:23

Good morning all from a bright but frosty Essex. Wall to wall sunshine forecast ?

Our neighbours opposite are moving today, so there will be a lot of activity in our small road. They’re are a nice family, so will miss them.

gagagran good news about your DH’s op. Hope all goes well.

I will make a lemon drizzle cake today as the last of the fruit cake was devoured yesterday. It’s nice to have tea and cake in the afternoon as we normally don’t eat lunch. Our breakfast is getting later and later, so we don’t need anything until mid afternoon, then dinner at 5 ish. Strange times ! ?.

Wishing you all a painfree, worryfree and pleasant day.
??

Greyduster Fri 26-Feb-21 08:19:59

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It’s bright and clear but very cold in South Yorkshire. There was another hard frost in the night. We had a good, enjoyable walk yesterday afternoon but I feel as if I’ve been hit by a bus this morning - everything hurts! It wasn’t even a strenuous walk! Hope I can shake it off as I have a pile of ironing to tackle later. Other than that, nothing much planned.
I suffer much Yorkshire pudding angst, Elizabeth, especially as DD’s are lofty and miraculous. Mine are shocking! Auntie Bessie has become my best friend! Keep plugging away!
Have a good day folks.

baubles Fri 26-Feb-21 08:27:27

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire. It a beautiful, bright, sunny start to the day, that in itself lifts my spirits.

Yesterday we spent a while tidying in the garden and chatted to a neighbour then on my dog walk later I crossed paths with two different neighbours at separate points on my walk. Can’t remember the last time I spoke to so many people in one day.

It’ll be another day of pottering with the added bonus of sunshine I hope.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.

simtib Fri 26-Feb-21 08:27:28

Yes a beautiful morning here in Essex. Have to go down to Hockly today so Gingster if you are anywhere near the route from Braintree a slice of Lemon Drizzle would be very nice.

harrigran Fri 26-Feb-21 08:46:03

Good morning from a sunny NE.
My younger sister, under 65, was over the moon to acquire two appointments for her vaccination.
My elder sister, in Germany and 80, will get hers the second week of March. She does not want the AZ vaccine as Frau Merkel has refused it because it may not work ?
Quiet day again in chateau shielding.

grannysyb Fri 26-Feb-21 08:52:04

Good morning Mick and all. Another place with a hard frost. Off to allotment, DH cut up the old shed door yesterday to make shelves for our new shed, recycling! Going to put them up today. Hope everyone has the best day possible.

Anniebach Fri 26-Feb-21 08:52:50

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Feb-21 09:05:58

simtib my longstanding friends lived in Hockley spent a lot of time there when the children were little. Are you close Freeport?

Grammaretto Fri 26-Feb-21 09:07:35

Good morning from the Scottish Borders where it is sunny but only
4°C Brr
Excited with you gagagran and hope the operation goes ahead successfully.
I heard of 2 more deaths of friends this week and another who has contracted covid from her DGC's nursery. She is at home on her own and wasn't sounding too ill when I spoke to her so maybe the vaccine has helped (she has had one dose of the Pfizer)
Like baubles I came across several neighbours whilst on my walk who told me the above news.

EkwaNimitee Fri 26-Feb-21 09:13:49

Good morning, Mick and all from the Cumbrian coast where we have another sunny day. Yesterday I managed a stroll along one of the harbour piers along with quite a few others enjoying the sun. I envied the grandad with his grandchildren, mine are in Surrey and Australia though the latter are now young men too old for walkies with Gran.
Marydoll, RA is a dreadful disease. My maternal GM was crippled with it from a relatively early age. I was so afraid of getting it myself that I had the blood test back in my early thirties and was so relieved when it was negative. Fortunately, none of her descendants has inherited it.
And your comment re Tesco meat...I can buy lamb, say, from them and local lamb from the butcher, it's as though it's come from different species, such is the difference. Unfortunately, that butcher is quite a long drive away.
Today, a little tidying up and hopefully a bit of pottering in the garden before my Tesco delivery .
A pleasant day to all hopefully.

Gingster Fri 26-Feb-21 09:14:41

Simtib you would be most welcome to have a slice of my lemon drizzle. We’ve also spent a lot of time in Hockley Woods

NannyJan53 Fri 26-Feb-21 09:17:11

Good morning from a frosty Black Country, but with bright blues sky. So it looks like a lovely day in store.

Meeting a friend for a walk this morning, she lives on her own, so I try to make sure we meet up at least once a week for a walk.

So sorry you that you are in pain NanKate and that your GP do not seem to be too interested. I really hope the Consultant can help. My SIL suffered with it early last year, but seems to have it under control now.

Homemade battered fish and chips tonight.

Great to see you back EV we all missed you.

Wishing you all a good day

GrannySomerset Fri 26-Feb-21 09:31:27

Bright and frosty this morning, lawn still white but will emerge as the sun touches it. Blackbirds busy but not sure quite where they are building. Hope neighbourhood cats can’t reach.

Tesco run this morning but nothing else else planned. I have nothing particular to be miserable about but am aware that it is a very long time since I felt happy. Anyone else so afflicted?

Sympathy to Marydoll and NanKate and anyone else suffering. Hope we all have the best day we can.

oliversnana Fri 26-Feb-21 09:40:58

Good morning from a very bright North Leicestershire.
A there seems to be some good news filtering through here today. Let's hope it continues.
Babysitting again today.
Dd3 is at hospital getting a new cast 12 weeks in plaster so far up to another 6. She fell off a pony.
Missing absent gners and wishing all those will work a good day

polomint Fri 26-Feb-21 09:41:05

Good morning all from central scotland where it is mild and sun peeping through now and again.
Plan today is to clear out the big unit in dining room. Like * marydoll* I collected thimblescyears ago , so they need a good dust and rearranged...well it gives me something to do. There are also mementos, souveniers, weddingvfavoursxetc that I aske myself, do I really need to keep them. I've read on a few threads, that people are getting rid of their memories?, if that's the right word, and decluttering.
Then I need to order paint for garden fence. I'm fed up with the usual darkish stain and might go for a light green or blue
Take care

Nannagarra Fri 26-Feb-21 09:47:21

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it is mild and gloriously sunny. Love it!!!
Yesterday we tried to make oven bottom muffins. The results were edible but not still not right. Today DH, teasingly competitive, wants to swap recipes, thinking mine just needs a little tweaking! If any one of you lovely people has a fail-proof recipe for me I’m up for it.
Atm like some others I’m struggling to make Yorkshire puddings. When DSs lived at home and roasts were eaten every Sunday I made big puffy YPs without thought. Now though...lol.
Good news about Mick’s PB delivery. It’s also a thumbs up that some have holidays to look forward to (I hope you manage to rebook Susan56) and that Mrgaga and Kate can soon have the treatment they need.
Thinking of Auntieflo, Georgesgran and Marydoll ?
Wishing you all the best possible day.

Mapleleaf Fri 26-Feb-21 09:48:22

Good morning everyone,
Greyduster has our forecast spot on. Lovely weather for getting wrapped up and going for a walk.
I was woken up at 3 am this morning by a couple of gas vans parked on the road outside the bedroom window. It looked as if they were investigating the source of a possible leak as they seemed to be listening through long rods they put on the path surface. Anyway, to get back to my point, there was a keen frost covering cars at that time.

Welcome to the GM thread, Hiraeth. We have another poster who posts from Germany.

Take care all, and to anyone suffering in any way, I hope today brings you some respite. ?

Blossoming Fri 26-Feb-21 09:51:52

Good morning all from a cold bright Lancashire. Mr. B is having his first Covid vaccine today, for which I am very grateful. Wishing you all a good Friday.

Stilllearning Fri 26-Feb-21 09:56:18

Morning everyone from S Lanarkshire. Big excitement today is a possible visit from a local joiner to give me some ideas about installing the garden room I spent all last year thinking about. It involves removing the garage which I never put the car in, and was consequently filled with family clobber. I did get as far last year as hiring a skip and getting it emptied but that was the extent of it.
Now however I am hoping to press ahead. I know that things generally are looking fairly hopeful but I have a feeling I’ll still be spending a lot of time at home and definitely no holiday in the sun this year. Unless there’s a heatwave in Oban?!
The chap seemed very nice on the phone and he has a good reputation so fingers crossed.
Good wishes everyone.

Gelisajams Fri 26-Feb-21 09:59:58

Good morning from a sunny Morecambe Bay. Yay! I’ve done my exercises so it’s time to think how to make the most of this lovely weather. I think it will be be a bit in the garden then a walk. If the café by the shore is open it could well be a bacon and tomato bap as they call them here, for an alfresco lunch.
I always think dental treatment hurts more in the pocket than the mouth Marydoll however uncomfortable the treatment is. Hopefully you will have a lovely smile for us in a couple of weeks.
Thoughts to all who are struggling in so many ways.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

hulahoop Fri 26-Feb-21 10:22:21

It's a very bright ?day here in West Yorkshire it was very frosty first thing .bedding in washer oh will hang it out .hopefully a walk after lunch ,I have just made appt at dentist for filling to be redone ?

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 26-Feb-21 10:30:25

Good Morning all from sunny (but chilly) Harrogate. I have a wash blowing on the line hoping it dries like yesterday wash did.
So glad your DH has his op next week, Gagagran
We are hoping to take the car for a sunny spin after coffee, maybe persuade DH to stop at a shop (what's that I ask myself)

DGD was doing a school zoom, they were asked to set up a shop to learn about money and counting. Nearly 5 year old announced she didn't have any coins, can she use a credit card?
Marydoll I do love your wee stories, they so remind me of my favourite city. Sorry about your RA, though. My Mil had it. Strangely it has missed my DH, it's me that is more arthritic, not RA, not as bad.

Have the best day possible folks, tomorrow is another day.