Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh please help me Wise Women of GN

(101 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 19:09:33

Hello
Oh woe is me. I would honestly really appreciate your advice.
I will probably post this in small segments because I keep losing stuff.

Blossoming Mon 01-Mar-21 21:08:04

It was the ‘help’ that caught my attention, I don’t think I’m a wise woman.

LauraNorder Mon 01-Mar-21 21:16:54

I was just having a little joke Blossoming, I thought it was the sort of thing that would amuse FannyC

Lovetopaint037 Mon 01-Mar-21 23:33:16

Getting into a bath is okay but getting out is a whole new ball game. If you can afford to replace or add a walk in shower that would go a long way to help you. You can get seats to sit on for showers which is another aid. There are many aids to help everyday activities. Do hope your dh gets over his reaction to the vaccination in the next couple of days, If you don’t feel up to dealing with things at the moment do you have children or other relatives who you can help you to deal with sorting out help for you both?

nanna8 Tue 02-Mar-21 02:03:28

It might have been said before, I haven’t checked but getting out of the bath I turn onto my knees first and find that helps and you are less likely to slip.

FannyCornforth Tue 02-Mar-21 06:53:49

LauraNorder

I was just having a little joke Blossoming, I thought it was the sort of thing that would amuse FannyC

And it did Laura, I actually tittered out loud! (TOL)

Elizabeth1 thank you for your message. You sound like a really lovely lady.

I'm definitely looking at what can be done re the bath. I've known for a while that it's going to be an issue, more for me really.
The good news is that DH is definitely on the mend re his reaction to the vaccine. I was incredibly worried about that. I'm in no way, shape or form an antivaxxer by any stretch, but I was wondering whether he should have it.

I'm going to have a cup of tea now and prepare myself for the ordeal of phoning the GP surgery hmmbrew

Riverwalk Tue 02-Mar-21 07:13:58

Fanny I don't know how many bathrooms you have but if it's only one then don't get rid of the bath too quickly. As you suffer from chronic pain I'm sure you must find comfort in a warm bath at times.

I've recommended this bath lift so many times on GN that I should get a commission! It's battery operated, involves no plumbing and is removable.

bath lift

video

FannyCornforth Tue 02-Mar-21 08:19:32

Thank you Riverwalk that looks amazing! Really, really good, and only £200 too.
Only one bathroom, and yes, I wouldn't want to got rid of the bath. I've always favoured them over showers. I couldn't be doing with the hassle either at the moment (or ever, to be honest!) Thank you again. That lift is a definite possibility / probability.

I've also managed to get an appointment with my GP of choice, so things are looking up!

MerylStreep Tue 02-Mar-21 08:39:02

FannyCornForth
Re the bath lift. I don't know what your general health is ( strength) These devises can be awkward to get out of the bath to clean underneath ( think mould)

oliversnana Tue 02-Mar-21 09:29:35

Ok dear. There are quite a few choices really. Could you walk with a rolator? I bought my mum one and it was a big help. She had hip replacement quite young. Dad also had arthritis.
Also a scooter might be nice as you have more independence. Although can be heavy.
Try contacting social services they are there to help. You may be able to get grants from the council to help with any adaptions to your home.
Don't struggle ask for help you may be able to get funding and employ your own help if you need it.

Blossoming Tue 02-Mar-21 11:28:21

I hadn’t realised it was a joke. Kindly disregard my answers.

LauraNorder Tue 02-Mar-21 13:24:30

My fault Blossoming, I should have added a smile.smile

Mollygo Tue 02-Mar-21 21:34:59

Hope things are better today FannyCornforth. I’m amazed at the knowledge shared on here and thanks Riverwalk I’m going to investigate if that bath seat would fit in our spa bath. I can only use it if I have DH to help me out.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Mar-21 21:58:36

I had a look at the Bellavista bath lift, then went and had a look at our bath.

As I understood it, The bath lift seat would be level with the bath edge, to enable you to get onto the device.
You then sit sideways onto the seat, BUT you then have to be able to lift your legs up and over into the bath.

Have I got that right?
Being able to lift hour legs could prove a problem.

Can someone please let me know if my thinking of this is correct. Thank you.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Mar-21 21:59:32

Should read Bellavita, apologies.

Riverwalk Wed 03-Mar-21 08:10:35

Yes you have that right Auntieflo but you are doing this from the safety and comfort of sitting down, so you might find it do-able.

Franbern Wed 03-Mar-21 09:22:26

You can use both hands to lift each leg. However, cannot find anywhere how 'high' the seat is when in the lowest position.

Jaxjacky Thu 04-Mar-21 16:31:29

Fanny how’s things? hope GP appointment went well.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 08:20:45

Hello Jacky, thank you for asking.
Yes, DH is getting much better now, thank goodness.
The GP has changed my medication.
It's pregabalin and tramadol now instead of amitriptyline, so I'm currently half asleep most of the time.
I also found out yesterday that as DHs carer I am now entitled to a vaccine, so I eagerly await being called up.
Thank you again

GranEd Fri 05-Mar-21 10:10:30

Hi FannyCornforth!
Glad your DH is a lot better now. ? What a scary experience for you both.No wonder you were upset ?.
I’m half asleep a lot of the time as well ... and that’s without medication! ?
My DH has dreadful trouble getting out of the bath. He’s had umpteen falls - a couple of which ended up with him breaking his ribs - so I’d like to thank Riverwalk for the Bellavita Bath Lift link.
I read your recommendation on Tuesday morning, showed it to DH (who is loath to admit he has any problems!), ordered it Tuesday teatime and it arrived and was in use yesterday! It’s a big success. He loved it. That’s one worry less. Thank you again Riverwalk. ?
FannyCornforth I think this is going to be a good investment.

GranEd Fri 05-Mar-21 10:13:30

FannyCornforth
Here’s hoping you get called soon. ?

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 10:17:27

Hello GranEd thank you for your kind comments.
That's brilliant about the bath lift!
Well done you. And well done "Riverwalk*, she's evidently helped a lot of people.

V3ra Fri 05-Mar-21 10:21:15

Fanny you can book a vaccination here:

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

We booked ours on Monday. We still haven't heard from our GP so booking it yourself might be quicker.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 10:29:15

Thank you V3ra but it won't let me, I'm not eligible yet.
It says wait to be contacted.

V3ra Fri 05-Mar-21 10:58:48

Oh I thought you'd be able to book as a "main carer" ☹️

Riverwalk Fri 05-Mar-21 11:18:22

GranEd

Hi FannyCornforth!
Glad your DH is a lot better now. ? What a scary experience for you both.No wonder you were upset ?.
I’m half asleep a lot of the time as well ... and that’s without medication! ?
My DH has dreadful trouble getting out of the bath. He’s had umpteen falls - a couple of which ended up with him breaking his ribs - so I’d like to thank Riverwalk for the Bellavita Bath Lift link.
I read your recommendation on Tuesday morning, showed it to DH (who is loath to admit he has any problems!), ordered it Tuesday teatime and it arrived and was in use yesterday! It’s a big success. He loved it. That’s one worry less. Thank you again Riverwalk. ?
FannyCornforth I think this is going to be a good investment.

GranEd oh I'm so glad to hear that! I don't work much these days but I'm a nurse and visit people in their own homes to assist after they've had surgery etc. Over the years I've seen a number of bath aids in use and the Bellavita is by far the best, particularly as no plumbing involved and the good price.

Someone upthread mentioned mould - you just need to every now and then give it a good rinse and dry, particularly under the suction pads.